Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sunflowers- backing up and punting

you can attach a screen door spring to keep them from charging through it. But like P Biz said the most important part is getting the fence up before the sunflowers come up. DOn't give the deer that first taste. This is the 8th year we have planted the same field and have never lost a field or even had it damaged by the deer.
    Doin' what I do best! STRAIGHT KILLIN'

2010 SCDucks Deer Champion
    2010 SCDucks Turkey Champion
    2007,2008,2009, 2010 NBK Deer Killin' Champion

What kind of exclosure are you using, SSF?

When we put our fences up, we put a mixture of peanut butter and vegetable oil on the wire. The deer seem to find the fence with their noses or tongues and are much slower to return!!!!!

i agree
    Plant it they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwamp Fox View Post
    This is the 8th year we have planted the same field and have never lost a field or even had it damaged by the deer.
    Probably has something to do with our flat out obsession of killing all whitetail deer and our Fahja, whose field acreage is measured down to the foot. He has been an electrical engineer for 34 some odd years for the federal govt. To say the least, he is anal about his fields.
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Peanut Butter is like Kryptonite for a whitetail. That's an idea that hadn't occurred to me.

just a two wire system on a DC Charger. But we charge the batteries every week and inspect each fence everyday! if we see where something is beating the fence we will go iside with another fence or higher or both. Again Most important to get the fence up before the plants break the ground. Don't give that first sweet taste.
    Doin' what I do best! STRAIGHT KILLIN'

2010 SCDucks Deer Champion
    2010 SCDucks Turkey Champion
    2007,2008,2009, 2010 NBK Deer Killin' Champion

Default Lookin good

Looks and sounds like you did it just right. I've planted sunflowers that same way for several years and the trifluralin will keep the weeds at bay long enough for the sunflowers to start shading out the ground.

I've got a source for Clearfield if you ever want some. If fertilizer keeps going up, Clearfield sunflowers will cost $300 an acre to plant and spray!!!!
    Originally Posted by Rubberhead*
    I'm sure our loving God gave dogs short lifespans so we can get a glimpse of the joy and sorrow that our own lives bring to Him.

HRCH Riptide's Hydrophilic Hammertime (HYDRO)

clearfield may be better on a large budget, but hard to beat what you just suggested eco.
    its doves, not a master gardener competition.

Yeah, after the realization of how much cheaper it is to plant the regular sunflowers, as compared to the past few years of Clearfield, I will be going back to planting Black Oil or Peredoviks from now on. Much cheaper, even with the Lightning on hand!

You mentioned buckwheat??? Hell yes it is one of my favorites. Can't say enough good things about it.

peredovik has a smaller seed, id always plant that.
    if black oils look like the ones that come in a bag with a cardinal on it from walmart.