Thread: Tapes to MP3???

Default Tapes to MP3???

Have any of yall transfered your old tapes to mp3? And if so what did you use?

Nobody here has tried this?

would venture to say most of these necks don't know what a mp3 is. they can get all the skynard & 38 special they want right there on the radio...

OK, how many of you have taken your tapes and downloaded/ put them to your computer?
    Last edited by Steelin' Ducks; 06-17-2009 at 04:56 PM.

it's more of a pain in the ass than it is worth! Once CD technology became the standard and you could burn discs as fast as your PC would crank them out all the tapes went in the garbage. I just replaced them with CD's from other downloads.

What tapes are you wanting to convert?
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

but hey if you want to try it then I can tell you what to do, or at least a way that it can be done. I'm sure there's an easier way to do it but it's the way I know how to do it and the way I use to convert DAT tapes. Only difference is I never converted to MP3 it's a lossy format and I was concerned about the digital quality.

1st you will have to be able to have coaxle connections on your PC to your sound card. You will need to hook up your Stereo and Tape player to your PC via the coaxle connections.

From there you will need to have some recording software on your PC. Here's where you can get that: http://www.milosoftware.com/en/index.php?body=cdwave.php

Play your tape and have the software record the playback of the tape. Once it's done playing you will have one HUGE wav file that you will then need to cut up into tracks. Once you have everything cut into tracks like you want them then you can convert the wav files to mp3. From there I'm sure you know what to do......

Hope that helps!

So, it sound like a pain in the butt. I have a load of tapes that I just re discovered. Hank Jr , Chris Ledoux and Charlie Daniels. I hate to throw them away.

so these are store bought tapes?

I guess what I'm trying to say is if they are old store bought tapes, not live recordings and the such, well then YES it's more trouble than it's worth! I'd take note of the album title and the songs that you like and go buy them on itunes. Much easier and would probably be worth the money considering the time it would take the transfer the tapes to mp3 yourself.

That is the answer I was looking for. Thank you.