View Poll Results: Will you show restraint...

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'll delay my season and will only attempt to fill two tags

9 15.52%
  • I'll start when the season starts but will only attempt to fill two tags

17 29.31%
  • I'll delay my season but will attempt to fill all 3 tags

1 1.72%
  • I'm starting when the season comes in and will attempt to fill all 3 tags

31 53.45%
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question On Restraint...

Default Question On Restraint...

So we've read the research, listened to the podcast, emailed reps, lobbied in person and the over all consensus is that a later start date and a reduction in limit to 2 birds is a good place to start. Obviously none of that is going into effect this season or perhaps even next season. So it begs the question; if you are in favor of later start dates and a reduced limit will you A) start hunting your private tracts later and B) limit yourself to filling only two tags? Or will you C) kill all you can while you can despite your agreeing with the later start date and reduced limit?

I think "discretion" is the word you're looking for
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

I didn't pull the trigger even on chip shot opportunities the last two years. Not sure if I'll shoot one this year but I won't shoot two.

You left out the option for shooting 3 birds plus the kids tags and the dumb buddy who can't get it done on his own.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Default Queston On Restraint...

I sell 10’ poles every day if anybody needs one.
    Last edited by Simple Man; 03-18-2024 at 01:25 PM.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
    I sell 10’ poles every day if anybody needs one.
    Skeert say skeert.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

I think turkeys are stupid. It's not even fair chase. it doesn't test my intellectual acumen or sportsmanship.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    You left out the option for shooting 3 birds plus the kids tags and the dumb buddy who can't get it done on his own.
    I left out the turkey tour option too. Figured to keep it to SC and not muddy the waters too bad.

And I honestly want to know. IF WE, collective we, believe the lower limit and later dates/shorter season are the right thing to do, will WE, again collective we, wait to be told or will we go ahead and self impose those limits? This isn't a gotcha question/poll.

And if you are in favor or later dates/shorter season and reduced limit and choose to start when DNR says start and fill all 3 tags, what's your rationale behind that decision?

Common sense has told me what I need to do for the places I hunt over the years in regards to harvest limits. We've self regulated ourselves on our properties and it looks to be helping. I have no problem taking only 2 birds, having more being the end result matters more to me. I want to see numbers like we had 20 years ago again, I want multiple turkeys to hunt and enjoy.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

Same as Ricky. Have been "self-regulating" for a while, and it seems to have helped.
    Last edited by MC; 03-18-2024 at 10:36 AM.

"They didnt save any buffalo for me" option please
    cut\'em

I will get out when I can, and will attempt to locate more than the one Tom I've seen around. If he's the only one, I'll pass just like I have the last few years. This is only the second year in the past 10 or so that I've been seeing a moderate number of birds around, so will regulate myself as is appropriate.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

not listen to the morons.

Seemingly everything they’ve done thus far has been unsuccessful.
    Tried reduced days afield and reduced limits.

- yeah, sure they got it figured out this time…

control yourselves, because those setting the laws are failures at their positions.

sounds smart.

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor

#TurbosUncle

Quote Originally Posted by ccleroy View Post
    Common sense has told me what I need to do for the places I hunt over the years in regards to harvest limits. We've self regulated ourselves on our properties and it looks to be helping. I have no problem taking only 2 birds, having more being the end result matters more to me. I want to see numbers like we had 20 years ago again, I want multiple turkeys to hunt and enjoy.
    This.

I think knowing what you have, where you have them, and what each tract can handle is important. I've seen negative effects on my club because of what is, in my opinion, overharvest. Unfortunately I cannot control that, but I can control what my kids and I do on other leases. I intend to watch them shoot more than I shoot this year for sure.

I don't think I've answered your question, and the honest answer is I will continue to abide by the current guidelines without changing my hunting practices until the regs change. I do support what the Biologists are suggesting. I'm thankful to not be in a part of the state where populations really are struggling.

i will kill 3 so i can post them online and people know im the shit #trumpettalker. then will help friends kill theirs for the "experience". then will travel around and kill a few more because im all about supporting turkey conservation in every state.

can't wait to light a torch and buy a turkey stamp to help support the wild turkey!
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

My son and I will hunt together. If given the opportunity we'll kill one, maybe two combined and call it good.

I will not pull the trigger on more than 2 but hope to beside a tree calling in a bird or 3 for others through out this season. It is the pursuit of getting one to come to me and within range that gets me stirred up inside still. Pulling the trigger ends that too soon.

I have not hunted the farm for the past three years in a row until approx. April 10.

Even Lovett Williams (decades ago) said March 15 in the southeast was too early to be killing our gobblers and data has proven that to be so as of late.

I don't think everywhere needs a bag reduction from 3 to 2 birds but everywhere does need a later start date.

Like Ricky said, self regulation goes a long ways but you can't control what your asshat neighbor who kills 6 birds off his 100-300 acres does and what you don't know, well, you don't know!
    That said, by all assumption I will likely kill my last SC March gobbler in the coming days and I'll possibly kill my last 3 bird bag limit.

But, my conservation efforts will continue and habitat will improve at OGP and other smaller properties.
    Killing 60% of the statewide harvest before they ever get the opportunity to breed is no good and I truly believe the later start date will point us in the right direction to see 90's population numbers again in areas that can support it.

I am afraid a lot of people will call foul when they don't see improvements but if they don't, I suspect it's habitat related in which case is beyond the control of SCDNR.

There is an interesting bill being brought to the House relating to habitat mgt.....I'm interested in seeing where it goes.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE