• Federal

54 19.93%
  • Kent

112 41.33%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Waterfowl Load

None of the above!

Quote Originally Posted by duckduckdog View Post
    3" Hevi-Shot #4..... Expensive enough to make to really think about your shot! :-)
    Amen, but if you hit what you're shooting it ain't going far before it's stone dead. Know dat. thus, no need for wasted shells on killshots.

I got some #4, 2 3/4" 'classic doubles' during the double rebate special Mack's ran a few weeks ago so I could shoot the ole 16 ga. this year. Love it!!
    Last edited by willyworm; 12-03-2008 at 09:44 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    I love the Kent 3" #3's and plan to keep shooting them. I have heard a few people say they blew up their barrels shooting Kent (and everyone who said this was shooting a Benelli). Anyone have any comment about this on the Kents?
    Just my experience, but I believe it's due to lack of waterproofing. We all know chasing ducks can get nasty. When these shells get wet, you better have a backup. I had a few new shells misfire and I haven't shot 'em since. I got enough decisions to make, I don't need to check the weather to determine which load I'll be shooting that morn. Hevi-shot or at least hevi-steel and be done with it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

i have a shot of a bunch of previously wet Kents and never had a problem but maybe I have just been lucky. My pockets arent quite deep enough to shoot the hevi-shot and my shooting is quite what I want it to be to justify it. Hopefully one day, both of those problems will be solved and I can move to it
    cut\'em

shot 2 3/4 estate #4's opening split with my old belgium browning, I'm afraid the strain was more than the duckbirds could bear.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Kent 2 3/4" #4

Winchester Supremes 3 1/2" BB or No 1 or 2's.

Tried Hevi Shot and not impressed and too expensive

What about Black Cloud, is it as good as reported or another gimic

3 1/2 black cloud, if you want to pay a buck a shell, Kent work really well also

Here's a great article from a few years ago... must have been expensive to do this study. It has made me rethink my shot loads...

http://www.deltawaterfowl.org/magazi...1_shooting.php

an expansive table of the data... few loads are trust worthy...
    http://www.deltawaterfowl.org/magazi...ooting_DB.html
    Last edited by Moatsy; 12-04-2008 at 08:44 AM.

Shells are shells. You can pay as much as you want for your shells (and the rest of you hunting crap for that matter), but if you don't point the gun at the right spot, none of it works.

The cheapest shells I can find are the shells I buy and usually this means Winchester 3" Hi-Velocity # 2s, 3s & 4s, depending on what is available. I like the smaller pellets if I can get em.

Looking at the table posted by Trapper, it would appear that the data supports loads with smaller pellets.
    Last edited by Fish; 12-04-2008 at 11:01 AM.

I'm with you Fish. I shoot the hv experts and as long as you hit your target they kill ducks just as dead as any shell on the market. There aren't degrees of deadness. The duck is either shot and killed or missed.
    Your riding a gravy train with biscuit wheels.

kent 3in #2s

Kent 2 3/4" #2's have worked for me out of a factory modified choke. 3" any brand is overrated.
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

Kent 3" 1 3/8 #2's

always shot dryloks, used some estates two years ago(they had gotten wet) and belive some of you saw what happen to the barrell of the gun i was shooting, so will not use them again. like the hv's, but bought bought two boxes of the black clouds off here, and i can tell you they can put a hurt on some birds. alittle two much on summer ducks but geese oh man, the holes look like little footballs, and the greens they did there job on them as well.

Kent sucks if they get wet
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

wincheter suprmeme!!!!!!!! enough said

I shot kent 3" #3's for several seasons till i ran out and bought some Winchester Expert 3" #3's. Kills em just as dead for about half the price. Long passing shots on OBX scotters and broadbills to fat late season Nebraska Greenheads, it killed the shit outta all of them when I did my part. Your either hitting them or you aint.

One big reason I like #2 shot anymore is that, if a goose comes in, I'm still legal in SC. #3 is too small to legally shoot geese with.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    One big reason I like #2 shot anymore is that, if a goose comes in, I'm still legal in SC. #3 is too small to legally shoot geese with.
    Was waiting for someone to finally say this. Looks like many people don't read the regs very well.

First season with Kents. So far so good. One guy shooting a Mosseburg had them not want to eject but after looking at his gun, I can see why. Looked like a boat paddle. Everyone I hunted with was using Kents. Shooting 3" #2's due to passing geese but in the river I prefer #4's.