Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dogwoods

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    They are looking pretty good in Greenville- at least in my area.
    The latest mine has bloomed is this year. I hope that’s a good sign for turkey season this year! Year past it has flowered out by the beginning of March!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a pretty big one at the lake that looked rough in the fall. I am curious to see if it blooms. I havent been there in a few weeks. Its in the way but I just cant cut it down yet.
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

It seems to me that when I bought this property 30 years ago and commented on all of the wild dogwoods I was told they have a lifespan of about 20-25 years, which coincides with the decline I’ve been seeing for awhile.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

In my younger days when the dogwoods bloomed it meant the stripers were starting to run up the Saluda river behind the Lake Murray Dam. Spent many days fishing below the dam.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbuckdown View Post
    In my younger days when the dogwoods bloomed it meant the stripers were starting to run up the Saluda river behind the Lake Murray Dam. Spent many days fishing below the dam.

For us in north ga it was the also time to go white bass fishing in the rivers. I skipped many a classes at UGA when they were running.
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

Know of a nice spot on some WMA that had a ton last 2 years blooming. Will know how they are doing soon as I go back and turkey hunt…
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

I might be overlooking it, but I don’t see the same disease in the “wild” trees, as I see in the neighborhood trees. I couldn’t find a healthy looking dogwood around town if my life depended on it. All the wild trees I saw turkey hunting yesterday looked great.

I stopped counting at 10 on the way from Campobello to Tryon this morning. Bangers. Happy Easter, folks! Jesus is on the loose!

Next up: oak wilt

Quote Originally Posted by GMAC View Post
    Next up: oak wilt
    Lord no…that stuff is ruthless in Tejas.

Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold