Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ,

While you are correct, small bands can be attached by threading a loop of decoy cord through your lanyard.
    I have done this with teal bands, because the lanyard is too thick.......hauss.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Squatty, do you know if they color coordinate due to species/sex?

Seems sooner or later they'd run outta colors.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

They have 12 different colors that they list on the pbot site. It is my understanding that when they capture these birds and band them they will use a series of the color bands in addition to the regular silver metal band which is the same type band they use on waterfowl just a lot smaller!

I would think that they would only put no more than 2 bands on each leg. Anything more than that I would think that the poor birds couldn't fly tote'n around all that hardware . So any combination of the 12 colors with no more than 3 color bands used and then one silver band.......... I forgot how to do that math.........

I do know that they captured and banded 1500 of them I believe last year and they folks over at the pbot site are asking that anyone/everyone report sightings. Hope that helps
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Cool pics never knew anyone delt with such small birds enought to band them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Lazy is not a virtue of a duck hunter.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

The purpose of the money band on non game species is to get dentist that shoot them to turn in the data for prosecution
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Great capture! I spent one morning last week looking for a PB in an area that had 3 pairs last year but I came up empty. I did get to see some towhees and a couple fox squirrels though. Get any good shots of the male this morning?

How bout Indigo Buntings? Do y'all see many of those? Plenty of folks think they are blue birds.

Scarlett & Summer Tanagers are also a rare site around here.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

See a good few Tanagers and Indigo buntings in the swamp as well as along the riverbank Rp.
    They are all beautiful birds.

We are covered up with Indigo's at the farm right now. It seems to be primo nesting country for them. There is a nesting pair of bluebirds in the yard for the first time in years as well. I am hoping to get some good PB shots for my collection so I have ignored the Indigo's although they are as striking as any bird IMHO. I found some guys from Illinois walking through some brush last year looking for some sparrow or other that I had never heard of. They said it was rare but we had the perfect nesting cover. Damn poachers.

The male eluded me this morning. I only saw him buzz by once. Guess I'll have to go back in the morning.......darn it!

Poor poor pitiful YOU! Seen any ground doves down there??

yea there's several around the feeder where I shot the PB
    Last edited by GobblerHntr; 06-17-2008 at 09:51 PM.

All I have around my feeder is house finches, chickadees, and cardinals.

The cat bird stays in the holly trees, and the bluebird is just hanging around on my roof.

Seeing the painted bunting reminds me of time spent watching them at our house on Pawleys back in the 70s... we had an old trash can lid flipped upside down and hung off the back porch with wire for a feeder.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen