279 53.86%
  • Full

90 17.37%
  • X-Full

17 3.28%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Waterfowl Choke Tube Poll

Kicks High Flyer Mod

I shoot a factory modified but have thought about switching to an improved cylinder this season for a few hunts to see how it does.
    "Get 'er done, get 'er did, flip 'er over 'n' get 'er again"

"Bust the hell outta' some ducks":teal:

i didnt know there was anything other than the patternmaster.....best ive ever seen

in my 10 gauge i have a improved cylinder high flyer for ducks and a high flyer full for geese. dead right there everytime.

I just always shot my factory modified. I cant shoot so a tighter pattern would reveal my shots true identity

Quote Originally Posted by willmac1211 View Post
    if you shoot a full or extra full for ducks you probably are sky bustin.
    Will, you are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by b-stick View Post
    not necessarily..have you ever been to a rice field in arkie???
    If you shoot full choke or better, with steel or any of the other less maliable pellet materials, 1) you can't or won't read AND 2) you're a skybusting idiot. There are no special circumstances, no mitigating factors, no skill levels that would mandate that kind of stupidity. I give credit to the marketers for selling rediculously priced, overtightened specialty chokes to the "sportsmen" morons who call themselves duck hunters.

Steel shot is a push beyond 40 yards. It patterns better with an open choke and will kill consistantly inside of 40 yards. There is no use trying to argue about being a "better shot" with me. I know what a good shot is, and any knucklehead shooting a full choke in this forum ain't a good shot or even mildly intellegent.

And another thing, these chokes you guys talk about in here like "patternmasters" or whatever, they all have some sort of choke constriction. So, is it a patternmaster with an improved cylinder, modified, or full choke constriction? Do you even know?

Based on what I've read in here and seen in terms of pictures, I would say that a lot of you shooting these gimic chokes would kill more ducks if you took that crap out of your gun and put in an improved cylinder (or less) or even no choke at all. I can tell you that you'll kill more birds if you'll take responsible shots, but you will have to make the choice as to wether or not you want to kill more birds. One thing is for certain, you'll never know until you try.

Good post Fish and Willmac. If most of you need anything more than a modified, you are probably a skybuster and don't even know it. I guess it depends on what you call skybusting though, I call it shooting at a bird that you will not kill cleanly 75% of the time or better. For me, anything over 35yrds is too far as I like to shoot birds that are called in and not just passing by. Most of our shots are 10 to 15yrds. Just my preference though.
    Last edited by skrimp; 11-27-2009 at 04:40 PM.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

they make chokes other than factory modified
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

Ducks cupped up ontop of the decoys is what gets my heart rate going. Hell thats what strives me to keep going. If I want to just shoot a bird sky high ill stick to the dove field. besides what do you think decoys,calls,blinds ect.. are for anyways?
    Just my 2 cents.

Modified.....if you can't kill em' with that they are to far..........and wait for them to break the tree's locking up as nothing pisses me off more than watchin ducks workin circles finding their entrance and someone cuts loose on them on a pass instead of letting them work in......

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

tru that my friend

allways shot improved cylinder on birds and have never felt like anything else would have given me the chance to take more birds down..........by the way have any of you ever heard of steel damaging or had any expirience shooting steel and it damaging the barrel of an older gun? i had an old man tell me that steel shot is gona ruin the barrel of my belgin a-5
    Last edited by scduckhunter83; 11-27-2009 at 09:20 PM.

is it a choked barrel or is the choke removable.?

Pure gold mod. in my Browning Silver where long shots will be or factory impr. cyl. for those tight holes.
    CUT''EM ALL JACK

Safer as well. (your hand wont have to be in front of the barrel)

pure gold choke ic

I used to shoot a O/U with a first full and second Xtra full when we hunted the open duck ponds @ the farm.

Now I gotta hunt the public marshes and if ya hit them out that far, even the dog can't find em in the grass.

870 w/ a Mod. now because I don't have an IC, shoot em setting down or forget it.

i didnt see cylinder in the list so i didnt vote
    i bet you thought there would be something funny here.

that was a dirty trick mr admin
    i bet you thought there would be something funny here.