Thread: Round up ready corn

Default Round up ready corn

Anybody got a contact or a way to get some of the seed subsidy corn for food plots?

I tried to order with the NDA Florence chapter but the order wasn’t large enough so it got cancelled.

I’ve been trying to get some through NWTF for 3 weeks and hitting dead end after dead end.

I like to plant it in big blocks and leave it standing through hunting season. It’s worked well for me and I’ve killed 2 of my heaviest bucks in late season this way.

But it’s hard to spend $300 plus dollars per bag of seed plus fertilizer just to feed the deer

Any help?
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Could you have saved a few bags of the corn you planted last year for seed this year? As long as you don't try to sell it, is that legal with patented varieties? Are RR corn strains hybrid or will they reproduce viable and effective seeds?

I know this doesn't help this year but I figured I'd throw it out there and maybe solve your problem next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Could you have saved a few bags of the corn you planted last year for seed this year? As long as you don't try to sell it, is that legal with patented varieties? Are RR corn strains hybrid or will they reproduce viable and effective seeds?

I know this doesn't help this year but I figured I'd throw it out there and maybe solve your problem next year.
    I have thought about that and even thought about feed corn from tractor supply. I feel certain that those farmers are using RR corn.

Based off what I’ve read online it will grow but not produce ears. How accurate that is, I have no idea

We had to sign off for the beans and corn that we would be sure and tell all of you when you got either or that you could not use it for anything but wildlife. You are not to use it for any commercial reason. I dont recall anything about having to destroy it, if you didn't use it, as long as you used it for wildlife the following year. I will have to go dig up the form.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    We had to sign off for the beans and corn that we would be sure and tell all of you when you got either or that you could not use it for anything but wildlife. You are not to use it for any commercial reason. I dont recall anything about having to destroy it, if you didn't use it, as long as you used it for wildlife the following year. I will have to go dig up the form.
    Corn this year? I was told there wasn’t a big enough order to get corn through the Florence chapter

Try this out

https://hybrid85.com/
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Corn seed cost is minimal when you consider everything else that goes with it. Germination is so much better than 2 year old seed from last year.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by quack head 11 View Post
    Corn this year? I was told there wasn’t a big enough order to get corn through the Florence chapter
    There was not, but in order to even get the thing rolling we had to acknowledge, sign we would tell you all when you picked it up what I said. That was different this year. Normally they put it in the emails, and I think I read it once or twice in those, but I'm the Florence local. My self and the Columbia local had to acknowledge we would tell you all that it could only be used for wildlife purposes. No commercial ag.

I guess it was the economy, but we barely got enough orders to fill out 1 bean order. You have to have 400 bags to make a pallet. You can only order in numbers of 400. They have to be 400 of the corn, beans, sorghum. We can not mix and match. We had to put Florence and Columbia together to get 1 order this year with beans. Last year I had right at 1500 bags alone. Columbia had 700? I cant remember seems like we had 2100 between the 2 of us. We had to cut back on the actual order because the shipper did not want to haul that much weight or bulk. I dont recall, exactly how it went down. But we had to cut the order so I just ate that extra 100. The order was already in paid and all and going through when we found out they wouldn't ship it. We tried to get them to ship 2 trucks and they wouldn't do that. I had ordered 100 bags for those that found out about the program after the fact or needed a extra bag or 2, and just lost those instead of trying to refund people & had to go buy my beans at reg cost. Some folks were nice enough they donated a bag or 2 back to me. Actually made me believe in humanity. That actually worked out perfect for those needing a extra bag or so.

Everyone I spoke with had great germination rates. So it wasn't that.

As far as corn we couldn't make it last year either. We almost made the sorghum last year. I dont even think we had over 50 bags ordered this year? I can go back and look but seems like corn had 225 roughly between Columbia and Florence, this year. We would not have made the order this year except originally I bought up the remaining 90 bags to fill out the 400 bag order. Then QDMA or NDA what ever they are now gave the folks the option to convert the corn into beans. So that took the load off of me.

I hope we can get it rolling again like last year.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot