Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More Bullshit

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    3 tags with license annually. Buy up to 5/10 more at $X.00/ea. Steep fine for an untagged fish.
    Eff that.

Why on earth would you want to pay the government additional money for a right?
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    I’d be cool with a shutdown in certain areas for spawning redfish…

I’m not fully up to date with the offshore stuff but One of the big issues with reef fish is relatively high release mortality to account for. I will say the redfish stock is way down and you can still catch plenty, catch and population health are not mutually inclusive.

I fish out of Edisto, and they are as plentiful as they've ever been.
    If I cared about eating them, I'd be bitching about having to weed through a dozen over slot fish to find a keeper.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by b35w View Post
    I’ve heard mortality numbers as high as 70 or 80%. To me it makes absolutely zero sense if you acknowledge that number to have a zero fish limit. Your acknowledging that the fish are going to die anyway, so why in the world would you not allow anglers to keep one or two a day. I promise you they’re not stop fishing the area just because they can’t keep red snapper. It just means they’ve got apick through them. And I bet compliance with descending devices is very low.

Where I fish, the redfish population has never been more healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every hard bottom spot in 90-120 that I regularly stop at on the way in from trolling, or head straight to in the summer is loaded with very mature 15lb red snapper.
    Let's say that's 10 different GPS numbers spread over 30 miles. Then factor in the dozens of marks within 200 yards of that exact number that I bounce around to.
    If I anchor, stir up the bottom fish for 15 minutes and then send down a french grunt on a grouper rod, I get a quality red snapper every single drop for as long as I wanna do it.

That fishery is completely fine and needs to be fished.
    1 snapper per person per trip up to 4 per boat, any size.

They are legitimately waxing the blackfish.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Every hard bottom spot in 90-120 that I regularly stop at on the way in from trolling, or head straight to in the summer is loaded with very mature 15lb red snapper.
    Let's say that's 10 different GPS numbers spread over 30 miles. Then factor in the dozens of marks within 200 yards of that exact number that I bounce around to.
    If I anchor, stir up the bottom fish for 15 minutes and then send down a french grunt on a grouper rod, I get a quality red snapper every single drop for as long as I wanna do it.

That fishery is completely fine and needs to be fished.
    1 snapper per person per trip up to 4 per boat, any size.

They are legitimately waxing the blackfish.
    I legit have not caught a keeper BSB the last 2 times I’ve been out

For those saying they are as abundant as ever, where’s the data coming from? Going to a spot and catching some?
    Being able to smoke fish off A level habitat does not mean a healthy stock.

No use in posting (statewide) DNR surveys as I’m sure they’d be quickly dismissed despite having one of the better long term data sets in the region. There is no data showing specific factors causing it currently. Is harvest a driving factor in the decline, per data, no.
    is the sky falling and they are going extinct, no. Is it something to be aware of, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    For those saying they are as abundant as ever, where’s the data coming from? Going to a spot and catching some?
    Being able to smoke fish off A level habitat does not mean a healthy stock.

No use in posting (statewide) DNR surveys as I’m sure they’d be quickly dismissed despite having one of the better long term data sets in the region. There is no data showing specific factors causing it currently. Is harvest a driving factor in the decline, per data, no.
    is the sky falling and they are going extinct, no. Is it something to be aware of, yes.
    I go by what I have seen 1st hand and the infinite number of anglers (commercial and recreational) who say the same thing over and over at these meetings……the data doesn’t match what everyone else is seeing. One side is wrong and I guess people can make their own determination.

To have Florida and SC managed in the same region is absolutely absurd. 2 totally different fisheries. I could go on but honestly I’m over it now. Govt does what govt wants to do.

If y'all grouper fished 13/14 years ago recreationally, you will remember the VMS push. I think this will end up in a similar stance, mandatory reporting and VMS, they aren't giving up.

If rec closes, close commercial, end of story. If comm open, make rec open. There are few rec fisherman who could catch 300lb of grouper in a year. There are a lot who will individually catch 100lbs or so in a year.
    There are some who will catch 300lbs every few trips

Yes. There are rec guys who can, I get that but most don't.

There are commercials who can catch and do catch 300lb day in day out on single day trips.

Exactly right. This has nothing to do with fish populations or science or anything of that nature. This has everything to do with money, lobbying and a corrupt system that favors the commercial guys and is generally against recreational fishing.
    More Ducks, Less People

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Eff that.

Why on earth would you want to pay the government additional money for a right?
    Because at present you ain’t keeping what you catch without paying a penalty if caught. Your boat loaded up with gags, ARS, Golden Tiles or pinkies when you come in or is it legal fish? You pay for a license? That’s not a right, it’s a privilege if you do. Do you pay for duck stamps, deer tags etc, that’s not a right, it’s a licensed privilege. I’d buy tags if it meant I didn’t have to watch a fish I tried to release float up 75-100yds behind the boat and become shark food or feel that nice hard tug on the descending device that lets me know the shark got it before it had a chance to float up. It’s a viable solution but WTF do I know, I only caught about 100 (ARS) of them last year. The main point is there are better ways to manage our fisheries and NC/SC/Ga damn sure shouldn’t be lumped into FLA.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by scdiver View Post
    If y'all grouper fished 13/14 years ago recreationally, you will remember the VMS push. I think this will end up in a similar stance, mandatory reporting and VMS, they aren't giving up.

If rec closes, close commercial, end of story. If comm open, make rec open. There are few rec fisherman who could catch 300lb of grouper in a year. There are a lot who will individually catch 100lbs or so in a year.
    There are some who will catch 300lbs every few trips

Yes. There are rec guys who can, I get that but most don't.

There are commercials who can catch and do catch 300lb day in day out on single day trips.
    Yep
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013