Thread: freezing catfish fillets

Default freezing catfish fillets

I freeze my fillets in water. How long have you kept fish and still ate them. I have some that are a few years old and wondered whether they will still be OK.
    He would have been nice next year.

Gallon zip locks with water...no air. Shake it out, then push enough water out to still coat the fish and still stack right without fear of bursting.

I dont typically let em sit for more than a year. If I dont eat em, someone is always stopping by, and they are usually quite pleased to take a pack of fish home with em.

Been thinking about getting one of those fancy air puller outer deals...aka vaccum sealers.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I just fried some that I found in the back of the freezer marked 2007. They tasted like frozen fish but they weren't as bad as I thought they would. I'm still trying to figure out how they found their way into the vegetable bin in the freezer.

Fish will keep the "fresh fish taste" for about 6 months, (frozen @ 0°). After 6 months, fish starts to taste like: frozen fish! Be sure and check for signs of freezer burn: no ice crystals, white spots or signs of thawed juices - packages should be clean & tightly sealed.

Thaw in the refrigerator or with cold running water on the package.

*Frozen trout will keep the "fresh fish taste" for about 3 months*
    “I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!” - Dr. Seuss

trout dont freeze for shit
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Trout are best eaten when the tails still have enough kick in them to splash some grease out of the pan...

I fried some cats last night from 8/07. They were good, but not like fresh.

I vacuum seal everyrthing as well.

I believe freezing in water is just as good, just takes up more freezer space.

Your fillets should still be plenty good.

I've got a vacuum sealer but usually just use ziplocks and water. The sealable bags are more expensive and if they get perforated in the freezer, stuff freezer burns. With ziplocks and water, a small perforation after they are frozen usually doesn't matter.

I fill them with fish and plenty of water, then hold them in a sink or big bowl full of water to get all the bubbles out. Once all the bubbles are out, you can hold the patially opened top underwater while lifing the rest of the bag out of the water and it will suck most of the water out while not letting any air back in.