Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When y’all plantin?

Default When y’all plantin?

When and what y’all plantin?
    A fish bites 2 times a day, right before I get to the water, and as soon as my boat gets back on the trailer.

I’m hoping I get to bush hog next week.
    Corn
    Sun flowers
    Millet
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Way too wet for me at the moment. Might be end of the month if the rain settles down. If not, who knows. Hope to plant no till through the cover crop.

April. 35 acres of sunflowers.

Not sure why I'm going to volunteer for the disappointment again but I'm planning to do corn and sunflowers again in my dove field. I already ordered and received the sunflower seeds that Avery1213 recommended last year...short fat stalks and huge heads. I've got my dove field disced once and plan it hit it a couple times with the Perfecta before I plant the corn in mid April and the sunflowers in mid May, depending on the weather. It's still pretty wet here too.

I feel like I made some good progress on my herbicide regimen last year. My sunflowers were as cleans as I've ever had them. I still fought Morning Glory in the corn but it still made good ears. Thank Goodness I don't have to make a profit on the stuff I plant!

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Not sure why I'm going to volunteer for the disappointment again but I'm planning to do corn and sunflowers again in my dove field. I already ordered and received the sunflower seeds that Avery1213 recommended last year...short fat stalks and huge heads. I've got my dove field disced once and plan it hit it a couple times with the Perfecta before I plant the corn in mid April and the sunflowers in mid May, depending on the weather. It's still pretty wet here too.

I feel like I made some good progress on my herbicide regimen last year. My sunflowers were as cleans as I've ever had them. I still fought Morning Glory in the corn but it still made good ears. Thank Goodness I don't have to make a profit on the stuff I plant!
    Do you have a link to the seeds you're referring to? My sunflowers do pretty good but I'd like to try fewer plants with bigger heads this year.

Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

I’m still new to the dove field prep world so I’m gonna ask a dumb question. How do yall prep your field? I was eaten up with grass last year. Also, do you prep any differently for your sunflowers. Gonna try an acre or two of sunflowers this year with about 3 acres of millet and sorghum. It’s only 5 acres but has been a productive field prior to me getting it. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post

Halex GT or a strategically timed Callisto application will knock out those morning glories!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by scoutlover View Post
    Do you have a link to the seeds you're referring to? My sunflowers do pretty good but I'd like to try fewer plants with bigger heads this year.
    https://www.eagleseed.com/specialty.html

Quote Originally Posted by UPSTATEWATERFOWLER View Post
    I’m still new to the dove field prep world so I’m gonna ask a dumb question. How do yall prep your field? I was eaten up with grass last year. Also, do you prep any differently for your sunflowers. Gonna try an acre or two of sunflowers this year with about 3 acres of millet and sorghum. It’s only 5 acres but has been a productive field prior to me getting it. Thanks
    Dual Magnum and Spartan Charge pre-emergent and Beyond post emergent on Clearfield (herbicide tolerant) sunflowers. Those are brand names. Generic equivalents can be used for cost savings. I plant mine with the same planter spacing as corn but I could/should probably add more space for the flowers. I have zero confidence in sorghum for drawing doves in my area and minimal luck with millet except for a few early season birds. Corn has been the savior especially for the 2nd and 3rd splits.

There are other folks on here that have much, much more experience than I do.
    Last edited by Palmetto Bug; 03-26-2024 at 07:21 AM.

I use Prowl and Metolachlor pre emergent but only apply to absolutely clean dirt (multiple times disced)

Then on the corn glyphosate obviously and I ave been lucky to not need anything else on my sunflowers in the past
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Picked up my bag of Clearfield #3 seed yesterday. Did my burn down last week and will be turning soil in 2 weeks. Plan to plant and put down my pre emergent about mid April.
    E T

Saturday

Same here.

Turned out pretty decent stand of sunflowers last year but we still learning

Planting question, one of hunting partners bought a Tar River grain drill. I assume we ok to plant with this thing (last fall first time he used it )

Our field has been plowed and sprayed last week. Looking to plant right after tax season ends , I assume this is ok ?

We planted wheat in the fall. It looks awesome. Guess that’s what we’re trying this year.

Flowers and Corn over the weekend just in time for the rains yesterday.

temp_image_for_default_share.jpeg
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

I'm about to save you a ton of money.

Let your field grow up. Don't do squat to it all summer. Just let it grow. Around 15 August broadcast about 50lb/acre of a food plot seed blend, (no corn cracked whole or otherwise), into the standing weed field. Bushhog strips, about two to 4 tractor passes a week depending on field size. On 1 September, shoot doves. On 7 September, shoot more doves. On 15 September go bow hunt deer somewhere because they taste better and have more meat.
    Last edited by Glenn; 04-22-2024 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ersepton View Post
    We planted wheat in the fall. It looks awesome. Guess that’s what we’re trying this year.
    See above...

I planted corn and flowers Thursday and Friday expecting rain on Sunday. We didnt get a drop. 14 day forecast not lookin good either. It was dry. Hopefully it will come up.

I planted corn Saturday and got lucky with a little bit of rain yesterday. I'll wait until mid May to plant flowers.

I learned last year that sunflowers can tolerate sitting in hot dry dust for a few weeks before they get rain. I had given up hope on my first planting and replanted. When it finally rained, everything came up and the rows were all confused and crisscrossed.