Thread: Long season with close encounters, Finally- a dead Turkey

Default Long season with close encounters, Finally- a dead Turkey

Turkey April 2024.jpg

Spartanburg County near Lake Blalock
    Gobbled on the roost good, set up on a cow pasture edge. Cows were between me and the 3 gobbling on the limb.
    I got set up and noticed a coyote at 60 yards mixed in with the cows.
    I lip squeaked and he ran in to 20 yards but a cow was laying down right behind him about the same time he smelled me and turned and high tailed it.

I didn't hear the birds fly down but they went quiet for a few minutes and I called, and they immediately cut me off over the hill in the pasture just out of sight.
    They gobbled at everything and anything and finally crested the hill at 60-80 yards and strutted just out of range and all I could see was head and neck and fans.
    They couldn't find the hen and would not come in. I stopped calling and they would drift off out of sight just over the crest of the hill.
    I got real aggressive calling and they turned and came back and answered everything with double gobbles etc but would not get any closer than before.

I let them drift off again and tried scratching in the leaves and calling softly. They would gobble but not get closer.
    I got real aggressive again and they gobbled they finally circled the cows and came on in.
    Dead at 6:55 AM

Nice!

Good stuff! Love that little QB pushpin.

That call is 20 plus years old and has called in a pile of turkeys. It has become a running joke amongst my hunting buddies because the damn thing works and kills turkeys and it's a cheap call I got 25 years ago when I started learning to turkey hunt. I have a copper slate from Ricky, I have box calls and other high-end calls, but nothing works for me like the sound this call makes.

One of my good friends has been using one of those calls for 20 years and he kills them dead.
    DILLIGAF

Hell yeah.

I've got an old Loftis Chatterbox somewhere in my stuff I need to resurrect. That brings back some memories....
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

woohoo!!
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Good job for sticking with them and making it happen.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by prcn View Post
    That call is 20 plus years old and has called in a pile of turkeys. It has become a running joke amongst my hunting buddies because the damn thing works and kills turkeys and it's a cheap call I got 25 years ago when I started learning to turkey hunt. I have a copper slate from Ricky, I have box calls and other high-end calls, but nothing works for me like the sound this call makes.
    Absolutely! Keep killing em with it.

Congrats. A guy I was hunting with in Indiana let me borrow one of those calls, because I hadn't figured out how to use a mouth call well and I could not find my slate...and it was the easiest, best sounding call I've ever used. I've bought a couple of others that look like it, but they don't come close to that easy yelper. I killed a bird with that call first time out, and it was the first bird I actually worked and called in. He wouldn't sell it to me.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Im with simple man back in the 80"s when i used to go to all the calling contest. I talked to Mr. Loftis when i saw him. Chatterbox was a good little call !

Good stuff!