Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wife needs new SUV, suggestions ?

Default Wife needs new SUV, suggestions ?

Wife still driving her 2005 Z71 Tahoe(164K miles on it).

Been a fairly trouble free vehicle for all these years, couple years back had rear main seals done, timing chain and replaced water pump and fuel pump over the years

I love the Tahoe and the ride of it , makes me miss days I had a Suburban and great when we go on vacation

She has been half way looking and not sure what she wants, I did (and not she did not flip me off or cuss me) that she will be 61 this year and may want a mid size which she admitted I was correct

AWD or 4WD not really needed and honestly think anything with out 4WD would be a little lower to get in and out of

She has been looking at Infinity QX80 & QX60, Cadillac XT6 and actually another Tahoe . She has also looked at some Mercedes and BMW’s but local shop I use does not work on those so we pretty much ruled them out

I know nothing about Infinity other than I Daughter an Infinity car we got her after high school and Son in Law was driving it up until this time last year until I gave him my Dodge Ram 1500 . Car had 200K on it and never an issue

I am a Chevy guy so do not mention anything Ford or Dodge related , even though She might like it she is not a Ford person either
    Last edited by tprice; 03-23-2024 at 06:23 AM.

Acura MDX. Mid size, good power, very reliable, has a 3 of that stows away when not in use. We have a 2014 and it has been trouble free minus the normal routine maintenance. It's AWD and built like a tank. Gets about 20 mpg and it's a V6 with plenty of power. Very stable in the rain. We have 130k on ours and it still runs like it did when it was new. You can get it serviced at the acura dealership or honda dealership.
    every expert was once a beginner

Lexus GX460

Acura is a good choice. If not looking at luxury brands, Honda Pilot would also be a good choice. Any of the Toyota SUVs as well. Go ahead and get AWD.

In that price range don't leave out Mercedes.

Toyota highlander is worth a look. My wife loves hers.

I know nothing about anything when it comes to new cars, so take this with a grain of salt...

I rent a lot of cars for work and the National program allows me to get in a lot of nicer SUVs...I've been in them all. The last two rentals I've had have been a fully loaded Hyundai Palisade...It's probably the nicest looking, best feeling, most comfortable SUV I've rented in a long time.

Toyota/Lexus

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    most comfortable SUV
    Lexus LX570 set to comfort, stereo around 22 and seat AC on full!

I have an XT6, it’s a lot of bang for the buck, get the AWD. It’s a $60 oil change. It has a non turbo V6.
    I’ve had BMW and Infinity, this is better.

Mine drives a GX and likes it. I like it too and would 100% buy another. Take a look at the JD Power reliability scores and you’ll find it on top.

Quote Originally Posted by wbrown609 View Post
    Acura is a good choice. If not looking at luxury brands, Honda Pilot would also be a good choice. Any of the Toyota SUVs as well. Go ahead and get AWD.
    DIL has a Pilot and loves it , have not thought about those

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post
    DIL has a Pilot and loves it , have not thought about those
    If Honda makes one, Honda makes the best one. (Except outboard motors and pickup trucks.)
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

I haven't driven one, but when we were in Boston a lot of the Uber drivers had the Toyota Highlander. I was more impressed with it than I thought I'd be.

For the love of all things holy do not buy a Lexus GX 460. Wife has one because she wanted to go from a sequoia to a mid size suv. I despise everything about the GX. They ride awful, crap MPG, full time 4wd so they eat tires and require an alignment pretty often, and a PITA if you like to change your own oil. And the infotainment system is comical on how dated it is (hers is a ‘22 model, the new ones might be better).

She likes the car, but I would too if I could just flip my husband the keys and it magically came back with a complete service and full of fuel. The second she hints at wanting a new car we are driving straight to the lot.

Toyota

Wife has a 4 runner she can’t kill despite her and the kids best efforts. Trouble free with only maintenance items, a little annoying to do an oil change on but not bad.

I traded my LC Series 200 last summer due to AC issues that kept popping up, it was Emily's car and I wanted my new wife to have her own, and it was getting older. We looked at a lot of them and ended up getting a MB GLS 450 for less than Ford wanted for an Expedition. I really wanted a Lexus LX600 but not at $130K plus, they can keep it. I've been thoroughly impressed with the MB but doubt I'll own it past warranty. The ride is great and it really stays planted on the road with an exceptional ride. I wouldn't buy a Nissan (Infinity) based product. You can probably get a deal on a Lexus GX460 now, the GX550 is about to hit the lots and based on the new Land Cruiser Series 250 Prado. The Land Cruiser 250/Prado is due out in August as well but good luck in getting one any time soon for a reasonable price. A salesman at the local Toyota dealership said they were going to be $15-20K above MSRP and you can take it or leave it when they get one. If you follow any of the FB reviews from JD Power, Edmunds etc., they will tell you that the KIA and Hyundai are initially great but start to fall apart quickly, very problematic from the reviews.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

My wife has a 2WD 2020 Highlander limited. I only drive it on road trips to see the family but it's fine. The lane centering isn't quite as good as Ford but it has automatic braking in forward and reverse (low speed) and adaptive cruise that works in stop-and-go traffic. I really should have got her a truck but she loads the Highlander with bagged mulch, fertilizer and rocks all the time. It's got decent room with the third row folded down. The JBL sound system is better than just about anything in a mid-rung Ford. Toyota keeps trying to buy it back from us...what's up with that?
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Been driving Toyota LC's for 25 years. They don't make them so I went with Lexus last year. Much better truck. Better milage and bigger engine/hp. 460/570/600 take your pick. They are all bad ass.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

My wife is on her 4th QX80 and we are contemplating getting the new body style that comes out this summer. She has had a few Tahoes(2016 and 2021), an Escalade, Sequoia, and a Mercedes GLS. We like the size and features of the QX the best and we have never had any issues with them. If we do get the new one, we will be selling her 2022 with 10k miles in the next few months.