Thread: Chufa for Ducks

Default Chufa for Ducks

Have you guys ever had much luck planting chufas for ducks? We've got several members that swear by it, but I've never tried it.

Guess I've had too much success with "yeller yelper" aka RoundUp Ready Corn....

I've got access to discounted chufa (so do all the other NWTF members in SC) and I'd like to give it a try next year. I can actually control the water in and out of my duck ponds.....flood irrigation....
    Originally Posted by Rubberhead*
    I'm sure our loving God gave dogs short lifespans so we can get a glimpse of the joy and sorrow that our own lives bring to Him.

HRCH Riptide's Hydrophilic Hammertime (HYDRO)

I have heard that they will wear it out, but never planted it for ducks(been able to flood it). I know the turkeys will!

Ive got a buddy that has several large impoundments at mattamuskeet & he plants ALOT of chufa & does real well with it.
    If it aint got 8 toes & a green head,it aint a duck.

Chufa is good for ducks. Use a shallow flood for ducks. My father planted it years ago at his place on Waccamaw River and the mallards and blacks would root out the tubers like hogs.

That was back in the 50s and 60s when we actually got some black ducks in the winter.
    That the Tiger's roar may echo.....

I'm wondering if wood ducks would eat it.

We only get about a dozen mallards flying by all year in this neck of the woods.
    Originally Posted by Rubberhead*
    I'm sure our loving God gave dogs short lifespans so we can get a glimpse of the joy and sorrow that our own lives bring to Him.

HRCH Riptide's Hydrophilic Hammertime (HYDRO)

Yes, wood ducks will eat chufa once they find it. However, my recollection is that they were more wary of the open field than big ducks. Chufa doesn't provide any "structure."

This is based on 45-year old memories. Maybe somebody else can help with more recent experiences involving chufa and wood ducks.
    That the Tiger's roar may echo.....