Thread: question about 20 guage range

Default question about 20 guage range

I took a young man on his first turkey hunt on saturday. While it ended with no shots fired, it will be a hunt he remembers for the rest of his life. Located a bird on a ridge across the drainage from us mid-morning and closed the distance to about 100 yards. Set up with him and his father on a tree about 3 yards in front of me. Put a hen decoy down a logging road to our left and had a big blow-down in front of us with a drop off to our right. Once set up, I let go with a series of yelps and the bird immediately cut me off. I have never heard a bird spitting and drumming from such a long distance- must have been 80 yards. We watched him strut back and forth down the ridge for at least 5 minutes, putting on a hell of a show. Once he got to about 35 yards, he had to decide on going to the logging road or around the drop-off side of the blow-down. For some stupid ass reason, he went around the blow-down, rather than to the decoy, which meant the little man was going to have to shift his youth model 20 to the right. At about 28-30 yards, the gobbler saw the movement, putted a few times, and you know the rest, headed for the next county. Apparently, the boy's father was whispering directions and didn't want his son to shoot beyond 25 yards.

So, to my question: what is the effective range of a 20 guage with 2 3/4" plain jane number 5's? I figured it was 35 yards or so, but I have never hunted turkeys with a 20.
    Carolina Counsel

I'd take a 30 yd. shot w/ a 20 if that was all the situation allowed. That's about max I'd want though. Patterned my first gun from when I was a kid, a .410, a few years ago just messing around. It blew a hole through 1/4 in. plywood at 15 yds. So just saying the smaller guages will get it done if you can hold it on them.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

His dad was doing a good thing telling his soon not shoot past 25 yards with only a 20. While it might reach out farther than that, 30 would be about my limit as well.
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

It's all about pattern density. It all depends on how far out your pattern is what you consider lethal.

Keep in mind... magnum 20 gauge ammunition has ALMOST the same muzzle velocity as the equivalent 12 gauge load. The PAYLOAD is what is smaller.
    Last edited by Swamp Rat; 03-30-2009 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Had to add "almost"
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

how many pellets are in a 3" #5?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Depends on the size of the BB's and the weight of the shot.
    "There are no strangers here only friends who haven't met "

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    It's all about pattern density. It all depends on how far out your pattern is what you consider lethal.

Keep in mind... magnum 20 gauge ammunition has ALMOST the same muzzle velocity as the equivalent 12 gauge load. The PAYLOAD is what is smaller.
    Well said. A 20 will carry about as far as a 12, but once it gets there it won't have as many shot. It starts out with less shot and will lose some on the way out, hence there won't be as many in the target. Even if each shot from the 20 has the same energy as a 12 of the same shot size, the fact that less shot will be on the target, less energy will be absorbed by the target. Energy kills.

I've killed 2 gobblers with one of my 20 gauge Ithacas, but they were close. The first one was around 10-12 yards, the second was a max of 20 yards. Both birds went down hard, you couldn't tell any difference from a 12.

I was shooting 3" copper plated #4 Federal Premiums through a modified choke (my older Ithacas don't have screw-in chokes). In my 12 gauges I shoot the same shell in # 6 shot.

Before I killed those two birds I had made up my mind that I wouldn't shoot unless I could get a bird inside 30 yards. I probably would shoot one at 30 now that I've seen how hard it put them down, but I'd be nervous about it.
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 03-30-2009 at 12:59 PM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Federal has a 3" 20 gauge load that advertises 1 3/16 oz of shot. With #5's, that's about 223 pellets.

They also have a 3" load with 1 1/2 ounces of shot - but it's not available with #5s. In #6 shot, that would give you 337 pellets.

Neither of these shells is particularly fast - I'd have to take that into consideration.

FYI ... pellets per ounce (plain lead pellets)

#4 - 135
    #5 = 170
    #6 = 225
    #7½ = 350
    #8 = 410
    #9 = 585

That's all good information and it sounds like they made the right decision. I am confident that the gun had never been patterned and the kid has never killed a turkey. I doubt his shooting skills are terribly perfected. I just the bird had come down the logging road- would have been 20 yards or under.
    Carolina Counsel

Back in the day my brother killed two in one shot by mistake, the gobbler was at about 20-25 and the jake went down at 52 if i remember correctly, but the golden BB got that one. one pellet behind the eye. Id say 30 is max for an inexperienced hunter.

Good call by the father, being an inexperienced hunter 25-30 yds max.

I patterned my 20ga gun at 40yds with a Kicks choke and #5 Winchester Extended Range, 180 pellets in a 10" circle.

I would take a 45-50 yd shot as long as I feel comfortable with it.
    The only man to ever get all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.