Thread: Trotline thoughts

Default Trotline thoughts

Every night I've been out someone is putting out a trotline right smack in the middle of Lake Greenwood. They put 2-3 out so you have to weave in and out on the main body. I'm not a big trotliner, is this common?

I run 'em here on Lake Murray in 15 -18 feet or less of water. Jugs on top, mainline and hooks 4-6 feet underwater. If someone hits mine....they had to work pretty hard to do it.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

I like to run mine in shallow water as well - 6-10 feet, parallel to an undeveloped shoreline with a relatively clean bottom (mine will find every stump within a mile). Mark the ends with the appropriately colored marker float - the line itself will be deep enough to avoid prop entanglement.

Working on a new method:

End Anchors - Concrete weights with nylon rope long enough to reach the deepest depth I would be fishing - float (and tag, on one end) will be fixed to one end. The OTHER end of the rope will slide through the eye bolt on the anchor, with a long-liner (gang-rig) clip on the end. Slide the rope through and clip it to itself to adjust depth.

Trotline will be of standard configuration, but with long-line clips on the ends to make it quick to "clip" to the anchor lines, at whatever depth I choose. I DO like to suspend it a little off the bottom.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Why not just tie the end to a tree on the bank? Why use floats?

I ask this because I know nothing about running a trotline and have seen some tied to trees on the banks of rivers.
    Last edited by Geetch; 04-23-2009 at 01:15 PM.

Have to have float by law to mark it. Has to be certian color and size.

But trees on bank or in the middle work fine.