Thread: I'm Curious

Default I'm Curious

The FLW tournament at the lake (Murray) made me think of this.

What do you think the survival rate is for the fish caught and released in this week/weekends tournament is?

I'm more curious what kind of affect a half hour truck ride in a boat to the colonial center has on the fish. What happens after the fish are weighed? Are they taken back to the lake, released on the Congaree or fried? I'd imagine that's pretty tough on a fish and the survival rate is real low.

I'm not a catch and release nut job, but if there is a good chance that sucker is gonna die why not just drop into some hot grease instead of the hot ass lake?

With the title of this thread, there are so may ways it could have gone...

Glad you were talking about fishing
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.

Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...

Quote Originally Posted by justpracticin View Post
    With the title of this thread, there are so may ways it could have gone...

Glad you were talking about fishing
    My thoughts exactly.

I figured the next few lines woulda been.

"Would it be gay if I put peanut butter on my nuts and let a goat lick it off"
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

to which my answered would have been,

"no... that is experimentation. WATCHING someone do that is gay."

FAY!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    to which my answered would have been,

"no... that is experimentation. WATCHING someone do that is gay."
    Just being able to think it up is gay!

Chessbay is not gay, he has a wonderful wife that would not let that happen.
    Now the boy went to Clempson and has a thing for small livestock, so keep yer goats and sheep in a high fence and be on the look out for CB in knee boots and a grin when the moon is right and he has done gone and gotten himself goat drunk

Oh yeah I think it will kill the hell out of the fish so they had better keep a big ol' kettle of grease hot at the Colonial Center.

You fuckers really know how to derail a thread.

Thanks MG.........i think....

Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    You fuckers really know how to derail a thread.
    The damned thing never had a chance to begin with. I saw the title and was half scared to check it out.

Does that picture need to resurface?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

well I found this on some site with no idea of the likelyhood of accuracy... I do know that the striper tourneys brag about > 95% survival...

Bass fishing tournaments all practice catch and release. The intent is to allow the survival of the bass so they may reproduce and be caught again.

What is not clearly understood is that not all the released fish survive. The survival rate depends on how the fish are handled prior to release and water temperatures.

High water temperatures seem to be the single most important factor in determining the survival rate of bass after they are released. Water temperatures above 80 degrees increase the mortality rate of released fish by a factor of six.

Tournaments held during the winter, spring and fall are least harmful to the fish and 94% of bass released when the water temperature is below 65 degrees survive. An average tournament catching and releasing 1000 bass will see 940 fish survive.

Bass FishingBass fishing tournaments held during the summer months or when the water temperature is 80 degrees or hotter survive at a rate of 61%. An average bass fishing tournament catching and releasing 1000 bass will see only 610 bass survive. A VERY dramatic difference.

Other factors affect the survival rate such as the playing time of the fish. The more you play the fish the more stressed the fish becomes.

Proper aeration of livewells and tournament weigh-in procedures also contribute to and increase in survival rate.

The two links on the top left of this page will provide more detailed information on fish care in the boat and at the weigh-in.

Oklahoma Department of Wildlife ConservationThanks to Gene Gilliland, Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation Fisheries Biologist, for his very informative study and resulting recommendations provided here.

Default Fish are safe

These guys go out of their way to try and keep the fish from dying. They add extra oxygen into their live wells. The also have additives in the water to calm the fish down. They have a release boat to take the fish back to the lake and let them go. They usually have a low dead fish count. These guys are the real deal not Bubba with a cooler for a live well.

I have a close friend who is fishing the pro side and they go to extreme lengths to keep the fish alive. As big as this tournament is the PETA bastards would eat them up if they had a big fish kill. But no matter what it is hard on a fish to travel in the heat.

I have it on good authority that they lost only 15 fish today. This is from 150 +/- anglers weighing in a limit.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Chessbay sizes up the freshamn class his junior year at Clemtech

Chessbay with his date at the Clemtech Fall Formal