View Poll Results: Will you show restraint...

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'll delay my season and will only attempt to fill two tags

9 15.52%
  • I'll start when the season starts but will only attempt to fill two tags

17 29.31%
  • I'll delay my season but will attempt to fill all 3 tags

1 1.72%
  • I'm starting when the season comes in and will attempt to fill all 3 tags

31 53.45%
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Question On Restraint...

Quote Originally Posted by Quack07 View Post
    You really think all they can do is "regulate"? There are many other state agencies that do far more for game populations AND hunting opportunity than SCDNR. Put the country on a dart board, give it a throw and your odds of hitting one of these states are pretty good. Other states provide habitat, and not just in Cat1 management areas that you can only reap the benefits twice a decade if you are lucky.
    What do you want them to do for turkeys specifically?
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by Quack07 View Post
    You really think all they can do is "regulate"? There are many other state agencies that do far more for game populations AND hunting opportunity than SCDNR. Put the country on a dart board, give it a throw and your odds of hitting one of these states are pretty good. Other states provide habitat, and not just in Cat1 management areas that you can only reap the benefits twice a decade if you are lucky.
    What are other state game and fish agencies doing to help turkeys?
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

I'm still restraining.

I hunt a good many different tracts all over and don't have tabs on all of them. Don't deer hunt them to see fall flocks and populations. No trail cams to give me any idea either. Most don't open until April 1, some private, some public. I am contemplating not hunting turkeys where I killed one the previous year. Several spots had multiple birds in earshot, some only had one that I heard and killed. I can't control what other people do on public in terms of wiping birds out, but I can control what I do.

That all sounds well and good, but I have been met with silence scouting/listening more mornings than not in the last few weeks. Could be conditions, could be hard times. Makes not going back to a reliable honey hole hard, especially when I pay money to hunt there.

I understand the theory behind moving the season so hens get bred (and I'm all for it if it is true), but is there any science supporting huge numbers of them not initiating nests because of this? All the turkey science podcasts talk about hens storing sperm for 30 days and 60% of broods sired by multiple gobblers. That makes me think hens not getting bred would not be the issue. All the science points to the 60% of nest loss to being the driving factor in populations, not lack of hens being bred, from my understanding.

I'll admit a lot of my thinking is biased because I don't want to lose a tag that we likely won't ever get back. Per SC DNR's data, only a tiny percentage of turkey hunters kill their limit (2%). Limiting the small 2% to 2 turkeys vs. 3 will not do a thing to help turkey populations. Cutting tags is a feel-good measure so DNR/the legislature can put on the face of trying to help turkeys when there are much simpler measures that could be taken to limit the number of gobblers killed (if that is the true goal).

you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I'm still restraining.
    Me too.

And she's back again. I think she must be nesting close by.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

The bill passed third reading today with no amendments and now goes to the senate for subcommittee hearing
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Goodbye to ever getting more than 2 gobblers per Spring in SC.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Last few days to ever kill a turkey in March in SC
    Last edited by M2Field; 03-27-2024 at 12:26 PM.

2 is plenty
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

March 15 & 5

Quote Originally Posted by M2Field View Post
    Last few days to ever kill a turkey in March in SC
    How many have you killed and not tagged this March? Since it’s the last one and all.
    Last edited by Whackumstackum; 03-27-2024 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    How many have you killed and not tagged this March? Since it’s the last one and all.
    When I saw you had responded I knew it was gonna be some trash. I saw you on a bus in Orlando one time. We sat close to eachother. I was with my wife and kids at Disney as I believe you were too. There was a reason I didn’t say hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    That question could be asked of quite a few on this site and countless more across this state. I’m not just counting this year either.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

Quote Originally Posted by M2Field View Post
    When I saw you had responded I knew it was gonna be some trash. I saw you on a bus in Orlando one time. We sat close to eachother. I was with my wife and kids at Disney as I believe you were too. There was a reason I didn’t say hi.
    There was a reason I didn’t say anything either, I have zero use for folks like you and have enough respect for my wife and child not to engage pieces of shit while out in public.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua2 View Post
    That question could be asked of quite a few on this site and countless more across this state. I’m not just counting this year either.
    Preach. A lot of Virtue signaling goes on when the reality of how they act is a complete 180…..

Well this escalated quickly
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Well then. Maybe y’all could have ridden Space Mountain together and aired your grievances

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turkeys bring out the best in folks
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    Turkeys bring out the best in folks
    That is a fact.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."