Thread: Cabinets

Default Cabinets

Has anyone ever built their own cabinets? I was thinkning of building some for our remodeling project but I have never built any. What do yall think?
    HRCH Lemon's Lady Chesney MH
    SHR Lemon's Pinch Of Long Cut aka Hagen
    "Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative." -Mordecai Siegal
    "If forced to choose between romantic love and my dog, I'd sure choose my dog." -Solange

Not kitchen cabinets, but I've built bookcases, a pantry, and an armoire.

You got a table saw? How 'bout a router table for the doors? Simple cabinets are a piece of cake.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

With the right tools they aren't too hard. The doors are the hardest part because of the designs. They make books and magazines with how-tos and different designs and such. I say if you are pretty handy then go for it.
    *2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion*

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    "The Gamecocks are hammered dog shit"

I am more willing to take on something like the pond cabin more than 500k house -
    That said - There is a company in Lugoff and 1 in Gaston that build doors to order -pretty reasonable -
    I got some from Rocky in Gaston and they were drilled with hidden hindges included.

My Father in Law built our kitchen cabinets, but he is a little better than your average carpenter (he does it for a living). Anyway, I assisted when I could. It's not terrribly hard, but it is certainly an art. Personally, I doubt I could ever get them just the way I wanted them so I would likely not try it on my own.

However, if you do decide to build them yourself I would just try and tackle the boxes, face frames and trim yourself. Have somebody that is set up to build cabinet doors build and prep them for hardware.

Roys Cabinet Shop in Lugoff, SC builds doors for just about every cabinet builder in SC.

I built some new ones when I remodeled my grandparents old kitchen. It's time consuming, but not hard.

I was thinking about just doing the boxes and buying the doors and drawers. I didn't think it would be too hard, just wondering if there were any "time saving" tips.
    "Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative." -Mordecai Siegal
    "If forced to choose between romantic love and my dog, I'd sure choose my dog." -Solange

Quote Originally Posted by birdboy View Post
    I was thinking about just doing the boxes and buying the doors and drawers. I didn't think it would be too hard, just wondering if there were any "time saving" tips.
    The two things that were "essential to the mission" were a nice set of Dado blades for building the boxes. And the second, A pocket hole jig for the face frames.

Good Luck....let us know how it works out.

I built all of the cabinets in our house a few years ago when we remodeled/added on.... It was a lot of fun and made me feel proud when I got them all in. They were a lot better quality than the ones we recieved bids from $8000 to $12000 on. Since then, I have built several pieces of furniture for our house. A new project is always a good excuse to get some new tools....
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

here are the ones i built in the kitchen
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

Cabinets are easy for the most part. Nice cabinets are a little more difficult. I would suggest building a few prototype boxes out of enexpensive material and see where you're at. If your prototypes turn out good put them in your garage. If you are going to paint them you can always get MDF doors pretty cheap.
    Your riding a gravy train with biscuit wheels.

DDD, those look real good. Did you make your own doors and drawers?