Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: H4820 Turkey Bill, Senate Subcommitte next Thursday.....

Default H4820 Turkey Bill, Senate Subcommitte next Thursday.....

The H4820 Turkey Bill has passed the House "as written" without any amendments and this is quite monumental.This would not have happened were it not for hunter support and all of the phone calls, emails, and personal conversations with House members by concerned hunters in support of this H4820.
    It is now going before the Senate first in subcommittee of the Senate Fish, Game & Forestry Committee meeting onThursday, April 4, 2024, at 10 a.m. in a room TBD atthe Gressette Building at the State House complex.
    On their agenda is H4820, a bill which will amend turkey seasons (agenda attached).*
    The current version of that bill can be found here: https://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess125...bills/4820.htm
    If you support these changes to benefit turkey populations in South Carolina, you can go to the subcommittee meeting, sign up to speak and give a brief testimony regarding your position on the bill.*If that is not an option, you can voice support by calling or emailing committee members.*
    The membership of the committee is attached.*
    Subcommittee members are highlighted but it is absolutely appropriate to reach out to ALL the members of the full committee & even your local Senator at this point in time.*

These Senators need to get a better understanding of the amount of public support for change and the real declines in turkey numbers seen around most of South Carolina.
    By reaching out and letting them know that you support the bill as currently written and would like to see them pass it with no amendments would be very impactful.*
    You can let them know the bill is based on science, data and professional recommendations.
    It has the support of turkey hunters across the state that are looking for substantive changes needed to improve the declining turkey populations that we are experiencing in much of SC and across the Southeast.

Senate Fish, Game & Forestry Committee

Chairman George "Chip" Campsen, III ChipCampsen@scsenate.gov
    Senator Brian Adams brianadams@scsenate.gov
    Senator Sean Bennett seanbennett@scsenate.gov
    Senator Tom Corbin tomcorbin@scsenate.gov
    Senator Ronnie Cromer RonnieCromer@scsenate.gov
    Senator Tom Davis TomDavis@scsenate.gov
    Senator Mike Fanning mikefanning@scsenate.gov
    Senator Stephen Goldfinch stephengoldfinch@scsenate.gov
    Senator Brad Hutto bradhutto@scsenate.gov
    Senator Josh Kimbrell joshkimbrell@scsenate.gov
    Senator Thomas McElveen, III thomasmcelveen@scsenate.gov
    Senator Mike Reichenbach mikereichenbach@scsenate.gov
    Senator Scott Talley scotttalley@scsenate.gov
    Senator Kent Williams kentwilliams@scsenate.gov
    Senator Tom Young, Jr. tomyoung@scsenate.gov
    Senator Tameika Isaac Devine tameikaisaacdevine@scsenate.gov
    Senator Deon Tedder deontedder@schouse.gov
    Last edited by Calibogue; 03-29-2024 at 04:50 AM.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Does anyone know Chip Campsens’ stance?
    Windows Down!

Thank you.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

April 10 started in zones 3 and 4 is silly. Should have left it at April 1 and if they felt the need to make a change implement the 10 day rule. Also, the only turkeys not killed are going to be that 3rd tags that only a very small majority of hunters even use, something to do to make it look like you are doing something.
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

There does need to be change to address the decline in the wild turkey population in SC. That being said, I will be sure to voice my opinion that I do not support a later start date. Thank you for sharing this.

Serious question. Why do y'all not support a later start date? Everything I've seen from wildlife biologists supprts starting later.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

April 10th is not too late for game zone 4. Coastal NC has had a later start date for several years and it has worked out great. Horry, Georgetown, Marion, Darlington etc, are not much different.

April 10 is bullshit
    80-20 Genaration

And the people that I’ve talked to that know that their talking about say April 1
    80-20 Genaration

Should've made it 4/15
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Probably should just cancel season for a few years
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    April 10 is bullshit
    Agreed, but if it means it more hens get bred before some dipshit shoots the preferred breeders over a male turkey decoy and or out of a blind I can live with it.
    Seems like the only way to defeat the decoy and tent crowd to some degree....
    Last edited by BRR; 03-29-2024 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BRR View Post
    Agreed, but if it means it more hens get bred before some dipshit shoots the preferred breeders over a male turkey decoy and or out of a blind I can live with it.
    Seems like the only way to defeat the decoy and tent crowd to some degree....
    I got no problem getting rid of male decoys.
    80-20 Genaration

I'm convinced that if you put 10 turkey hunters in a room and asked what sort of season framework/limits/ methods they want to see happen you'd get 13 different answers......
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

I’d vote for 4/1-5/1, 1 bird limit.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

There has been a lot of research on this by more qualified individuals than most on this board. While its a huge change from going from mid March to early April, if you look at the research the breeding season is the same state wide from the upstate to the lowcountry and tends to be around the first of April. The reasoning is so hopefully more hens get bred and therefore hopefully more turkeys to hunt. If more hens are bred before the gobblers are killed, this does not mean that those poults will even survive. This is essentially just so there is a chance that hopefully there are more poults and then its off to the races on their survival which is still slim to none. Again its important to know that the research being conducted and the recommendations aren't coming from tree hugging peta liberals but by turkey hunters and killers. As long as there is a sunset clause, why not look at this as a way to possibly curb something before wild turkeys become the way of the wild quail.

Simple math, boys. Later the start date the more hens get bred. NC has been pushing the opener back and back on the recommendation of our biologists (one of them being my best friend) for several years and the data shows it’s helping tremendously. NC starts April 13th this year.

And while I’ll agree habitat loss (cutting down hardwoods forests to make room to house Yankees, and clear-cutting pine stands to build houses for Yankees) is doing the most harm, a later start date is the only logical approach that can be made at the state level. Banning male decoys would suit me just fine, but I don’t see the state pushing that. They still need a few turkeys to get killed in the name of “hunter retention”

Everyone’s a biologist.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    I got no problem getting rid of male decoys.
    That would be my preference and leave the season alone. But apparently we live in a world now where hunter success by whatever means outweighs the resources success....

Quote Originally Posted by wiz18 View Post
    Simple math, boys. Later the start date the more hens get bred. NC has been pushing the opener back and back on the recommendation of our biologists (one of them being my best friend) for several years and the data shows it’s helping tremendously. NC starts April 13th this year.

And while I’ll agree habitat loss (cutting down hardwoods forests to make room to house Yankees, and clear-cutting pine stands to build houses for Yankees) is doing the most harm, a later start date is the only logical approach that can be made at the state level. Banning male decoys would suit me just fine, but I don’t see the state pushing that. They still need a few turkeys to get killed in the name of “hunter retention”
    Can we start a bill to ban Yankees? I promise you I will call my reps for that one.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...