Thread: Carve Foam Decoys?

Default Carve Foam Decoys?

Anyone carve foam decoys?

Books, sites, where to get foam, knives?

Thinking about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Dexter GETS IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII
    :ACC: :ACC: :ACC:

I've been seriously thinking about this as well. Here's a good tutorial. http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum...hp?f=15&t=5247
    *2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion*

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    "The Gamecocks are hammered dog shit"

good link. thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Dexter GETS IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII
    :ACC: :ACC: :ACC:

Lots of folks over at the Refuge decoy forum carve foam. Probably a demo or two over there as well. Check them out as they'll likely be your best resource.

Foam can be found at the big box stores. Don't need much in the way of knives from what I understand.

Don Mintz is the man when it comes to foam decoys, he goes by woodduck31 on most of the other sites. Here's a few ruddys he made for me:

damn, those are nice send me a pm so I can get some of those or some like it
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

bean, he's over on duckhuntingchat.com and goes by woodduck31. Sorry, but I don't have is email anymore or I would have posted it.

Those are as nice as I've seen. How much you got in them?

These are my ruddy dekes. I make them out of lexan and just toss them out randomly

bayraider, you are turning me into a UGA fan...one post at a time
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by cusportsman View Post
    I've been seriously thinking about this as well. Here's a good tutorial. http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum...hp?f=15&t=5247

That really is a good thread and you can learn alot from those guys over there. I've made a couple but none quite as nice as some of those made over there. Last year I made a ringneck or two that I restle coated instead of the burlaping they do over there. I only did one, I just wanted to see how it would hold up over the course of a season before I made a bunch(the restle coating is much less time consuming than the burlapping).

I cut out the basic shape with a saw, do the shaping with a wood file, add some feather details with the file, cover with whatever medium I choose, and then paint. I really enjoy the whole process. One note on painting: I use just latex house paint for my blacks and whites on divers and if I need color I just use cheap acrylics from wal mart. I've found that if I let them sit 3 or four months before using I don't even need a clearcoat. You just can't hunt over them if you make them right before the season. So i'll hunt the blocks I made after the season last year starting Wednesday!

Good luck, it really adds to the experience hunting over blocks you made with a dog you trained yourself.

i'm really wanting to start doing this and turning a few calls myself too. i would love to kill a duck over a few decoys i carved, with a duck call i turned, out of my 16ga SxS
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

This is a good forum also, they have some good tutorials.

workingdecoys.net

Ive carved a couple using a plainer and a dremmel. Never looked at any tutorials just started carving. They take a good bit of time but its nice having decoys u carved out in the spread. I cut a slot inn the bottom with a dremmel and put a long peice of lead down the middle to act as a weighted keel and it worked pretty good.