Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: H4820 Turkey Bill, Senate Subcommitte next Thursday.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Like the mob that only shows up here to be seen only when turkey season rolls around or some other mob?
    Bill has “quit” this place more times than I can count.

I haven't killed a turkey in 20 years. I'm pretty sure I'm doing my part.

I don’t know about the lower part of the state but the upstate has a lot less turkeys than when I started hunting them 20 years ago. IMO, it’s a combination of issues: predators, less habitat due to growth, less farming, and probably us over hunting them in the past. I would like to have 5 tags, but it’s not practical anymore. If 3 is too many, I’m good with cutting it to 2. The DNR can’t “do nothing ” and hope it gets better. Hope is not a strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ1012 View Post
    I recently listened to Cuz’s podcast Fist Full of Dirt. It was a 2 part podcast with the head Mississippi biologist Adam Butler. In part 1 Adam discusses season frameworks. I think it’s around the 40 minute mark if you’d like to listen. He talks about on some of their public land they have pushed season dates back to see if it boost the turkey populations any. Their studies showed it had no impact on the population. I say all this to say our biologist in this state have had the results of this study now for around 5 years. They also have full control on the bag limits and season dates for public land in this state. Why have they not already implemented these dates on public land if it’s going to help so much? We could’ve had 5 years of data showing if it works or not.

Also I realize their study says April 10th is peak nesting, but most of the time my 20-25 hen flocks are down to 2-4 by April 1st. This year it was down to 2-4 when the season had started. I was seeing a majority of solo hens before we even started hunting. Which means many of them were bred before the season even started.

Happy Easter buddy……
    As I understand it, that project was neither peer-reviewed nor was it published. These are extremely important things in The credibility of Wildlife Research and without them, that project pretty much means nothing. It sounds to me like they did not have enough measurable data to pass judgment on reproductive success.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    As I understand it, that project was neither peer-reviewed nor was it published. These are extremely important things in The credibility of Wildlife Research and without them, that project pretty much means nothing. It sounds to me like they did not have enough measurable data to pass judgment on reproductive success.
    Wasn't that study based on hunter observations and not on GPS turkey movements and nesting data? Why does NC have better populations than most with a later start date and arguably the same predator levels as SC?

Quote Originally Posted by JBtflo View Post
    Wasn't that study based on hunter observations and not on GPS turkey movements and nesting data? Why does NC have better populations than most with a later start date and arguably the same predator levels as SC?
    NC trap and relocate program didn’t end until around 2005 if I’m not mistaken. Therefore perhaps their numbers have not peaked yet like ours did in the early 2000s and began to fall.

I got 10 pages out of my thread. I’m guessing this one makes it 6. Maybe 7 if we can keep up the personal insults and attacks. That’s just good Jesus right there.

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    I wonder what the problem is????

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    Wonder what increased turkey “hunters” and social media play into the decline?
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    Too much
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I got 10 pages out of my thread. I’m guessing this one makes it 6. Maybe 7 if we can keep up the personal insults and attacks. That’s just good Jesus right there.
    If this thread had been started on a slow, midweek work day and not a holiday Friday it would already be at 7 pages
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    Social media

Like the TFC Instagram page?

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    Social media

Like the TFC Instagram page?
    That thing has been on fire lately. Sheweee
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

I've hunted turkeys since before most you were born, around mid 70's. Unmanage pine plantations are the number one problem and I will go to my grave believing that.

Starting around 90 when the clearcutting of land became a monster, soon after is when the decline was noticeable to me. It just was not as visible as it has been in the last decade. I warned of this twenty years ago and was called a goofball. Until habitat is better managed I don't see much chance for improvement.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Here’s how you properly attach a tag to one’s leg, then you sit out until April 1. ALOT of people have issues doing this I’ve heard.
    IMG_1026.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    I've hunted turkeys since before most you were born, around mid 70's. Unmanage pine plantations are the number one problem and I will go to my grave believing that.

Starting around 90 when the clearcutting of land became a monster, soon after is when the decline was noticeable to me. It just was not as visible as it has been in the last decade. I warned of this twenty years ago and was called a goofball. Until habitat is better managed I don't see much chance for improvement.
    I disagree. Private landowners are managing pine stands more intensively than ever. Especially with the abundance of cost share money there is more intensive silviculture in pine plantations with burning, spraying and food plots. Mine love clearcuts, January burns, and clover plots.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto View Post
    A larger caliber will help you with your deer kills. Try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I agree with timber22

Is anybody planning on going Thursday?
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

There are a shit load of factors to why turkeys are declining. Not shooting them until the second week of April with ONLY HELP! Is it the only answer, no! But it’s a damn good start! Until John Dutton is our governor, you can bet the damn Yankees and fags from California will continue to flock here and land will continue to be developed. Predators and scavengers will continue their circle of life, and Michael Waddell will always “show him” that turkey fan. Nest success rates will not change, but if there are more gobblers around to breed every hen, there will be more nests. More nests = more poults. Mare poults = more turkeys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All this reminds me of the time Tall Timbers rolled through. I would have respected them more if they had used a pistol...

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    Probably should just cancel season for a few years
    NO!! then they will all be at the lake fishing and we dang sho don’t need any more pressure out there
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by quack head 11 View Post
    NO!! then they will all be at the lake fishing and we dang sho don’t need any more pressure out there
    Won’t be long and be time to hit some bream and shell cracker beds up.