Thread: 7.3 Godzilla

Default 7.3 Godzilla

So Ford came out with this beast. Pushrod motor that’s NOT direct injection. GM has the 6.6 L8T pushrod but is direct injection. Still gas.

Which one do I buy?

I was leaning towards 2017-2019 Ford 6.7 diesel until we got one in today with low fuel rail pressure. Failed CP4 I’m assuming. 12k price tag to fix.

But diesels are where it’s at right?

GM 6.6 gas or Ford 7.3 Godzilla gas?

Thoughts….

Keep in mind the 7.3 PCM has been cracked and tuning can really wake this monster up. HP tuners put too much time in the C8 Corvette so they are way behind on the GM 6.6. They are L8T to the game.
    Last edited by KRT; 05-08-2024 at 07:38 PM.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Ford.....

Ford.....Godzilla....

Good grief man! Lol!! Figured that was yours with the for sale sign today.

I’m being told the 24’s are not cracked. I also read plenty of people flashing back to stock after not being satisfied with 5stars shift strategy. There’s 2 other companies I read about, think one is palm beach dyno and I’ll have to get back on the other.

My wife is driving a 24’ tremor 7.3 since she finally got her camper. This is our second in this configuration. My only real bitch is 8.0 mpg towing and a 34 gallon tank means we will be on fumes by Jacksonville and can’t make it to St Augustine with out gassing up. I’ll save everyone the trouble since mpg doesn’t matter in a HD truck, it matters when you need gas every 200 miles. Transfer flow makes a fifty something gallon replacement tank, but it’s around $3k before installation and supposedly dte can’t be reconfigured until someone cracks the new ecm only on the brand new ones, but works fine on previous gen 7.3.

Our trailer is 37’ and is weighing in mid 9k currently. Plenty of power, was able to accelerate up the Talmadge bridge going into Savannah 2 weeks ago loaded down for a 2 week stay at Forest City gun club. I noticed the new one doesn’t skip shift when empty like the 21 did.

It does also have a rear end howl. Local dealer acknowledges it, but won’t act on it because no metal is showing up on the magnet. It’s very noticeable at 20mph and does not change with acceleration or deceleration.

There is also a lot of guys posting about 7.3 lifter failure lately. Guess ford didn’t want GM to make all the money on out of warranty parts.

Sorry for the long winded response.

My vote is diesel, simply because of the extra fuel tank options if you were to desire it.
    Last edited by wdhigh; 05-08-2024 at 08:16 PM.

Is your wife on a Catheter????? My wife can’t make it an hour before asking to stop and pee!

Quote Originally Posted by ducksmoker View Post
    Is your wife on a Catheter????? My wife can’t make it an hour before asking to stop and pee!
    BAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWa. All I got but I can't either if I am drinkin water. Krt sell my ZL1 I know you got people looking for one in mint condition with GM Warranty
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I’ve got nothing but good things to say about my 7.3. It’s pulled everything I hook up to it with zero issues. It’s been tuned with 5Star since I got it and never had any shift issues at all. I run the 87 Daily Tow, change the oil and rotate the tires. Mine rides rough but I keep 75# in the rear, have bags, heavy front service suspension and camper package. The 7.3L is a strong engine for a gas choice, get the 4.30 though.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

So a 3/4 ton with an average GVWR over 9k lbs pulling 10k lbs gettin an average of 10 mpg is bad? Just asking. 75k price tag new average or 40k average used and miles per gallon is an issue? Obviously I could see hurt feelings but that kind of money, price of fuel shouldn’t be a concern.
    More fuel = more boost!!

So a 3/4 ton with an average GVWR over 9k lbs pulling 10k lbs gettin an average of 10 mpg is bad? Just asking. 75k price tag new average or 40k average used and miles per gallon is an issue? Obviously I could see hurt feelings but that kind of money, price of fuel shouldn’t be a concern.
    More fuel = more boost!!

My time is expensive, I'm not putting around trying to save $27.. #teamgreenhandle

My apologies for not being more clear.

It just needs a larger tank. LB get 48 gallons short bed gets 34. I just would prefer not to navigate gas stations with 37’ of trailer unless they have a RV lane.

I feel the 7.3 10 speed is all I need power wise. Now that a replacement for the cp4 is out for the power stroke, I would have seriously entertained that on a used one, but couldn’t find any with a price and mileage that I felt comfortable with.

Rich people problems...
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I found a 2017 6.7 with 20k miles on it last August. I haven’t looked back. Will be changing out the fuel pump soon to remove that issue and otherwise have a warranty through the dealer to 140k miles.
    For the ducks

More fuel = more boost!!

Let me get one

Kevin? Come on Man!!!
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    I quit looking at the MPG calculator, it drinks gas and pulls shit. Plus it sounds good. If I wanted MPG, I wouldn’t drive a truck. FWIW, one of my subs had a 6.6L Silverado, had a 6spd, he rode with me pulling my Bobcat 770 at about 15k trailer, machine and attachments and couldn’t get over the difference. He opted back to a diesel in short order.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Dad just rolled off the lot with a with a new F250 Lariat FX4 with 7.3L with 4.30 gears a couple days ago. MPG shouldn’t be on your mind if you’re leaning towards a truck like this as he is averaging 7.5 mpg but he keeps his foot in it. It’s a beast. Used to tow 35 ft camper, a 22 ft bay boat, and a tractor with implements. Doesn’t mind any of the above. Time will tell but seems to me like a heck of a truck!
    Last edited by Cypress; 05-12-2024 at 08:30 AM.

Just wait till my stuff gets here and you can drive it about a week after you spruce it up
    "And ignoring people on here....that's like being home schooled. Just say you're not ready to face life." Highstrung

I know where a really nice 7.3L is sitting with your name on it.

Take $3k off the price tag and throw in a coozie or two and you too can have no diesel probs, homie!
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!