Thread: H4820 Turkey Bill, Senate Subcommitte next Thursday.....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
    If you can’t tell a Jake from a mature (2yrs or older) when they’re in gun range, you need to find another hobby.
    that’s a strong statement.

Ive accidentally killed 5-6 jake’s over the last 30 years and im sure ill kill another one.
    Windows Down!

Quote Originally Posted by raybird View Post

Ive accidentally killed 5-6 jake’s over the last 30 years and im sure ill kill another one.
    It happens on occasion. As of right now on the app it says 9,471 turkeys have been killed this year. 549 have been jakes. If we are to the point where 549 birds are making an impact on our population we have much larger issues.

I think it unnecessarily complicates the turkey regulations. And who am I to tell someone they can’t shoot a Jake when it’s not going to impact a population. Several years ago I went to the Westervelt turkey school and sat with Tom Kelly, Eddie Salter and an 80 year old guide named Junior. As they sat and ate breakfast they lamented the days when they would shoot a Jake and be damn proud of it simply because it was a turkey. It changed my thinking a lot listening to those guys. They said at the time the earlier days were the bad old days of turkeys and we were currently in the golden age(this was a 13 years ago) and that it would cycle back down to somewhere in between. Boy were they ever right.

Quote Originally Posted by raybird View Post

You remember that one I shot with Rayzor on the lake in flip flops? It weighed about 12 lbs. Slipped in silent behind me. All I saw was a lit up head while I was looking through the corner of my skull. I was damn proud of that bird and as I remember it taste fantastic to a few broke as college kids who could barely afford the grease to fry it in!

That wasn't my last, but my intentional last....
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Quote Originally Posted by fro View Post
    You remember that one I shot with Rayzor on the lake in flip flops? It weighed about 12 lbs. Slipped in silent behind me. All I saw was a lit up head while I was looking through the corner of my skull. I was damn proud of that bird and as I remember it taste fantastic to a few broke as college kids who could barely afford the grease to fry it in!

That wasn't my last, but my intentional last....
    hell yea! still one of the smallest jake’s i ever seen…it probably wasn’t going to make it anyway.

Tasted great!
    Windows Down!