Thread: Ammo for .270 and 7mm-08

Default FUsion? Ammo for .270 and 7mm-08 what do you use?

What kind of amo to use for 7mm-08 Browning and .270 Weatherby?
    I think i've been shooting 150 grain with the .270 but don't know about the 7-08. Anyone have any particular brands/types/weights for medium range deer hunting....don't usually take shots over 150-200. most probably right at 100 yards....
    Last edited by HDLABS; 07-31-2008 at 08:04 PM.

130 grain is plenty for the 270 if you are shooting SC deer.

For the 7mm-08, 139/140 grain loads work fine.... 120 grain loads with the right bullet would work well, too.

Although I like to handload, my state of disarray this year may force me to start with factory ammo - I like Federal Premium loads with Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets, or Winchester Supreme with the Ballistic SilverTips.
    Last edited by Swamp Rat; 07-30-2008 at 09:38 PM.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I've used the 140 gr. Winchester Supreme Ballistic SilverTips and have been very pleased with them... 150# doe, quartered shot from left front, down through the left side of the neck into chest, exiting just the core of the bullet right behind the right shoulder. She dropped dead in her tracks at 85 yds and never felt a thing.

That's the kind of "humane" kill that some around here don't understand the meaning and value of.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 07-31-2008 at 09:48 AM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I shoot the Hornaday light magnum 139 grain SST out of my 7mm08. Guess that would be their version of a ballistic tip. Last year, I shot a doe and a cowhorn, both about 70 yards away. right above the shoulder blade. They both fell over dead. No movement what so ever. I shot a 8 pt 2 years ago with the winchester ballistic silvertips. He was only about 25 yards away. Quartering away slightly, bullet behind left shoulder, exit in front of right shoulder. He ran like he wasn't hit. Heard a thud in the woods, and went to investigate. He ran head first into a tree. The bullet zipped right thru him. Don't think it had time to expand. I think those were 140 grain. Try a few different 1's to see what your rifle shoots best. Personally, I like the Hornadays.
    every expert was once a beginner

Anyone tried the Federal Accubond (white plastic tip)? That is what guy told me to get, said his dad shot same rifle with those and was killing hogs with no problem whatsoever...

HD,
    Are you talking about a .270 weatherby magnum cartridge or a .270 Winchester cartridge shot out of a Weatherby rifle?

Just curious...

Anyway, I shoot the .270 Winchester and hunted with 130 gr Winchester power points for years. They do their job well. However, I switched to the 130 gr Winchester silver tips because the tips hold up much better to abuse such as being loaded and unloaded x amount of times.
    Last edited by Drylok; 07-31-2008 at 04:22 PM.

It is a .270 Weatherby Vanguard rifle.

I believe you do shoot the .270 Winchester then, unless you shoot the Winchester short mag.

I hope you enjoy your vanguard. I have loved mine for over twenty years.

Just checked the weatherby site. No .270 Weatherby mag for the vanguard.
    Last edited by Drylok; 07-31-2008 at 04:31 PM.

Check out Hornady.com. I am a loyal customer.

Check the lings below....I used Fusion 150 grain last year...did me right.
    Think I may check out Fusion 140 Grain for 7mm-08.
    Also there is a rebate link if anyone else wants to try it...look at .270 and 708 comparison...almost identical to 300 yards.....

http://www.chuckhawks.com/federal_fusion_ammo.htm
    http://www.fusionammo.com/pdf/FU61_FusionRebate.pdf
    http://www.fusionammo.com/ballistics/rifle_compare.aspx

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

My .270 loves Federal Premium 130 grain SBTs.

They have never failed me yet.

Alot of folks like the .270 in 130 gr. Flat, fast, and fairly close shot blows the up upon impact. Not trying to start anything here, just what I have had happen over the years. I have not shoot any higher end bullets either, may be they stay together better?

Most of my shots are around 60 to 150 yards. I have moved to the 150 gr to get my velocity below 2900 fps(best guess) and bullet that retains more weight upon impact. My rifle shoots the 150 gr better than the 130 gr, so alittle slower and not much different in flight path, better groups, and alittle bit more energy. 150 gr is my setup.

Gun: Ruger M77, with tang saftey and 3lb trigger, floated barrel and bedded action.
    Last edited by Civil-Cock; 08-04-2008 at 10:02 PM.

I shot the 150 gr fusion some last year and had good accuracy and killed some deer. Before I was shooting 130 grain and on some closer shots the deer ran off and I know I made good shots....no blood trail though.....

Another vote for Hornady. I shoot the Light Mag with the Interbond bullet in my .270 cause I like an exit wound.

Hornady is that stuff man! I shoot Hornady Custom 140 grain BTSP(boat tail) InterLocks. Real flat flying bullet and drops them everytime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Lazy is not a virtue of a duck hunter.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

You are unlikely to find your best accuracy by shooting factory ammo. There are a number of reason for this. However you may very well find factory ammo that is easily "good enough", but you will need to experiment. If I were limited to factory ammo (which hasn't been the case since about 1975), I would NOT buy my ammo until I was ready to go to the range. I would search the store to make sure I was choosing various loads that had plenty of boxes in stock from the same lot. THIS IS IMPORTANT. Don't take it lightly. When you find a load that shoots well, buy a bunch of boxes from the same lot. When you are sighting in, remember.......one good group does not constitute Nirvana. However, 2 or 3 good groups usually means you found a good combo. When you change to a different load it is not unusual for the first round to be a flyer due to a different fouling "signature" . DON'T shoot your gun hot. Let it cool down 15-30 minutes between groups. If you don't, your results may not be indicative of what you would see in the woods........when the gun is cold/cool.

When sighting-in use a good solid but soft rest. This is to eliminate shooter error as much as possible without adding bounce. I would not recommend a vice due to bedding pressure points. A very light grip may be OK though.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

For the 7-08 ammo, 140 grain federal premium nosler ballistic tips have worked the best for me. Out of two different 7-08 rifles, they have been/are the most consistent. For whatever reason, neither rifle did well with the Hornady 139 grain bullets.

Try the Hornady 139gr sst light mag i've not had a deer move out of its tracks yet & they will stay under an 1.5" at 200 yds if i do my part from an A-bolt .

winchester ballistic silvertips. Ive shot and killed deer with both calibers. through and through all of em and dropped each one in its tracks.