Thread: Independent insurance brokers

Default Independent insurance brokers

Looking to make a change and wanted to deal with a broker who could compare rates and plans from numerous providers at once. Anyone familiar with pro/cons of this vs going direct? Any broker recommendations?
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

Yes. The title of your thread is the name of the firm I've used for 8 years. Home and auto. Easy to deal with and you talk to a human when you call. Office is in Irmo I believe.

ETA to add their website:

https://scinb.com
    Last edited by CurLee; 04-24-2024 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by everlast View Post
    Looking to make a change and wanted to deal with a broker who could compare rates and plans from numerous providers at once. Anyone familiar with pro/cons of this vs going direct? Any broker recommendations?
    For commercial insurance, a larger agency (independent broker) would be all that you need as there are very few direct options. If the agent is large enough they would have most all carrier contracts.

For personal, an independent broker will not be able to provide every option. I would recommend comparing an independent broker with direct options such as State Farm (which an independent can’t get a quote from)

I use Kemp Watson and so do a few others on here.
    Been with him for years and he did exactly what you are asking about
    Before him, I was with State Farm for 18 years. (three autos, boat, Harley and home)
    He saved me a significant amount per month and exact coverage
    803-383-1459
    Last edited by ecu1984; 04-24-2024 at 09:20 PM.

I have had Farm Bureau for 35+ yrs. They write my SXS. Golf cart and boats through progressive and foremost .

Also have Ag policy for tractor and farm liability as well as Homeowners and an Umbrella policy

2 adults w no issues on DL and 4 vehicles (15 Chevy Truck, 05 Tahoe, 24 Highlander and 08 Vette). For autos , we carry high limits , we pay about 2K per yr for autos

End of day when I call they KNOW who I am

I use Drew Charles with Palmetto Moon Insurance.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    I use Kemp Watson and so do a few others on here.
    Been with him for years and he did exactly what you are asking about
    Before him, I was with State Farm for 18 years. (three autos, boat, Harley and home)
    He saved me a significant amount per month and exact coverage
    803-383-1459

Call this guy. He responds well to text.

Quote Originally Posted by CofC Waterfowler View Post
    Call this guy. He responds well to text.
    I’m with these guys. Call kemp.

There is no right answer. A large population is gonna tell you that you’re getting screwed by the “big” insurance companies because they found cheaper rates through a broker. I’m gonna tell you that I write people every single day quoting against the same people they switched too.

There are 100’s of factors that go into determining an insurance rate and I’ve given up trying to predict them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was an agent for Nationwide for some time. I thought they were pretty good. I still have my insurance through them. I've also been an agent in the independant world. I liked that as well. Being able to shotgun rates across many companies made me feel better than just quotes from one company. Hell, try both if it makes sense to spend the time doing so.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

At the end of the day, knowing and trusting your agent is the biggest factor, no matter what company underwrites you.
    Last edited by wob; 04-26-2024 at 11:10 AM.

Thank you all for the recommendations. One of the many reasons I appreciate this group.

Called Kemp and he got me right. Went from 644 per month for 3 cars and 3 drivers to 385 per month for 3 cars and 4 drivers. Unbelievable.

Great guy too. When we first contacted him and he was in his yard catching a stray chicken, I knew he was our people.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams