Thread: short barrel turkey gun

Default short barrel turkey gun

will an 18.5" barrel pattern the same as a 26" with a .665 choke tube (theoretically)?

i always heard that after a certain length, the shells reach their max velocity or something like that. I would think it would be fine. I've got some short barreled guns that pattern better than my 28-30" barrels. Maybe some of the experts can tell better than me.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

id like to have a short barreled shotgun with a pistol grip... for turkeys
    Last edited by millero; 04-01-2009 at 08:20 PM.

For every inch less than 30 inches they say that you lose 10fps, so with that much of a difference is velocity, you will likely see a difference in patterns, to what extent only the pattern will tell you.

They say "theoretically" it it would be the same.........but I like my longer barrel for security hence I do not believe it.........

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

will find out shortly and report.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    will find out shortly and report.
    Post the pattern pic's when you do........I'm interested in seeing what kinda difference it makes.............

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

No. You will have to be 7 1/2 in. closer with the shorter barrel.

I'm using a 20" barrel with a scope on my 870 and a Jelly Head choke. The pattern looked pretty good when I checked it the other day. We'll hopefully find out for sure soon.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by skrimp View Post
    No. You will have to be 7 1/2 in. closer with the shorter barrel.
    Bwaaaaaahhhhh......now thats funny right there I dont care who you are........

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    i always heard that after a certain length, the shells reach their max velocity or something like that. I would think it would be fine. I've got some short barreled guns that pattern better than my 28-30" barrels. Maybe some of the experts can tell better than me.
    The theory is that with modern smokeless powder, the powder has burned in 18". Back in the black powder days you needed more barrel to burn the powder off and get the full use out of it.

A longer barrel, up to a point, gives you a better sight plain.

In my opinion, and from experience with my gun when I had it worked on, the forcing cone is much more important than barrel length in ensuring a better pattern.

Most guns come from the factory with a ¾" forcing cone. I had mine extended to 1½". Not only does it pattern way better with turkey loads or regular field loads, it reduced felt recoil tremendously.

By extended the forcing cone it allows the shot to get pushed together more slowly by giving them more distance to do it. Instead of the shot having to all squeeze into the tighter cone at once, it sort of gives them room to flow in. This cuts way down on shot deformity also which can booger a pattern up and cause holes in it.

I don't know for a fact but I imagine extending the forcing cone also lowers pressures. But I'm only guessing on that.
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 04-02-2009 at 03:38 PM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."