Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drainage issue in yard...help!

Default Drainage issue in yard...help!

Does anyone live near the goose creek/moncks corner area that does French drains or deal with removing water/swampy areas from yards? We are looking at a house in Foxbank plantation and there is a mini swamp in the back corner of the yard. The neighbors behind have a house that sits a good bit higher and I believe their yard is the reason why this yard is holding water. They put down rock on their side to help and also planted cypress trees along the fence line. There are literally cypress knees growing in the yard we are looking at. About halfway down the back fence, there is a small drainage easement and I feel like all of the yards before us slope towards it but the water can't make it there due to stopping in our yard. Any ideas? Suggestions? Easy fix or could it be an issue in the long run?20240325_183806.jpg20240325_183737.jpg20240325_183800.jpg
    every expert was once a beginner

That area has historically been wet. This will be a long term issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not expert, but the way govt tends to over regulate anything they can...I wouldn't buy anything wet that I wanted dryer.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

I'd pass...
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

All you gotta do is build it up higher than your neighbors. Then it's somebody else's problem to deal with. Pretty much what they did to that yard

Cypress knees? That land is a filled in swamp. Foundation issues are next

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And don't forget how often you'll be replacing portions of that fence. I'd pass. Water issues don't tend to go away for cheap.

Is it on septic or sewer?

Is it just that corner? What does rest of yard look like after it has rained hard for a few days? Septic or sewer? Is house on higher ground and raised up with crawl space? If it is just that spot, it may be an easy fix or something you could live with depending on size of the rest of the yard. I would have under house checked out either way and make sure I saw the yard after a lot of rain. Even a French drain needs somewhere to empty.

It appears that you’d like to convince yourself that there’s an easy solution, but you’ve gotten the right answer above. Don’t look back.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Grew up hunting and fishing Fox Bank some. Was a pretty place.

You got your answer above....would pass.
    Gulf

Run away
    "the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

From the look of the bottom of that fence its been a problem for quite some time. Really the only "fix" is to bring in sand and topsoil and raise that portion of the yard up higher than the neighbors and push it back to them, or re-grade the entire back yard and slope your drainage to a French drain that empties by the street.

If y'all really like the house, get quotes based on Fireman's advice, and then use it as leverage during the negotiations.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Dont live near you, but I have been fighting a battle like this since 2018. Spent thousands on moisture control under the house, and a full weekend regrading one side of the back yard with sand to change the profile and send the water down the hill. Its still wet and annoying, but much better. I won't take something like this on again. I would make sure the drainage issues are addressed or there is some compensation involved before you consider. Listen to the people above.

The house is bad to the bone. Has a damn pantry I can almost park my golf carts(2 of them) in. 4 bedrooms, 3.5 baths, 3200 square feet all on 1 story with a frog with its own full bathroom and walk in closet. I was throwing around the idea of a small bog garden and have seen some that are actually kind of cool looking. It's only a spot about 10x5 that is like this, rest of the yard is dry. House sits on almost a pad of dirt and the ground slopes away from it. I'm guessing the neighbor to the back is not helping the cause. There is a drainage easement between the neighbor and this place and the drainage cover is covered with grass and vines. Hard not to get the house as it checks all of the boxes we want, minus the labrea tar pits
    every expert was once a beginner

You sound like a woman making an emotional decision. Do. Not. Buy.

But, since you’re going to anyway just know that you deserve everything coming your way. Good luck.

Come to think of it, I know where there’s an old lobster trap sitting on top of 5 pallets, how much you give me for the lot?

Quote Originally Posted by ducksmoker View Post
    Is it on septic or sewer?
    It's sewer if I had to guess. I used to have some rentals in there and its a huge development.
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

Bog garden? Your house will be a bog garden dude…
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!