Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HVAC Opinions

Default HVAC Opinions

Replacing both aging units. Have quotes for Trane and Goodman. I can get 15.2 Seer Goodmans for the same price as 14.8 Tranes. Or even better, I can get 14.3 Goodmans for 4K less. Any opinions on Seer rating and up cost for the units. House is 22 years old. Any opinion on Goodman vs Trane. All units quoted are single stage units.

Edit to add, I'm replacing 22 year old Goodman units.

If you can fix current units, that should be one option A. New units are crap. Sorry, sound like the grumpy old man and didn’t answer your question, but that’s my $.02.

Upstairs unit has had coil replaced 6 years ago, and apparently it has another leak, which has been band aided again so I don't know how long it will last. Downstairs unit needs a board replaced on the air handler every couple of years. R22 is expensive as hell, and I'm tired of band aiding the system. Not to mention the power bill. Its time.

Quote Originally Posted by scmoose View Post
    Replacing both aging units. Have quotes for Trane and Goodman. I can get 15.2 Seer Goodmans for the same price as 14.8 Tranes. Or even better, I can get 14.3 Goodmans for 4K less. Any opinions on Seer rating and up cost for the units. House is 22 years old. Any opinion on Goodman vs Trane. All units quoted are single stage units.
    Please add some real $ to the thread so we can play along at home. My unit is 18 years. Thanks, MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

11K to replace both units coils and air handlers, also replace upstairs catch pan. Goodman 14.3 Seer 2 Ton
    15K for 14.8 Seer 2 Ton Trane units
    15K for 15.2 Seer 2 Ton Goodman units.
    Last edited by scmoose; 05-07-2024 at 10:45 AM.

I just put a little unit in the cottage in the backyard. I cant remember off the top of my head but at a certain level you can get a tax write off for upgarding to a minimum seer. I know we went with a 14 seer and didnt qualify and honestly wasnt aware of tax savings but had to replace the unit so it didnt matter. Not sure if it justifies the $4k more in price either though

Unless it has changed, you will get a better warranty from Goodman. If that is still the case, it should tell you most of what you need to know. I have chased this rabbit many times.

I would still be shopping at those prices.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

Also check pricing on Heil units. I would imagine they are all fairly similar.

Not sure your kw/hr charge but $4k for a .9 increase in seer will every pay back. Especially in todays interested rates.

Id pay the $11k and roll on.

Edit to add:

Online calculators show about $66 savings per year on the seer ratings you have shown. For a 3 ton unit.
    Last edited by Smilee; 05-07-2024 at 11:45 AM.

None of these units qualify for the federal tax break. I believe they only add the tax break against anything you owe, since I have not had to pay, It would not help me. I do believe our power company does offer a rebate for the 15 seer systems. I need to follow up on that. Warrantees are the same from what AC guys are telling me. 10 Years on major parts, compressors coils ext.

Quote Originally Posted by Smilee View Post
    Not sure your kw/hr charge but $4k for a .9 increase in seer will every pay back. Especially in todays interested rates.

Id pay the $11k and roll on.
    Kind of my thoughts as well. Not to mention I'm sure our 22-year-old house isn't quite up to speed on the latest energy efficient equipment, windows, crawl space ext.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    I would still be shopping at those prices.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk
    So what should I "expect" to pay for base level Goodman units. One guy was almost 3k cheaper than the other for the same units.

I don't know your situation, but IF you are in your "forever" home I would also look into Geothermal options. I know in the upstate between the power company rebates and tax rebates by the time it's all said and done it's almost the cost of a traditional HVAC unit.

Had a 3 ton 15 seer Goodman split unit installed in a house a month ago for 7300.00
    Last edited by Panther11; 05-07-2024 at 12:16 PM.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Check into the refrigerant options. 410-A works well but I understand that it is being phased out like R-22 and has already shot up in price. You don’t want to get stuck with an out of production refrigerant in a few years if/when you have to do work on it.
    Last edited by CWPINST; 05-07-2024 at 01:00 PM.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Goodman makes as good of a unit as any other manufacturer. I personally wouldnt pay the $4,000 difference for a trane
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

A buddy that owns a HVAC business told me a month ago that costs are about to skyrocket because of rules EPA is looking to implement. Told me if I was even considering it, to do it now. Might be wise to do a little research on it.
    Last edited by 3 1/2" MAGUM; 05-07-2024 at 07:41 PM.

I was told last month that costs will increase significantly (again) due to new EPA regulations.