Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wife needs new SUV, suggestions ?

My wife is good for 20-25k miles per year. Kids, work, life, so we wanted something that would do it all well.

Past 10 years after the (2) Toyota Sienna's:

2012 - QX 56/80 - Wife loved, had some minor issues under warranty - dumped at 100k

2015 Escalade - Wife loved the bells and whistles - too many headaches (7k out of pocket) - dumped it at 100k

2019 Toyota Sequoia - Lasted about 6 months - Too big and thursty for high mileage daily. dumped it at 8k

Sold the Sequoia and bought the below w/ some mile son them so she could figure it out.

2015 LX 570 (120k) - Family tripper - Just sold last month (for what I paid) w/ 160k - Best car I have ever owned
    2015 Subaru Outback (60K) - 4cyl, awd, Sold (for what I paid) when we ordered the Ascent below - Good high mileage mid-size commuter. Good car for the wife and kids beating on it daily.

2023 Subaru Ascent - 3rd row, pano roof, turbo 4, AWD - 26k so far so good.
    Last edited by BullJakeGrappler; 03-24-2024 at 09:13 PM.
    Double Secret Probation Officer

Wife is wanting a new ride as well. We drove some smaller SUV’s when I was home. We liked the Lexus & the Cadillac. We still have a few more drive. Her 2012 sequoia has 160k on it, & only needed the starter replaced along with normal maintenance. It’s been a great car but she’s grumbling about fuel mileage now.

Gas in paid off SUV is a whole lot cheaper than new SUV.

GX460 or above, at some point you're going to have to drive it. I was behind the wheel of my wife's for like 20 hours this weekend.. and you'll look like a bitch in any honda. There's no way I'd buy domestic right now.

Quote Originally Posted by wbrown609 View Post
    Gas in paid off SUV is a whole lot cheaper than new SUV.
    Yes it is. We might wait a bit. 14-16mpg adds up after a while, when a new one is 25-37mpg pending the model

Quote Originally Posted by Tugted312 View Post
    Yes it is. We might wait a bit. 14-16mpg adds up after a while, when a new one is 25-37mpg pending the model
    You aint putting no miles on that thing. I did the math for my wife the other day. 25k a year @ 15mpg @ $3.50/g = 1667 g or $5,835. 25k a year @ 25mpg @ 25mpg = 1000g or $3,500. $2300 won't cover the interest on the first year.

Put gas in that damn thing and don't look back.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by Swift Strike View Post
    You said nothing Dodge related, but if you don't go check out a Wagoneer you're missing out big time.
    I would never buy any Chrysler product. One of the places I work bought five new vehicles in 2017 or 18. Three were Jeeps ( one Liberty, and two where Compasses) and two were Toyota. None of the Jeeps where even operable at around 130000 miles. They where always in the shop. The Toyotas are still running and have never had any major issues. These vehicles are run non stop 24/7.
    Last edited by scbulldog; 03-25-2024 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    GX460 or above, at some point you're going to have to drive it. I was behind the wheel of my wife's for like 20 hours this weekend.. and you'll look like a bitch in any honda. There's no way I'd buy domestic right now.
    Like these

Question is height of vehicle. Like I said we are both getting older and we keep cars a long time and just wondering about 5-8 yrs down road getting in and out of it

Her round trip to work every day is not more than 5 miles, so fuel mileage not an issue

My 3 year old can get in my wife’s lx570 on her own. It’s not too high if it’s stick with running boards.

You like Chevy. Take a look at a Traverse. Underappreciated vehicle IMHO. The wife is on her second and only got rid of the first to get power and heated seats.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    You like Chevy. Take a look at a Traverse. Underappreciated vehicle IMHO. The wife is on her second and only got rid of the first to get power and heated seats.
    Thanks Tater, she has mentioned those. She drove a Trailblazer for 15 + yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    My wife has a 2019 she loves. Stopped the auto stop and it has been a great vehicle!
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post
    No offense but I would not be caught dead i one

Keep trying to nudge her that direction , in fact would like to see her get a brand new Pilot but she is a hard headed female

Actually have a Salesman from local Toyota as client and a GM from Nissan place as well.

Hell may be hard prying her out of that Tahoe , she bitches about it but then says she had just soon keep it.
    None taken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well after a LONG DAY of searching all over Greenville we ended back up in Anderson at Ralph Hayes and Wife got a 2024 Highlander Platinum

Started at Carmax just so she could get in and out of several brands and she tried them all , really liked the Mercedes Benz but long term maintenance cost spooked me . Same with BMW Nothing against these just I know nothing about maintenance costs and have clients that love them

Even talk with my BIL Shop Manager at local Goodyear and first words out of his mouth were Toyota , especially as long as we are known to keep vehicles

End of day she got in a Highlander at Carmax and loved it , tried to push her toward a Lexus but she HATES front end of them

Called client that is salesman at Ralph Hayes ( which Ralph Hayes donates a car every year for our A5 Teacher of the Year which has always impressed me ) and he took it from there. Had a color she loved

Wife is now like a kid at Christmas and she is never like this

Thanks for all ideas and input , really helped a lot.