Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Albino" catfish

Default "Albino" catfish

You don't run across one of these everyday..

My father-in-law's cousin caught this last summer on a bush line in the Edisto. Only the second one I've ever seen, and by far the largest. He kept in a cage over that weekend, and the folks from the aquarium in Charleston came out and picked it up that Monday. It spent something like six months in quarantine having some kind of bacterial infection treated. You can see it live and in person in the freshwater tank where it will live out its days with a few bass, gars, bream and redbreasts. Technically it's not albino, but I can't remember the scientific name they listed for it on a sign next to the tank.

Very cool...........

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

white power

Here it is in the tank:

That's pretty cool

i shot one bout two years ago........ wish i could have kept it alive... it did eat good tho...

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    i shot one bout two years ago........ wish i could have kept it alive... it did eat good tho...
    Kinda hard to keep it alive with its inards hanging out. They say that aint healthy.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

that's a pretty cool story.

dds, could you not tell that it was an albino when you shot it, or did you just want it for that reason?
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

yea i could tell.... we seen if from about 30 yards off... it was glowing like a trash bag in the water.... almost didnt go over to it but i did... and it was an albino catfish... so i shot it.... there was no other way for me to catch it...

really cool fish.... something you dont see but once or twice in a lifetime... its amazing that thing survived for as long as it did... it stuck out like a sore thumb

Come on SM, that was weaker than water.

What you meant to say was, "Hey asshole, do you indescriminantly kill everything you see as a rule, or does it vary depending on how much you've had to drink?

I must say, I don't see the point in killing it just because it's an albino.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Nice, dixie...where'd you shoot it?

Amazing these got so big, seeing how they stick out so bad. Guess once they reach a cetain size they have no predators, unless they run into a really big catfish...

I caught one years ago, also in the Edisto, but it was only 5" long or so...who knows, maybe it's the same fish my wife's cousin caught?!?

By the way, the term just came to me...it's "hypomelanistic" supposed to be different from the term albino, but damn if I know exactly how...

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
    I must say, I don't see the point in killing it just because it's an albino.

I DIDNT... I KILLED IT TO EAT IT.... I SAID IN MY POST, IT EAT GOOD...

I WOULD HAVE ALSO KILLED IT IF IT WOULD HAVE BEEN YELLOW, OR BLUE...

THANKS

Shot It On The Cooper River......

Kill em all is my motto!

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by TealTapper View Post
    By the way, the term just came to me...it's "hypomelanistic" supposed to be different from the term albino, but damn if I know exactly how...
    I think hypomelanistic means that they don't lose all the melanin (dark or black) pigment only part of it. The eyes are normal colored usually.

Albinism is when they are missing an enzyme (can't remember the name) that forms melanin, hence they can't make any.

That is way cool though.

Nice fish and I bet he had a hard life when he was small.
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 05-19-2009 at 02:14 PM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

the eye on mine was pink... i guess mine was true albino?

I'd shoot the shit out of an albino deer in a skinny minute so I must admit that I woulda shot said shit of this catfish as well. Why protect a mutant? What's next you want me to stop beating hell outta midgets?

Teal trapper an older gentleman showed me some pics of that fish takens with an old school camera the other day...

neato!
    xHCFKx

I'd like to thank my dad for coming, and my mom for being there...