Thread: Boat trailer title

Default Boat trailer title

Had a boat and trailer that I sent out to my brother in Texas. They are a trailer title state but I never had a title for the trailer as it wasn’t required by the state of SC because of the size. How would one go about getting a trailer tile for said trailer?

I think you send him a Bill Of Sale stating the trailer is not required to be titled in the state of origin. Then he takes that and all other documentation to their DMV/Tax offices. Get BOS notarized though. Guy that bought my Pioneer 222SF had to do something like that for Illinois.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

You need the MSO. Manufacturers state of origin if it’s never been titled. Dealer should have given it to you at time of purchase.

There is no MSO, I was a second owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

Quote Originally Posted by Smilee View Post
    You need the MSO. Manufacturers state of origin if it’s never been titled. Dealer should have given it to you at time of purchase.
    MSO was what I was thinking, BOS was also required by my buyer on the Pioneer. I ended up having to draft a separate BOS for him for the trailer.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Give him a notarized bill of sale and he takes it into his DMV and he just states it came from a non-title state
    Have the VIN # on teh bill of sale, etc
    This will work 75% of the time

Call manufacturer they might can assist in reissuing

I just went through this in NC with my boat that was purchased in the fall. It was a pain in the ass. I don't know Texas' rules, but here I had to go to the DMV to get a checklist so I could figure out what was needed. My trailer did not have VIN as it is too old, so I had to take it to the law enforcement inspectors of our License and Theft Bureau after receiving an NCX #. I then had to get an insurance bond through my insurance company for a percentage value of the trailer. They had me sign an affidavit saying it wasn't stolen, had me permanently affix the NCX number to the frame of the trailer in two places (I engraved it with a Dremel) and bring it back for an inspection. I then went back to the Tax and Tag office of the DMV to pay the tax and title fees so that I could get the plate. It took me taking half days off of work on 3 separate occasions to get it done because I essentially had to create a new paper trail of documents since it was lacking all of them. I will never buy another boat in NC without first asking if they have the proper paperwork for the trailer. Do what you can to get as much info from any sources first because it was a real headache.