Thread: "1x" optical sights for AR-15

Default "1x" optical sights for AR-15

Those that use 'em, what's your poison?

I recently picked up a Smith & Wesson MP-15T and am trying to make the decision as to what "tactical" optics to put on it.

Right now, I'm leaning to either the Aimpoint Comp M-4s or the EOTech 556/557.

Want something RUGGED, with a clear reticle (illuminated, obviously), a dot no bigger than 2 MOA, and a big field of view. Also want it to use AA batteries for convenience.

The ability to add a removable 3x or 4x adaptor is appealing.

NOT looking at Trijicon ACOG's - too much tariff and too much magnification.
    Last edited by Swamp Rat; 08-21-2008 at 08:43 PM.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

We took the eotechs off of our ARs at work and went with the aimpoints they seem to have a quicker target acquisition than the eo I guess it would be a personal opinion to everyone though. I love the aimpoint myself.

I've been hearing more negatives for sure about the EOTech... I was just hoping they had improved their product.

Biggest negatives I hear are battery life issues, and fuzzy reticles (esp. in NV mode, which is a non-issue for me unless I buy some cheap NVGs - which I don't see happening)

They are a little more fuzzy than the ap for sure atleast the ones we had i am not sure about the other issues, it seems to me you can get a smaller dot for better accuracy with the ap also.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Not to change the subject but how do you like the Smith?

How does it compare to other AR platforms you've shot?
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet... I am really in pre-election collection mode.

It seems very well made. The only "issue" I found was that there is a LITTLE gap between the upper and lower - not enough to make a difference. There is some gun-to-gun variation on this in most brands anyway. Other Smiths I looked at were tight as a tick. I'm not trying to shoot prairie dogs at 400 yards with it, anyway.

Smith AR's have gone through some evolutions. They are on what I consider their 3rd series. The first ones were built for Smith by Stag Arms (and were dang good)... then Smith got into making them all themselves. These were also apparently fine guns, except that some folks were experiencing issues with Magpul P-Mags fitting/locking into the mag well. Now, given that the P-Mag is a popular and well made magazine, this caused some consternation and many guns were returned to S&W for repair (which S&W apparently did).

The newer guns have that issue worked out.

When I went to get mine, I went to a local dealer I use a lot first. He had one, and it was tight upper-to-lower fit. Then I looked at the serial number and that range gave me pause when I thought about the P-Mag issue. That dealer also sells P-Mags, so I got one and tried it.... no go. Wouldn't latch in. I took another S&W he had that was in a higher serial number range and the mag fit like a champ. But that wasn't the model I wanted.

So, I bought the P-Mag and took it to another dealer that also had a "T" model Smith in stock. I walked in with the mag, checked the gun, checked the serial number range, smiled, tried the mag... it latched fine. So I bought the gun.

Everyone I have spoken to that has S&W AR's loves em. Have heard good things about Stag Arms and Bushmaster as well.

Swamp, I've used both the AP and EOT extensively and I currently only own an AP.

I haven't had any issues with the EOT, I actually prefer the lithium battery series over the AA, mostly due to battery life and I like the smaller unit.

If I had the cash for one or the other, I'd go AP. just my .02.

I do think that my shooting environment would have some bearing on which I'd prefer though. For CQB room to room stuff only, I'd take the EOT but if I was doing a little of it all, outdoor, medium and long range shoots and some CQB then I'd take the AP.

S&W's are good AR's, my brother in law picked one up at a pretty good deal awhile back, I've shot it a few times. Seems to be a pretty good weapon.
    [COLOR=darkgreen][B]"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke [/B][/COLOR]
    [B][COLOR=#006400][/COLOR][/B]
    [B][COLOR=#006400]"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" George Orwell[/COLOR][/B]

Hmm, I wonder which I would choose?

FWIW, I don't care for the EOtechs. The little aperature is overkill if you ask me. While the "sprocket" around the dot may be useful for clearing houses and actually shooting people on a regular basis, I find it obtrusive at the range.

As far as "AA's for convenience" go -- how much more convienient is 10's of thousands of hours on a single battery? Add on the extra battery module on the Aimpoint, and you're damned near set for a couple years. Batteries aren't hard to come by and I buy about 5 at a time when I order online. The only way I really ever have them die is when I leave a scope on in the safe for months on end.

I wonder if your an AimPoint Fan?

They are great sights, wish I could find a good deal on a newer model.

Since you're "falling out of Love" looks like you'd let one of them babies go at a deal.
    [COLOR=darkgreen][B]"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke [/B][/COLOR]
    [B][COLOR=#006400][/COLOR][/B]
    [B][COLOR=#006400]"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" George Orwell[/COLOR][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaDucks View Post
    I wonder if your an AimPoint Fan?

They are great sights, wish I could find a good deal on a newer model.

Since you're "falling out of Love" looks like you'd let one of them babies go at a deal.
    Actually, I'm gonna post the one 2nd from the left up for sale on about 15 boards this weekend. Here's the specs in case anyone is interested:

> Bushmaster lower
    > LMT M4 upper
    > Vltor Clubfoot w/ mil-spec tube/buffer/spring
    > Tango Down vertical foregrip
    > Surefire w/ ARMS mount and pressure switch
    > Knights Armament RAS
    > ARMS #40 BUIS (back up iron sight)
    > GG&G side sling attachment w/ QD sling point
    > Phantom flash hider
    > ARMS #22M68 Aimpoint mount w/ cantilever spacer
    > Aimpoint scope (have to check model)

I probably can't swing it, but I am intrigued by the Surefire light by itself....

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    I probably can't swing it, but I am intrigued by the Surefire light by itself....
    I've got over $2,300 in the rifle. Price will be $1,800. IIRC, the Surefire is a little over $400, but it's been a while since I priced it.
    Last edited by USMCsilver; 08-22-2008 at 09:17 PM.

Swamp, I forgot to add some input --

Trijicon Reflex II. Awesome sight, no batteries. Get one on the ARMS mount, and it's freakin' sweet. I owned one, and wish I never had gotten rid of it.

You mention adding a magnifier. The Aimpoint has a sweet one, but the cost is high and the mount cost is high, too.

Check out the Reflex II. If you want to try one, I have a buddy who still has his (I think) and I could get a demo for you.

Get an Eotech, for the money they are tough to beat.