View Poll Results: Will you show restraint...

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'll delay my season and will only attempt to fill two tags

9 15.52%
  • I'll start when the season starts but will only attempt to fill two tags

17 29.31%
  • I'll delay my season but will attempt to fill all 3 tags

1 1.72%
  • I'm starting when the season comes in and will attempt to fill all 3 tags

31 53.45%
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Question On Restraint...

This picture says a lot.

The land used to be a 100ac field with hardwoods and bottoms. But there is only one left that still haunts his old grounds. Hearing him gobble in an adjacent field during an early pour this morning was pretty cool.

1A9F6AF6-D7C3-47AE-AC9A-8C6FA4A3ACA8.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    You missed my point, I do not agree with a March opener anywhere in the state! It needs to be after hens start laying and have already bred anywhere in the state of South Carolina.
    10/4, wasn't trying to put words in your mouth, but I know a lot of people in the LC that are still bitching about their 3/15 opener going away. Didn't mean to lump you in
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

As we speak this am. They must want to go fishing.

Last week the gobbler was at my neighbors.
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 03-21-2024 at 07:58 AM.

I don't know the statistics, but I'd imagine the average days in the field has gone up tremendously for a lot of hunters. A lot more people these days have "flexible work schedules" that allow them to hunt on a random Tuesday. 50 years ago most guys were stuck at the factory or in a field somewhere. The thought of getting off early or "working from home" wasn't a reality. That has to have an impact on the resource.
    Last edited by Remy; 03-21-2024 at 07:58 AM.

The March 20th statewide start date that went into effect in 2016 was done because upstate legislators were not going to sign off on the bill unless the whole state started at the same time. If you remember the bill also dropped the bag limit from 5 to 3 which needed to be done. So to make sure the bag limit would be dropped the LC legislators had to agree. Upstate legislators were getting a lot of heat from their constituents to make sure it happened. For years upstate hunters complained about the LC season saying it was “unfair”. If you remember we went from 5 game zones to 4 as well. I’m not saying it was right but that is why it happened.

Which is another reason that the damn politicians shouldnt make game laws.....
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Which is another reason that the damn politicians shouldnt make game laws.....
    We could just ask the politicians to give up some of their power.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

We're waaay past asking.....

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    so does catdaddy get government money for creating such good habitat?
    does his dog get funds for controlling the mole population?
    can we quit saying the same thing over and over until we believe it?

land is key
    people are the problem.

repeat after me.
    land is key
    people suck
    I know of one large property in Berkeley county that doesn't allow turkey hunting (deer only). Use to see flocks of birds in the roads but they have about disappeared off it. No hunters involved.

Can we all just hate Michael Waddell and Philip Culpepper together. They truly are a problem, maybe not in their mind but they are.
    Shooting a gobbler from a golf cart with the strutter decoy on the hood is pretty low.
    Last edited by BRR; 03-21-2024 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by M2Field View Post
    I know of one large property in Berkeley county that doesn't allow turkey hunting (deer only). Use to see flocks of birds in the roads but they have about disappeared off it. No hunters involved.
    what does this prove?

you tell that story in front of a club member and he will most certainly shoot back with "my neighbor is corning turkeys."

i'm tired of anecdotal evidence and people continuing to state the same "fact" over and over that is not proven to mean anything.
    male turkeys decoys are the problem
    if you dont trap predators, you cant have a turkey
    sub divisions have ruined turkeys.
    etc
    etc
    etc

i dont know why we keep doing this. none of that shit will change. PEOPLE ARE THE PROBLEM. manage the people. lower the limit. change the dates, THEN you can sit around and talk about the WHY.

around and around we go....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by BRR View Post
    Can we all just hate Michael Waddell and Philip Culpepper together. They truly are a problem, maybe not in their mind but they are.
    Shooting a gobbler from a golf cart with the strutter decoy on the hood is pretty low.
    saying that turkey is more or less dead than shot with an arrow made of flint is pretty low, too....

PEOPLE ARE THE PROBLEM. manage the people. lower the limit. change the dates, THEN you can sit around and talk about the WHY.

around and around we go....
    except…
    Those suggestions have already been put to the test?
    hence this conversation…

Lets see some successes of whats in place before removing more hunter opportunities!

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor

saying that turkey is more or less dead than shot with an arrow made of flint is pretty low, too....
    People are the problem in every aspect, you absolutely nailed it. My point is people like the two aforementioned, are giving people more bad ideas.

A limit of 1 turkey can be way too much if there are 30 people hunting the property. What about the dumbass that takes every friend or kid in the neighborhood after he gets his? Male turkey decoys facilitate this ongoing slaughter. Limits don't matter when you can pull another person up to the decoy......
    Last edited by BRR; 03-21-2024 at 11:18 AM.

i understand both of you

calibogue is gonna keep hitting on early breeding. I agree its part of the puzzle. while I can hate the .gov and my fair share of taxes, we have to make laws if we want to continue to have this sport. so, i kinda quit worrying about every aspect that factors in and go straight for the fix, which is changing the season dates and limits (which has NOT been done like this before).

i understand both of you

calibogue is gonna keep hitting on early breeding. I agree its part of the puzzle. while I can hate the .gov and my fair share of taxes, we have to make laws if we want to continue to have this sport. so, i kinda quit worrying about every aspect that factors in and go straight for the fix, which is changing the season dates and limits (which has NOT been done like this before).
    You're correct, nothing has been done as suggested by the biologist. Every time changes are made it gets old dicked up by politicians and it appears that is going to happen again. If for one time they could do exactly as the biologist recommend and as the bill is written.
    So, Maybe if they did that and it did not go as planned or suggested then people would have a reason to start screaming foul!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

i understand both of you

So what you are saying is if we start late enough it won't matter? Decoys or handgrenades turkeys won't be as effected?

Quote Originally Posted by BRR View Post
    So what you are saying is if we start late enough it won't matter? Decoys or handgrenades turkeys won't be as effected?
    For many years now 60% of the total State Harvest has been before April 10th. How many hens you reckon are not getting bred?
    Any start date prior to April 10th, it logically stands to reason we are negatively impacting recruitment. I don't know exactly how many are not getting bred, but it's certainly significant.
    Last edited by Calibogue; 03-21-2024 at 11:54 AM.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

If this thread has shown anything its that there will never be a consensus among hunters on what, when, where, how or for how long. And as a result you'll never get a consensus from politicians, that know nothing of wildlife biology, when they try and do the re-electable thing (not the RIGHT thing). So what you wind up with is a garbage bag soup of regulations designed to give everyone involved in the decision making, from the biologist to the politicos, plausible deniability.

ETA; I've said it on here before and was 3/4 of the way joking but the more I read on the subject the more I believe hunting turkeys when they are their most vulnerable is pretty dumb. A two bird limit, male only, fall season is looking more and more like the right thing to do.
    Last edited by Glenn; 03-21-2024 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    For many years now 60% of the total State Harvest has been before April 10th. How many hens you reckon are not getting bred?
    Any start date prior to April 10th, it logically stands to reason we are negatively impacting recruitment. I don't know exactly how many are not getting bred, but it's certainly significant.
    I don't disagree with this one bit.