Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Unveiled Beach Company presents early Cantey Bay plans

They took over Lake Lure back over 30 ago and are doing the same thing on Upper Murray. Time to move again but. JABIII gets it.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Really? Wealthy yankees are still retiring in droves. They can still live down here for a fraction of what it costs to live in CT, NJ, NY, or even FL. The Beach Company is more than willing to trade our natural resources for yankee dollars.

As for development being braked...

http://www.wyff4.com/news/local-news...r/-/index.html
    This fella gets it. The Beach Company does not care about the destruction of this state's natural resources if it stands to make money. That is not to imply I am against making money, because I love making money I just have a deeper respect for this beautiful state.

Also, those guys are SCWA supporters, nuff said.
    cut\'em

I guess you can say that about any developer. Also, you can say that without the need for more power (due to development), the lakes would not exist. So, who is right or wrong?

Building a large reservoir and lining a national wildlife refuge with condos aren't exactly the same thing FHF.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

FHF you are right without the need for more power (due to development) the lakes would not exist, however as stewards of the land we must promote responsible growth. Do you want another Mt. Pleasant that is spread all over or would you prefer to see greater density in a smaller area leaving more rural country undeveloped? I think it is clear what Bog and I favor.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by FHF View Post
    I guess you can say that about any developer. Also, you can say that without the need for more power (due to development), the lakes would not exist. So, who is right or wrong?
    The lakes don't exist for power, the lakes exist for a growing revenue stream for local politicians. I know this is the case with Lake Murray as it only makes hydro power a few days per year, the rest of the power generation comes from coal. That was stated on WVOC last year by an SCE&G rep.

The Santee lakes exist not because we needed MORE power to sustain growth, they existed to provide the FIRST power to many rural homes across South Carolina. Much like the Arkabutla Dam in the movie Oh Brother Where Art Thou in Mississippi and all across the country at the time.

JAB got it right. Ya'll boyz weren't even good sperm back then.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

The stated purpose orignally to build the Santee-Cooper Lake System was to provide a safe inland navigation from the sea to the midlands for defense and commerce purposes. The canal system could not handle it and the Santee river was flood dependant and did not connect the all inportant seaport of Charleston. If it were just for hydro, then what was then the largest single lift lock in the world woudl have been unneccesary since it lifts a man made river. Like most WPA projects it was as much about jobs than anything else including power or navigation. Now with power companies around the state closing coal facilities as fast as they can, it will be ever more political as time moves forward. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

I think just less than 2% of Santee Cooper's power is made by those hydroelectric turbines. Nuclear and coal based power are much cheaper to produce. I'm no history buff, but back in the 40's the lakes WERE made with develoment in mind. But it was development to jump start the economy after the effects of WWII, not for yankees fleeing the north to retire.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

When I say development I mean the production of guns and ammo, among others things which were all part of Franklin's D's New Deal response to the Great Depression.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft