Thread: Plant'n Chufas

Default Plant'n Chufas

Well, it finally looks like we're likely to get more than a sprinkle here in the CSRA. I guess I'll break down and plant some chufa this week. I've got a bag of Turkey Gold in my office that's just gonna get eaten by the weevils if I don't put it in the ground......

Anyone else having any luck with chufas this year?

They usually do pretty well in droughty conditions, but they need a fair amount of rain to sprout.

We used to have a heck of time keeping the turkeys out of them before they germinated, but we've got so few birds right now it's not an issue. The squirrels and coons work them over pretty good, but luckily we don't have any hogs, yet....
    Originally Posted by Rubberhead*
    I'm sure our loving God gave dogs short lifespans so we can get a glimpse of the joy and sorrow that our own lives bring to Him.

HRCH Riptide's Hydrophilic Hammertime (HYDRO)

You shoud be fine............thanks for reminding me I've got a few bags I need to get out before they go to waste......see if I can get out this weekend and do a little plantin.............

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Quote Originally Posted by ECOPREDATOR View Post
    Well, it finally looks like we're likely to get more than a sprinkle here in the CSRA. I guess I'll break down and plant some chufa this week. I've got a bag of Turkey Gold in my office that's just gonna get eaten by the weevils if I don't put it in the ground......

Anyone else having any luck with chufas this year?

They usually do pretty well in droughty conditions, but they need a fair amount of rain to sprout.

We used to have a heck of time keeping the turkeys out of them before they germinated, but we've got so few birds right now it's not an issue. The squirrels and coons work them over pretty good, but luckily we don't have any hogs, yet....

We planted a couple acres of chufa at my buddies place this year, and last year. It made great last year, but isnt looking so good this year. Probably going to replant.
    Bay Creek Kennels- Hartsville, SC
    Owner/Trainer- Rhett Riddle
    Retriever & Obedience Training
    Cell-803-608-2252

Home of:
    HRCH Ace's Costa Del Mar MH. "Costa" 500 Point Club
    GRHRCH Costa's Signature Blend MH "Crown" 500 Point Club
    3x GRHRCH Crown of Ace's in Costa's Shadow MH QAA “Craig”

lightly disc it and wait a week. you might be surprised.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

2th is right there. Chufa will lay dormant for a long time and I bet a lot of it didn't germinate the first time around.

If you don't have too many turkeys and squirrels eating it, this rain (we hope) may sprout it.

I know a bunch of folks up here who planted in May and they have either given up or are replanting now. It's so dry up here that the weeds won't even grow!!!
    Originally Posted by Rubberhead*
    I'm sure our loving God gave dogs short lifespans so we can get a glimpse of the joy and sorrow that our own lives bring to Him.

HRCH Riptide's Hydrophilic Hammertime (HYDRO)