Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: People

Default People

Wyoming hunter sparks outrage for allegedly wounding wolf, parading it in bar before killing it

Published April 8, 2024

A Wyoming hunter paraded a wounded wolf in a bar with its mouth taped shut before taking it outside to kill it – with a family member later mocking outrage over it by posting a reenactment.

A shocking photo recently obtained by the Cowboy State Daily shows Cody Roberts, 42, smiling and raising a can of beer while holding the wolf with red tape wound tightly around its muzzle.

Roberts allegedly disabled the wolf when he ran over it with a snowmobile, but instead of killing it — which is legal in Sublette County, where it happened — took the animal to his home and then to the bar.

He finally took it behind the building and killed it, according to the Cowboy State Daily.

“This is awful,” said Rob Wallace, who oversaw the US Fish and Wildlife Service and the National Park Service as assistant secretary for the interior in the Trump administration.

“Wyoming represents the best in wildlife stewardship and this is a sad and disgusting outlier,” he told the outlet. “In no way do I believe this represents who we are as a state.”

An investigation was launched into the Feb. 29 incident after an anonymous tip was called in a few days later, Wyoming Game and Fish spokeswoman Breanna Ball told Cowboy State Daily.

However, Roberts has only been cited for a wildlife violation over the shocking incident because people may only be charged with cruelty for cases involving pets and domestic animals, not predators like wolves.

He was fined $250 for the violation, the only penalty that Game and Fish said it had the power to enforce.

The photo sparked horror as well as a petition calling for Roberts to face a felony charge of animal cruelty.

Roberts was fined $250 for the violation, a penalty that Game and Fish said is the only one it has the power to enforce.

Amid the outrage, at least one member of the hunter’s family publicly stood by him — while posting pics seemingly making light of the ordeal, including one with her mouth taped shut while she held up a wolf skin.

“I love and support you Cody,” the relative, Jeanne Ivie-Roberts, wrote on Facebook.

She also posted an article by Cowboy State Daily with the headline, ”Wyoming Animal Cruelty Laws Don’t Apply To Alleged Wolf Torment Case” — writing: “Woohoo.”

Ivie-Roberts’ post garnered dozens of comment from users, most of whom voiced support for the hunter, with one saying he “has a good heart” and another writing: “I’m with him!!! I’ll bring the duct tape.”

However, some expressed their horror, with one writing: “Cruelty should never be condoned! No reason for that BS behavior.”

While the mistreatment of the wolf is not illegal under state law, keeping an animal alive and tormenting is an egregious violation of hunting ethics, two sources familiar with the incident told the outlet on condition of anonymity.

Animal welfare groups also expressed outrage at the actions of the trucking business owner, as well as the lack of legal action.

“Roberts’ actions clearly warrant a punishment more severe than the $250 ticket he received …. such an anemic response on the part of law enforcement will be seen by some as tacit approval of his crime and can only motivate other like-minded individuals driven by hatred of wolves to engage in similar, repugnant behavior,” Scott Edwards, general counsel for Animal Wellness Action and the Center for a Humane Economy, wrote in a statement.

Animal welfare groups expressed outrage at the actions of Roberts. Facebook/Jeanne Ivie-roberts
    His letter “cites Wyoming’s anti-animal cruelty law to encourage a more meaningful prosecution of Roberts,” highlighting a section that “makes it a felony to ‘knowingly, and with intent to cause death or undue suffering, beats with cruelty, tortures, torments or mutilates an animal.’”

“While the term ‘torment’ is not defined in the statute, dragging a wild animal into a bar with its mouth taped shut and subjecting it to the severe distress and anguish it must have suffered before being brought outside to be killed is a textbook example of torment,” Edwards wrote.

Wayne Pacelle, president of Animal Wellness Action, said Roberts should not escape prosecution.

“The man who committed this atrocious act of animal cruelty cannot go without punishment under state or federal law, or both,” wrote Pacelle, who worked to make animal cruelty a felony in dozens of states and to make animal cruelty a federal crime.

Cody Roberts holding up wounded wolf

Wayne Pacelle, president of Animal Wellness Action, said Roberts should not escape prosecution.
    “Running over and crushing an animal with a snowmobile, binding the battered and wounded animal’s mouth shut, and deciding to further torment the creature in front of an audience rather than putting him out of his misery is the textbook definition of malicious cruelty,” he wrote.

“A remorseless, cruel monster like this is a threat to other animals, and a threat to people. The law must speak,” Pacelle added.

The two groups are creating an online petition to urge officials to consider the felony charge of animal cruelty against Roberts.

The owner of the Green River Bar, where the wolf was reportedly paraded, did not respond to a request for comment by Cowboy State Daily.

https://nypost.com/2024/04/08/us-new...re-killing-it/

Trash
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Common sense and decency are incredibly rare nowadays.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Damn at the feet on that dog. I'm surprised he didn't keep it for a pet.

i miss the days when you didnt know all these things and could live in some manufactured haze of reality where good people roamed free.

and you people wonder why I dont do (other forms of) social media....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

That guy is only 42?

Same people screaming outrage will be the same ones clamoring to gain the ability to kill their own kids in the womb.

“A remorseless, cruel monster like this is a threat to other animals, and a threat to people. The law must speak,” Pacelle added.

The two groups are creating an online petition to urge officials to consider the felony charge of animal cruelty against Roberts.

They wouldn't claim the same about kids, but lord forbid you kill a freaking wolf.

How many calves did that blood thirsty critter stand over ripping its legs off while it bleats for its mother?? None of them want to talk about that. Here is a suggestion. If they had not "reintroduced" them to the environment no one would be able to tape their mouth and parade them around.

#Rancherrights

#Cattlehealthmatters
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    Same people screaming outrage will be the same ones clamoring to gain the ability to kill their own kids in the womb.

They wouldn't claim the same about kids, but lord forbid you kill a freaking wolf.

How many calves did that blood thirsty critter stand over ripping its legs off while it bleats for its mother?? None of them want to talk about that. Here is a suggestion. If they had not "reintroduced" them to the environment no one would be able to tape their mouth and parade them around.

#Rancherrights

#Cattlehealthmatters
    I think the outrage lies more is his decision to parade it around prior to dispatching it,……. Not that he actually killed
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    now Hogan can fuck off on here all day and call it work, thanks!

Can't fix stupid.

Who among you freely kills snakes? Have you ever thrown one in the bed of your truck to show it off? How about deer? Pigs? Ducks? How about a turkey?

If they let him in the bar with it, maybe this is how those folks see the world.

But the news media classified him as a "Wyoming hunter".....after he hit it with a snowmobile. MSM strikes again.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by murraywader View Post
    That guy is only 42?
    That was my main takeaway from this- holy shit that guy is my age!!

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post

#Rancherrights

#Cattlehealthmatters
    While much of that is true, parading it around while still alive is trashy as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by bitesize View Post
    That was my main takeaway from this- holy shit that guy is my age!!
    Random, meaningless, stupid observations. And you vote.

I mean I done some stupid shit when I was 14-19 but even then I would have had sense enough not to do something so idiotic, and this is a grown ass man smh.

Stupid stupid stupid
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by SCSwitchback View Post
    While much of that is true, parading it around while still alive is trashy as hell.
    So it’s the “still alive” part that you can’t swallow?

While I could care less about a wolf it's a terrible look. Just eliminate the animal and be done with it.

Dude you can't possibly be defending this guy......
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Dude you can't possibly be defending this guy......
    You su'prised, Clark?

Dang. That’s pretty ruff…