Thread: Cooper River Bass

Default Cooper River Bass

Does anyone have any incite on bass fishing the Cooper that you wouldn't mind sharing. I'm fishing a small club tournament up there in February and I've never been. Dad and I plan on making a trip up there next week to scout it out-putting in at Cypress Gardens. I understand that it is a great fishery so I'm looking forward to learning something about it. Not looking for any particular spots as we plan to find them when we go. Just need something to get me started. On other tidal rivers that I've fished in winter, crankbaits around deep structure and heavy jigs around creek mouths have worked well. I wouldn't think the Cooper would be much different.

Fish against the current. Throw crank baits parallel to the shore. Both fisherman need to stand on the front of the boat. Fish will usually hold on the second weed line down about 6 ft. Throwing to the bank will not get it done. Jigs may also work around deep structure in the cuts.

Model 6A Bomber comes to mind.

there are some effin diesel fish in the cooper.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    some effin diesel fish in the cooper.
    I gotsta get me one of them

minners
    easy livin'

Fish the mouths of the rice fields where it drops off. We use a lot of plastic worms texas rigged and crankbaits with a slow retrieve. My dad has two 10+ lbers on the wall out of Cypress Gardens. One was caught 100 yards from the boat ramp.

Quote Originally Posted by Reel Commotion View Post
    My dad has two 10+ lbers on the wall out of Cypress Gardens.

So does my uncle.
    I had an ant farm once......them fellas didn't grow shit.

BigBallin is offline prognosticator of prognosticators

We will be tourney bowfishing at that time and if you remember to ask me again I can just tell you where the pigs sleep. I know the grass and weeds around North Mulberry usually hold the most/best fish and when they start fishing the Thursday workin mans tourney ,the right hand side of Duram Creek toward the split is loaded come Saturday with fish staging back to the river.
    You can grow up to be just like me....

What Club you fishing with?
    "As an American I am not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials." Newt Gingrich

Quote Originally Posted by lmblnr View Post
    What Club you fishing with?
    That tournament is with a club called Bite Me Bassmasters. A group of guys from Florence got together and put it on a couple of months ago. I was there but, no, I didn't vote for the name.

On the name-story is that one of the fellas mentioned to his ol' lady that he was going to meet with us to start a new bass club. He told her that we needed a name and asked if she had any suggestions. "Bite me" was her response. It probably got him in even more hot water but the guys thought it was just too good to pass up!