Thread: Arkansas Survey

Default Arkansas Survey

ARKANSAS SPORTSMAN : Waterfowl survey reveals surprising information
    BRYAN HENDRICKS

Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008

Some interesting tidbits came from the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission’s 2008 Duck Hunters Survey.

Conducted in February and March by the Survey Research Center at UALR, the survey elicited opinions from resident and nonresident duck hunters about duck hunting on public and private land. The survey compiled 963 individual duck hunter interviews. About half were from Arkansas residents.

Of the public-land hunters, about 50 percent have hunted more than 10 years, and nearly half hunted 10 or more days last season. Most were satisfied with the number of days they hunted, the number of shots they took, the number of ducks they saw and the number of ducks they killed.

Now, how about this ? Half of the private-land hunters have hunted fewer than five years, and half hunted fewer than five days last season. Like the public-land hunters, they were satisfied with number of days they hunted, the number of shots they fired and the number of ducks they saw and killed.

Now for the resident hunters. A large majority has hunted 10 or more years and hunted more than 10 days last season. However, one-third was dissatisfied with the number of days they hunted, the number of shots they fired and the number of ducks they saw and killed.

Of the nonresidents, about 50 percent have hunted fewer than three years, and 70 percent hunted less than five days last season.

Most hunters also claimed to support Arkansas’ unique onehen limit. I found it curious that preceding this question was a statement declaring that more mallards were killed in Arkansas last year than in any other state. Such a statement, while true, might influence the response and skew the accuracy of the survey. Of course, if the survey is designed to reflect public support of this particular regulation, then a question preceded by a lecture might accomplish that goal.

Also, most respondents said they oppose the ban on spinning wing decoys for duck hunting. A greater percentage of resident hunters, 61 percent, oppose the ban, compared to 53 percent of nonresidents. Additionally, most nonresidents claimed they most often hunted on private land.

Of the public-land hunters, 25 percent said they most often hunt at Bayou Meto Wildlife Management Area. Twelve percent said they hunted at Dave Donaldson / Black River WMA.

Of those who hunt at WMAs, about 50 percent said they believe the WMAs are overcrowded. However, 47 percent of resident hunters believed the WMAs are overcrowded, compared to only 26 percent of nonresidents.

Another question asked about limiting the number of hunters at WMAs. Only 29 percent of residents strongly support this idea, compared to 32 percent of nonresidents.

However, when the question was limiting nonresident hunters at WMAs, 50 percent of residents strongly supported it, and 18 percent somewhat supported it. Nonresidents, naturally, did not think much of that idea. Only 9 percent strongly supported it, and 12 percent somewhat supported it. They were a little more receptive, 24 percent, to limiting resident hunters at WMAs.

Surprisingly, 13 percent of resident respondents strongly supported limiting access.

Respondents said their favorite weeks to hunt were, in order, the third week of January, the first week of December and the fourth week of January.

If given a 45-day season, 40 percent of the respondents said they would prefer to hunt the first week of December, followed by 20 percent who said they would prefer the third week of December.

In a 30-day season, 25 percent said they would prefer the first week of December, and 25 percent said they would prefer the first week of January.

About 75 percent of the respondents rated the AGFC excellent or good, but a greater number of those were nonresidents.

“That’s because they don’t want to be banned from the WMAs,” quipped AGFC vicechairman Freddie Black.

Of the resident hunters, 34 percent were younger than 35, and 24 percent were older than 50.

Of the nonresidents, 22 percent were younger than 35, and 29 percent were older than 50.

Yo, I was one of those surveyed. I gave them an earful!

Did you agree with limiting the number of hunters on the wma's?
    TEAM CODY!<br />\"No intelligent man can live in the great outdoors without being compelled to believe that there is an overrulling power.\"<br /><br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.boykinrescue.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.boykinrescue.org</a>

No I didn't. While there are at times a lot of people, most of what I see are residents, regardless of the OS shit the AR boys tend to whine about. I've been out there for a few years running and if one does a little work you can get away from the crowds. If the AR boys would work a little harder and whine a lot less they probably wouldn't have a problem either. But, most of em set up on the boat trails or 50 ft. to either side.

Never hunted the meto, we hunted private so I couldn't comment on that particular question.
    TEAM CODY!<br />\"No intelligent man can live in the great outdoors without being compelled to believe that there is an overrulling power.\"<br /><br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.boykinrescue.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.boykinrescue.org</a>

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    blahblahblah...
    About 75 percent of the respondents rated the AGFC excellent or good, but a greater number of those were nonresidents.

“That’s because they don’t want to be banned from the WMAs,” quipped AGFC vicechairman Freddie Black.

Of the resident hunters, 34 percent were younger than 35, and 24 percent were older than 50.

Of the nonresidents, 22 percent were younger than 35, and 29 percent were older than 50.
    BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!