Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .Gov

Default .Gov

South Carolina has $1.8 billion but doesn't know where the money came from or where it should go

JEFFREY COLLINS
    Tue, March 26, 2024

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — South Carolina has collected about $1.8 billion in a bank account over the past decade and state and private accountants are still trying to figure out where the cash came from and where it was supposed to go.

“It's like going into your bank and the bank president tells you we have a lot of money in our vault but we just don't know who it belongs to,” said Republican Sen. Larry Grooms

It's the latest trouble with the state's books and the two agencies, typically led by elected officials, that are in charge of making sure government accounts stay balanced.

Last year, the elected comptroller general — the state's top accountant — resigned after his agency started double posting money in higher education accounts, leading to a $3.5 billion error that was all on paper. The problem started as the state shifted computer systems in the 2010s.

The latest issue appears to involve actual cash and elected Treasurer Curtis Loftis, whose job is to write checks for the state.

Investigative accountants are still trying to untangle the mess, but it appears that every time the state’s books were out of whack, money was shifted from somewhere into an account that helped balance it out, state Senate leaders have said.

“Politics really shouldn't come into play. People prefer their accountants not be crusaders,” Grooms said Tuesday, just after the Senate approved putting a constitutional amendment before voters to make the comptroller general an appointed position. The proposal now goes to the House.

Grooms suggested that an amendment to make the treasurer also appointed might be next unless he can provide some satisfactory answers.

Whatever caused the bank account errors has not been rectified, and if there are records showing where the $1.8 billion came from, they have not been shared with state leaders.

“It does not inspire confidence. But the good news is no money was lost," Gov. Henry McMaster said.

Loftis has said he invested the money in the mystery account and made nearly $200 million in interest for the state, which led to questions about why he didn't let the General Assembly know money they either set aside for state agencies or that might have been in a trust fund was just sitting around.

Loftis said that wasn't the job of his office.

The comptroller general “is attempting to shift responsibility to clean up its mess to the Treasurer,” Loftis wrote in a March 14 letter to Grooms that also said a timeline to answer questions in just a few weeks was impossible.

Loftis said his staff spent thousands of hours researching the account, and that the Comptroller General's Office has refused to meet with them or share information.

An audit of how the Treasurer's Office and the Comptroller General's Office communicate found they don't do it well

The treasurer hasn't answered detailed questions from lawmakers, but has posted statements on social media where he said he was being attacked politically and was having blame shifted on him by Comptroller General Brian Gaines, a well-respected career government worker who took over the office after Richard Eckstrom resigned during his sixth term.

Gaines and Loftis have been called before Grooms' committee next week. Grooms said Gaines has answered every question his subcommittee has asked and that he has confidence in his work.

Grooms said he thinks Loftis' office should have found the mistake, but it was reported by the Comptroller General's Office.

South Carolina has had a long history of accounting issues.

The Treasure's Office was created when the state's first constitution was written in 1776. Back then, the General Assembly selected the treasurer. But by the early 1800s, the state's finances were in “a state of bewildering confusion” and no one could “tell the amounts of debts or of the credit of the State,” according to History of South Carolina, a book edited in 1920 by Yates Snowden and Howard Cutler.

The first comptroller general determined the state was due about $750,000, which would be worth about $20 million today considering inflation.

Meanwhile, plenty of lawmakers and others are aware there is $1.8 billion sitting around potentially unspent and not appropriated at a time when $3 billion in requests from state agencies went unfulfilled in next year's budget just passed by the South Carolina House.

Legislative leaders and the governor want to wait for some definitive report before tapping into the account.

“That's a lot of money and there is no need to hurry up and try to spend it,” McMaster said.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/south-car...l?guccounter=1

Turn it into a pothole fund and it'll cover about 1/4 of them.

Sent via Galaxy s23 Ultra using Tapatalk

The hell with pot holes I want it back.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

For once I agree with silent weapon
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

FIFY

It's the latest trouble with the state's books and the two agencies, typically led by elected officials, that are in charge of making sure government accounts stay empty.

The peoples money and should be returned!!!
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

They don’t know where it came from? That’d be SC tax payers dumb ass.

These guys must have put a decimal in the wrong place or something
    Last edited by MDman; 03-27-2024 at 07:48 AM.
    "To the sensitive gunner nothing can equal a bird and a dog and a gun in trilogy."
    George Bird Evans

SC dot gov and its politicians are the George Costanzas of the state governments. What a clown show.

Quote Originally Posted by MDman View Post

These guys must have put a decimal in the wrong place or something
    This'll be lost on many. Well appreciated, sir.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Micheal Bolton fan here, I celebrate the guys entire catalog.

They’ll figure out how to waste it on stupid shit. Maybe buy some more properties like the convent in Charleston.

Give it back, get roads fixed, fund the schools, give teachers and first responders raises etc. use it for something useful.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

It'll be like giving away "free money" in the ghetto. They will spend it in short order on useless shit, and then come looking for more.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie horse View Post
    Micheal Bolton fan here, I celebrate the guys entire catalog.
    Bwahahahah! Well played sir

That no talent ass clown became famous and started winning grammys....
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

another accounting check will find that in error, we're in the hole like all states

the old "it aint my job" excuse.

If I send my rep an email, do I get my cut?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Speaking of roads. Why are we putting 5.2 million in sidewalks when the roads are so bad. Is this a major pedestrian thoroughfare?

https://www.abccolumbia.com/2024/03/...-sunset-drive/

This found money should be crated up and shipped to UkraiNe at once, Comrades. Do your part...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    This found money should be crated up and shipped to UkraiNe at once, Comrades. Do your part...
    I just assumed the legislators would divie it up amongst themselves. Surely they can spend it better than we can.

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    I just assumed the legislators would divie it up amongst themselves. Surely they can spend it better than we can.
    They are already trying to orchestrate a politically correct way of doing just that. Maybe those stumps will get removed after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14