Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hank Parker on Forward Facing Sonar

Default Hank Parker on Forward Facing Sonar

Bass fishing is a lot of fun...too bad its turned into a video game as a sport.
    At least I'm housebroken.

Sort of like using decoys for turkey hunting...
    Last edited by Sasha and Abby; 03-26-2024 at 04:48 AM.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Now I'm sure I need one.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Hate to tell him, but FFS is here to stay. The older guys don't like it because a whole new generation of up and coming guys have put the time into it and are using it to win tournaments. Technology change is inevitable. Either get on board with it, or get left behind. I have it on my boat and enjoy using it. Will I ever be as good with it as these young guy, no way, never. But that's OK.
    E T

Just because we have the legal technology like FFS to catch fish doesn't mean it's "fishing". We have gotten so far away from "fair chase" with cellular trail cameras, drones, spinning wing decoys, night vision, among many other technological gadgets.

I've seen FFS turn a mere average fisherman into a cooler filling machine. I can see it appealing to kids because it's like playing a video game and satisfies their need for constant stimulation and instant gratification.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

The Two Ponds crowd says "hi".
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Just because we have the legal technology like FFS to catch fish doesn't mean it's "fishing". We have gotten so far away from "fair chase" with cellular trail cameras, drones, spinning wing decoys, night vision, among many other technological gadgets.

I've seen FFS turn a mere average fisherman into a cooler filling machine. I can see it appealing to kids because it's like playing a video game and satisfies their need for constant stimulation and instant gratification.
    Preach.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post

Could it be that the parents were the initial cause of the children needing this instant and constant stimulation and gratification
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by E. Taylor View Post
    Hate to tell him, but FFS is here to stay. The older guys don't like it because a whole new generation of up and coming guys have put the time into it and are using it to win tournaments. Technology change is inevitable. Either get on board with it, or get left behind. I have it on my boat and enjoy using it. Will I ever be as good with it as these young guy, no way, never. But that's OK.
    In your mind, is there ever a point where we should limit technology?
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

For those who think you just put it on the boat and instantly start catching fish, you are sadly misinformed. It takes 100's if not 1000's of hours of practicing and working with FFS to get proficient with it and the learning curve never ends. Like right now, the pollen is so thick in the water it almost makes FFS useless. But if you work at it, you can learn to use what the technology gives you. Learning boat control, lure choice, lure presentation are key to their success. So don't hate on the guys who have put the hours and effort in to improve their fishing. It didn't come easy and I can assure you, it's nothing like playing video games. Time and effort equals success as in all things we do.
    Last edited by E. Taylor; 03-26-2024 at 08:26 AM.
    E T

Quote Originally Posted by E. Taylor View Post
    For those who think you just put it on the boat and instantly start catching fish, you are sadly misinformed. It takes 100's if not 1000's of hours of practicing and working with FFS to get proficient with it and the learning curve never ends. Like right now, the pollen is so thick in the water it almost makes FFS useless. But if you work at it, you can learn to use what the technology gives you. Learning boat control, lure choice, lure presentation are key to their success. So don't hate on the guys who have put the hours and effort in to improve their fishing. It didn't come easy and I can assure you, it's nothing like playing video games. Time and effort equals success as in all things we do.
    Try to keep up. No one has said it’s easy to use and equals instant success. We all understand you have to learn how to use it, just like dialing in your radar to see a rip offshore or birds over the horizon. But when people with waaaay less time on the water, read experience, start routinely beating waaaay more experienced fisherman, across the country, it’s definitely a game changer. Yea older guys could put in he time and learn to use it. But knowing where to go and figuring out what to do is different than just riding around scoping for fish hen beating hem up until they bite. I’m reading where tech has improved in last couple of years on the stuff to where it works good even in 1-3 feet of water. And I’m fine with 5em limiting technology and taking it away. I read or it was in a video I watched on this, we already have the tech to make the ball go farther, baseballs and golf balls, but they don’t allow it. Little league bats are another example where tech is there but limited. MLB has been screwing g around with the ball they use for last few years, making it harder, because they want more scoring. Tech affecting many sports. I’m betting it doesn’t get taken away bc BASS and FFL like weigh ins with big bags and more competition from more anglers if I had to guess.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

I caught a pile of crappies in Lake Murray last week. Seven of them were over 2 pounds with the largest being a 2.51 big girl full of eggs. I never even turned on my FFS. Yep caught them all the old fashioned way. So I don't need FFS, but I do enjoy using it sometimes. Is it too much technology, I don't think so. Guys are using new technologies every day in the outdoors and other sports. I do think we should limit tournamet fishermen to one FFS unit on their boats. That will even the playing field. By the way, all the fish I caught last week, were released back into the lake so they can complete their spawn. I love to catch them, but I release way more than I keep.
    E T

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Meh
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Isn't it more fun though when you catch them without all the technology?

I guess you have to ask what gets you outside: Having to make the kill/catch, or the enjoyment of the pursuit?

At least that's my outlook on the technological boom in the hunting/fishing industry.

ETaylor is the Coot Nasty of sonar.

Exactly. It doesn't matter if it's cell cams, drones, mud motors, or fancy doo-dads for your boat. Technology is increasing at a rapid rate and, whether we want to admit it or not, is having a huge effect on the way we pursue and take fish and game.

I'm not saying technology is bad. But at some point, WE are going to have to decide what is too much. If not, I'm afraid we are going to lose the resources we love or, even worse, someone is going to decide for us and it may not be what we would like.
    Last edited by MolliesMaster; 03-26-2024 at 09:25 AM.

GPS drastically changed the game of offshore bottom fishing. Spot lock trolling motors has eliminated the need to know how to anchor up on structure in a lot of cases. I'm told that tournament marlin fishing has been disrupted by the use of sonar and drones. Most of us use internet search engines to research new hunting and fishing techniques. How do we decide which new tech is good or bad?

Contrast that with sports that self-impose difficulty to bring back the challenge, like archery hunting for deer and turkeys.

I don't know how we decide. It will take coming together as a group to draw the hard lines. We've got to set our greed down, though. And I think that will be the bigger battle.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    GPS drastically changed the game of BASS FISHING offshore bottom fishing. Spot lock trolling motors has eliminated the need to know how to anchor up on structure in a lot of cases. I'm told that tournament marlin fishing has been disrupted by the use of sonar and drones. Most of us use internet search engines to research new hunting and fishing techniques. How do we decide which new tech is good or bad?

Contrast that with sports that self-impose difficulty to bring back the challenge, like archery hunting for deer and turkeys.
    GPS and mapping is more of a game changer than a dozen FFS. Those days of triangulation are long gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?