Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Highstrung...

The SC allotments are stupid AF. I have buddies in GA and NC that can go buy Weller off the shelf at their local stores pretty much any time they want it.

I was wrapped up in the bourbon craze for a while, but I got tired of chasing it when there are plenty of good bourbons that you can buy off the shelf anywhere.

Most of the self proclaimed "bourbon snobs" I know can't tell you the difference between Blanton's and Jim Beam any damn way......
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

What's the difference between a moderately-priced brown liquor and an expensive brown liquor?
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    What's the difference between a moderately-priced brown liquor and an expensive brown liquor?
    The price.

True and false.. bourbon, not much. Bourbon is bourbon, there are decent bourbons in the lower range. When you say "brown liquor" that might fit into a few categories.. You've got Canadian blends in there, they basically taste like nothing and that's why people drink them. Then you've got scotch. You're not finding a decent single cheap single malt. They're just not cheap, and then there are so many profiles between them. Now if you're a blended scotch drinker that's different.

Quote Originally Posted by SCmudder7071 View Post
    Last few bottles I've purchased have been in NC and it was $64.95.
    Of What? Old Soul?
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    True and false.. bourbon, not much. Bourbon is bourbon, there are decent bourbons in the lower range.
    Exactly. I've found an obscenely low priced bourbon that I've been buying a lot of. It's damn good and on the shelves in just about every liquor store in the state.

I filled up an empty bottle of Blanton's with it a while back and not a damn soul that's had a drink out of that bottle knew the difference. It's been a hilarious experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Of What? Old Soul?
    are you drunk again?

So, I never really drank burbon until I lived in Indiana. Everybody gave us burbon for house-warming gifts. Everybody up there was into burbon. I started drinking it neat or on the rocks. I liked Woodford the best. I know Woodford when I drink it, and I haven’t had anything I like as much. If I were mixing it, I probably could not tell the difference in any of it.

Scotch…I prefer Dewars over every 100+ dollar bottle I’ve ever tried.

The simple answer to the difference in high dollar burbon and a cheaper burbon…for the most part…is exclusivity if I’m not mistaken. I’m sure there are other variables, but the number of bottles for purchase combined with decently smart marketing…thus decent demand…causes price to go up. I’ve had some folks who’ve had their share of Pappy tell me that the disappointment when they first tried it was significant.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    I'm sure some bourbon cost more to make and the longer is sits in the barrel the longer they have to wait for it to pay for its production cost. But it's mostly supply and demand. The more popular a brand is with the Kool Kids Klub the more demand. So they make less making it "rare" and then higher the price follows.

Most are pouring diet coke over it anyway. They just like their friends to see they have it on the shelf or in their possession. #LikkerFlex
    Last edited by Glenn; 03-18-2024 at 03:34 PM.

wwd--have you tried the double oaked woodford?
    if not, do so and dont blame me. its more $$ but its good.

i also like the double char bib and tucker.

and yes, cost often reflects supply and demand.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

You, Bolt, maybe 2th, and crowd drank one of my last bottles of 23 year Pappy after some moonshine around a burn barrel. I think that bottle only cost me about 200 bucks then, the 15 year was 70ish. I couldn't get into it, never was my style. I had some nerd that bugged me until I tasted the 20 year in front of him, and I still told him I didn't like it. The 15 year is what all of my friends have liked over the years, this year my 15s came in at 170ish a bottle.. so it hasn't jumped up that much, just the secondary market.

Now, after not having a drink in ten years, I can still close my eyes and go though at least a dozen single malts and their profiles.. I can look at my scotch wall and taste and smell that Balvenie 14 year caribbean without opening the bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    are you drunk again?
    I don't even drink the shit dickhead. I collect it.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    I don't even drink the shit dickhead. I collect it.
    BWWWWWAAAAAA

FWIW - don’t ever bring up David Trone in conversation with Hiighstrung. His animation is entertaining for about 15 seconds before you realize you done fucked up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    wwd--have you tried the double oaked woodford?
    if not, do so and dont blame me. its more $$ but its good.

i also like the double char bib and tucker.

and yes, cost often reflects supply and demand.
    The Double Oak was way too oaky to me. It was like chewing on a piece of oak bark. I gave the rest away to a buddy. I guess everyone's taste is different.

that's what the ginger ale is for....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    You, Bolt, maybe 2th, and crowd drank one of my last bottles of 23 year Pappy after some moonshine around a burn barrel. I think that bottle only cost me about 200 bucks then, the 15 year was 70ish. I couldn't get into it, never was my style. I had some nerd that bugged me until I tasted the 20 year in front of him, and I still told him I didn't like it. The 15 year is what all of my friends have liked over the years, this year my 15s came in at 170ish a bottle.. so it hasn't jumped up that much, just the secondary market.
    dont use that "m" word around me. pretty sure I "remember" the beginning of that day.
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Diet Ginger Ale
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.