Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Free locked hub.

Default Free locked hub.

I pulled my boat out of storage today and pulled her to car wash to rinse her off. On the way there , one tire started squeaking like hell, pulled her over , tryed to see what was going on. Wasnt to far from home and the tire locked up and smoked and blew lol. hahah smoke all over the place. I got her home on a atv trailer and the tire in now off, the whole hub is locked up and wheel is locked up. Solution? it got new bearings last year.
    "Pass it on in the name of Conservation"-Tracy Byrd

dude you gotta grease the bearings....they dont work without grease.....ive got bearing buddies on our boats they work great! theve got a little grese nozzle right on emm. makes things alot easier than taking the caps off and manualy greasing the bearings

Do you drink when you do this stuff?
    Last edited by DuckCommandress; 11-12-2008 at 08:11 PM.
    Don't believe everything you think.

You need to make sure you wash the trailer regularly when you take it out in the salt water. Especially the bearings will get eaten to hell and back by the salt. That and grease them regular.

SCTIMBER Coots

Bear's advice is spot-on. saltwater is highly corrosive to just about anything mechanical if you don't wash it and/or apply grease

Pro Tip
    If you plan on pulling a trailer:
    Never leave home without a Spare Tire and hub assembly. A pair of needle nose pliars, a hammer, tube of marine grease, lug wrench, and jack.

Pro Tip #2: Every so often break the lug nuts loose and re-tighten...will ensure you can get them off when you need to.

If you're gonna yank a trailer around be prepared for what comes with doing so.

and grease your damn hubs idiot.
    xHCFKx

I'd like to thank my dad for coming, and my mom for being there...

good pro tips stretch! now gimmi some pro tips on catchin them spottails!

Quote Originally Posted by DuckCommandress View Post
    Do you drink when you do this stuff?

Ron White said it best "You can't fix Stoopid."

So this is not a bashing comment follow Bear's advice. If you ran the boat in salt water and didnt rinse it off, I can only assume you didnt run fresh water through the motor either. If that is the case good luck having a motor that will make it past March.
    Last edited by Chuck the Duck Slayer; 11-12-2008 at 08:29 PM.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

bwhahaha chuck

I cant wait for the play by play of what went wrong when he catches his first piece of ass.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

you couldve gotten them to tight or left them to loose when the bearings were put in, or no grease. if you didnt mess the hub up to much and can just replace the bearings again make sure you replace the races (sp) also, alot of people dont , they just slap some new bearings in and ride. either way you choose to fix it the easiest way to set up a trailer hub is to tightened the hub all the way down to were the wheel wont spin then slowly start backing the nut off while turning the tire, as soon as the nut is backed off enuogh for the tire to turn freely STOP and put your cotter pin in the holes. now granted not everyone on here may agree and the bigger the hub your dealing with your going to start having torque specs but for a small boat trailer this procedure has always worked for me.

and by the way, to stop from having to check grease all the time go ahead and spend a little extra and get you some marine grade grease, this holds up alot longer than regular grease with the boat trailer being under water.

and one more thing, when you remove the old hub make sure to check the spindle out good to make sure the hub didnt cut any grooves or mess the spindle up any or you could have problems again in the future. the biggest problem that ive seen is the hub goes bad and starts shaking and the spindle gets grooved were the inner seal sits and if you just install another hub or just new bearings the new seal wont seal right and the first time you back into the water your hub gets water in it and you will wind up being right back were you are now.

hope this helps a little, i was bored and felt like talking
    1542 wareagle w/ 25 johnson
    1436 wareagle w/ 23 gdlt
    14' bugbuster w/ built 40 hammer
    1648 gdsd w/ 27 gdsd
    1650 polarcraft w/ built 40 hammer
    1848 gdsd w/ 35 gdsd
    1503 super-v w/ built 40 hammer
    1650 Joe Hancock special w/ ????

They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst!

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I cant wait for the play by play of what went wrong when he catches his first piece of ass.

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

daVE.........

Bud I can help you on catching fish.

Pro Tip#1 Cant catch them sitting at home on ScDucks.com

Pro Tip#2 You just finished building a boat take it and some spinning gear from BPS and find some creeks to fish.

Pro Tip#3 Stretch gives plenty of advice if you pay attention and understand what he posts. Just because you read his posts and see nice pictures is one thing. To read his threads, see his pictures and understand what he posts is another.

Sorry Stretch hope I didnt give him too many of your secrets.
    Last edited by Chuck the Duck Slayer; 11-12-2008 at 08:35 PM.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

we took the boat out the other day to murrels inlet caught some big ole black drum, never caught emm before pretty fun though. but ive had my eye out for spottails.. i just dont know how to fish them... and i dont throw a fly... so yeah..

haha damn son, yu don fuked it up....

Someone pm a phone number for help.

Damn man... How far did you drag that thing with it locked up?

about 100 yards lol , in was in my neighborhood, had to get off the road.

hold on a second chief. I will help you out with this and make it easy for you. In the mean time get a BFH.