Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sweatmans BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    With the possible exceptions of the places Nitro mentioned, Home Team is better than all the shit mentioned in this thread.
    They have their own credit department for us poors who can't pay cash.

Quote Originally Posted by acebasinman View Post
    HomeTeam is a gun free zone
    Lotta square-toed booters, eh?
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Lotta square-toed booters, eh?
    Hold up homie, whatchu got against square toed boots? You discriminating against us crackas with wide feet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    They have their own credit department for us poors who can't pay cash.
    "bidness lunches" bruh.....
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

I wish there was a good bbq place in Boone ... All we have is the Peddaling Pig, it sucks.

I miss cinder block buildings with buffets, I don't want new builds and menus when I'm getting bbq.

Hometeam isn't bad. The one here near the house is always so crowded that I rarely even consider it.

One novel thing they have that's really pretty damn good is a "BBQ wrap". It's pulled pork, mashed potatoes, corn and slaw rolled up in a flour tortilla. Not traditional but pretty handy when you need to grab something to eat while you're driving.

Hold up homie, whatchu got against square toed boots? You discriminating against us crackas with wide feet?
    White sunglasses and FL/GA line. And huge offsets on the truck. Or worse, Jeep.

I like you, tho. So there's that.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Sweatman’s $8 all you can eat buffet days died long ago. That being said they catered a grower meeting for me 3 weeks ago and everything was jam up, had 93 farmers and not a one complained.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Earl Dukes of Orangeburg is/was the real Dukes. All the rest of the Dukes are derivatives, whether they admit it or not.

I'm not sure if they still do it but there were some relatives that had a little dump of a location that they opened every Friday and Saturday evenings on Spruill Ave. in North Charleston, right across from Quarterman's Pond. It was the real deal... no frills, just good clean BBQ, rice and hash, cole slaw with white bread and tea on picnic tables with red and white checkerboard pattern plastic tablecloths. The building was so decrepit that most folks wouldn't risk going in. I haven't been in years but they may still be doing it.
    This right here! ^^^

The one in N Chas was run by the Ott's(daughter of Mr Earl) and then continued by their grandaughter, Lisa, until her health got the best of her. They closed down maybe a year and a half, two years back. Someone from my family was sitting at those same picnic tables every Saturday evening at 6 since they opened in up in the late 50's. I still swing by the one off of Chestnut after I leave the dove club and bring some back down to the Lowcountry. They still have a large sign on the front door stating "WE DO NOT SERVE CHICKEN". Makes me chuckle every time I walk in...

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    you best back the F up.

i was raised on sikes' hash. ergo, sikes' hash is the standard.

duckman should get his ass in gear and make another huge batch and I'll comment later...

This!!

You can't have great bbg and fine hash if you don't have a shit pumper packed out back!

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    This right here! ^^^

The one in N Chas was run by the Ott's(daughter of Mr Earl) and then continued by their grandaughter, Lisa, until her health got the best of her. They closed down maybe a year and a half, two years back. Someone from my family was sitting at those same picnic tables every Saturday evening at 6 since they opened in up in the late 50's. I still swing by the one off of Chestnut after I leave the dove club and bring some back down to the Lowcountry. They still have a large sign on the front door stating "WE DO NOT SERVE CHICKEN". Makes me chuckle every time I walk in...
    Dukes closed.jpg
    Dammit!

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    I wish there was a good bbq place in Boone ... All we have is the Peddaling Pig, it sucks.

I miss cinder block buildings with buffets, I don't want new builds and menus when I'm getting bbq.
    I used to go to one in Branchville (cinder block building) in the early 90's. It was incredible. I believe it was a "Dukes"

Is Woodlands still open in BR?? When I was in Boone 30+ years ago, it was a pretty solid place. We'd go there to eat and then go drink at the messican joint around the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    Sweatman’s $8 all you can eat buffet days died long ago. That being said they catered a grower meeting for me 3 weeks ago and everything was jam up, had 93 farmers and not a one complained.
    Bull. Shit. They might not have complained about the BBQ, but if there were 93 farmers in the same place, there was plenty of complaining. Hell I’d rather be locked in a room with 93 women. They’d bitch less I promise you

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    Is Woodlands still open in BR?? When I was in Boone 30+ years ago, it was a pretty solid place. We'd go there to eat and then go drink at the messican joint around the corner.
    No, it closed down a few years ago, and was purchased by the Peddalin Pig group (they have 3 bbq places, Boone, Banner Elk, Blowing Rock).

I might go to Blowing Rock twice a year, we're on the other side of town and I don't want to fight the Floridians for parking.

Home Team is ok. They do have a good jalapeno margarita. Lewis' is fine as well.

Henry's Smokehouse in Greenville is no frills, good bbq... at least it was the last time I was in there.

With the possible exceptions of the places Nitro mentioned, Home Team is better than all the shit mentioned in this thread.
    Yeah I’m going to disagree with you on that one. I don’t know a single person that goes to hometeam for the barbecue. It does taste bad or anything but there is absolutely zero flavor.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

No, it closed down a few years ago, and was purchased by the Peddalin Pig group (they have 3 bbq places, Boone, Banner Elk, Blowing Rock).

I might go to Blowing Rock twice a year, we're on the other side of town and I don't want to fight the Floridians for parking.
    Makes sense....we wouldn't have gone to BR either if Watauga County wasn't dry. They tried to pass "Liquor by the drink" twice while I was there.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    Yeah I’m going to disagree with you on that one. I don’t know a single person that goes to hometeam for the barbecue. It does taste bad or anything but there is absolutely zero flavor.
    As opposed to the mustard based mushy shit they serve at the rest of these places mentioned here? Agree to disagree. I'm honestly surprised that none of these dipshits have mentioned Jackie Hite's or Shealy's yet.....

Orangeburg County and barbecue have shared a long, delicious relationship going back 60 years.
    Canaan native Earl Dukes Sr. started his restaurant in Orangeburg in 1955 at Chestnut Street and Columbia Road near where Kentucky Fried Chicken operated a restaurant until recently. The Dukes Barbecue would later move to a small cafe on Whitman Street.
    From there, Dukes Sr. moved to Cameron in 1970. In order to distinguish his barbecue from other Dukes’ restaurants, it was named The Original Earl Dukes Barbecue.
    The restaurant moved back to Orangeburg in 1983 at the Charleston Highway location. The restaurant closed around 2002.
    Upon his retirement in 1984, Dukes’ son, Earl Dukes Jr., assumed ownership of the restaurant.
    From its origins in Orangeburg, Dukes’ Barbecue spread across the city and throughout the state as family members and others saw the success of the Dukes name.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “You must teach your children that the ground beneath their feet is the ashes of your grandfathers. So that they will respect the land, tell your children that the earth is rich with the lives of our kin. Teach your children what we have taught our children, that the earth is our mother. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the sons of the earth. If men spit upon the ground, they spit upon themselves.”

~Chief Seattle ~