Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bumper Pull Campers and hitch set ups….

Looks like you are getting the same variation of answers on here as the FB groups... I didn't expect any less

Dealer is offering the equalizer E2 or E4 suggesting the E4.

Truck is a 250 tremor. Window sticker mentions trailer sway control on standard features. No extra package and a 10,300 GVWR. Door sticker around 3100lbs payload.

Dumb question along with so many I’ve already asked, wouldn’t air bags work against WDH hitch?

Quote Originally Posted by DJ1 View Post
    Wdhigh--I wanted to tow the camper to my comfort level. As seen here in this thread and all over the internet, everyone has their own comfort level when towing. For me, it took the pro-pride, not happy about it, but I'm comfortable with it. Only you will be able to determine your comfort level. I agree your truck will handle the weight, and if it is too soft, you can get airbags or the RAS as mentioned above. It is the sense of sway in my butt-o-meter that made me buy the pro-pride.

I think I noticed you posted in a thread that you are a clay shooter.... If you want to start out with a hitch, my offer to you is..Let's meet up, you pay for a round of clays somewhere between Rock Hill and where ever you live, and you leave with a blue.ox hitch...

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
    Appreciate the offer. I’m no shooter, I just pay for one that does. I wish I could afford to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by wdhigh View Post

Truck is a 250 tremor. Window sticker mentions trailer sway control on standard features. No extra package and a 10,300 GVWR. Door sticker around 3100lbs payload.

Dumb question along with so many I’ve already asked, wouldn’t air bags work against WDH hitch?
    Those hitches suck! That’s what I have and hate it. You are better off just using a standard trailer hitch with a 250 than use that. Weight distribution isn’t a big deal for me but it still needs sway help even with the sway control on the truck. I have been looking hard at the bulletproof hitch with the sway control, not the weight distribution hitch.
    For the ducks

No, they help support the load on the rear of the truck. My F150 with the heavy duty tow package still squats when I put anything with weight behind it, weight distribution hitch or not. I use the airbags to level the truck back out and it helps tremendously with the ride quality, especially when you hit a hump on the road. I usually run my bags around 27-29 psi with my camper in tow.

I disagree with one statement someone mentioned about campers being built to be heavier on the ass end. My camper is heavy on the front and I have a bunk house with a slide on the rear. My master bedroom is up front, my trailer is 38ft long and my axels are set further towards the back than the front. Plus add the weight of everything in the front storage compartment.

Quote Originally Posted by SCHUNTINFANATIC View Post
    I disagree with one statement someone mentioned about campers being built to be heavier on the ass end. My camper is heavy on the front and I have a bunk house with a slide on the rear. My master bedroom is up front, my trailer is 38ft long and my axels are set further towards the back than the front. Plus add the weight of everything in the front storage compartment.
    That's why I said empty. Once loaded with everything we put under our bed, front compartment loaded, and half a tank of fresh water, tongue weight is perfect. I didn't like pulling our big bumper pull before we got it home and put all our stuff in it. We are bathroom at the rear on one side, bunks on the other, with kitchen/dinette/couch in the middle with kitchen just forward of the axles.
    For the ducks

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin' Labs View Post
    Looks like you are getting the same variation of answers on here as the FB groups... I didn't expect any less
    I actually expected the “stop being a pussy and drag it home with a standard hitch” responses. The fact that the brain trust here knows so much about them is making me feel I need to really do my research.

Default Bumper Pull Campers and hitch set ups….

I have a 30’’ and pull it with my 2500 suburban. This is the hitch that came with the camper when I bought it. Haven’t ever had any swaying issues or ever even felt any kind of swaying. Seems to ride great with it. Been up and down 26 to the coast from Greenville. Main thing is to have it setup properly from the get go. IMG_0295.jpg
    Last edited by killzone; 03-15-2024 at 10:09 PM.

2nd endorsement for blue ox sway pro. I pulled a 31 ft with a 150 for a few years with the shitty hitch from dealer. My wife was scared to death. A box truck will put you in the ditch.

I researched and settled on the sway pro. It calmed the trailer down significantly. The truck was still the issue. The springs on a 150 are soft.

In 2019 I upgraded to a 250 and now I can’t even tell the camper is back there.

And it’s quiet! We had some friends who bought a new camper that the dealer threw in an equalizer. It works on friction. It snapped and popped and rubbed. It’s was loud as hell. They took a picture of mine and took it back to the dealer and made them switch it out. They’ve been happy ever since with their sway pro.

Incidentally, I found mine on FB marketplace for less than half retail.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

I actually expected the “stop being a pussy and drag it home with a standard hitch” responses. The fact that the brain trust here knows so much about them is making me feel I need to really do my research.

Well I thought I’d give an update since you all were so kind as to respond. I allowed the dealer to put on a 12k equalizer E4. Left the dealer and headed towards Florence with no isssues. The ride on I95 from Florence to I26 home was an eye opener however!

I am not surprised, had super low expectations and they apparently weren’t low enough. Lucky for them I ran out of time up there and couldn’t take it back to be adjusted.

If this is what pulling one of these is like, I’m about to be done. Even Full size trucks passing in the left lane pushed and pulled me all over to the point I was questioning what I was doing. When tractor trailers came by the poor truck was telling me to pull over because the driver was sleepy,lol.

Fun times ahead. Send prayers!

Either your nuts haven’t dropped yet or it’s definitely setup wrong. I run 70-75mph on the interstate with no problems. It can get a little sway when the big rigs go by but nothing like you have described.

online reviews and customer service

and go to sleep
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Definitely not adjusted right

I don't have a camper or a WD hitch so I can't help you there.

I just came in here to say that you people that are pulling 30' campers with half ton trucks should be committed......
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    I don't have a camper or a WD hitch so I can't help you there.

I just came in here to say that you people that are pulling 30' campers with half ton trucks should be committed......
    Why? It ain’t about the length bo, it’s the weight.

Well I thought I’d give an update since you all were so kind as to respond. I allowed the dealer to put on a 12k equalizer E4. Left the dealer and headed towards Florence with no isssues. The ride on I95 from Florence to I26 home was an eye opener however!

I am not surprised, had super low expectations and they apparently weren’t low enough. Lucky for them I ran out of time up there and couldn’t take it back to be adjusted.

If this is what pulling one of these is like, I’m about to be done. Even Full size trucks passing in the left lane pushed and pulled me all over to the point I was questioning what I was doing. When tractor trailers came by the poor truck was telling me to pull over because the driver was sleepy,lol.

Fun times ahead. Send prayers!
    They never come setup right from the dealer. Park on level ground, adjust the crap out of it. I out Bilstien 5100s, and sumo springs on my 2500 with a 32’ camper. I’m about to buy a 37’ and will have to jump through all of this again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I’m pretty sure it’s not set right. I’m hoping that is the issue, otherwise I’m buying a f450.

Truck is a 3/4 ton. No way I’d pull this with a 1/2 even though people do.

I work night shift 2th. I did read online that working nights leads to many health problems and I pretty much can agree with it.

Quote Originally Posted by SCHUNTINFANATIC View Post
    Why? It ain’t about the length bo, it’s the weight.
    You're exactly right, and a half ton truck ain't got the ass the control either.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

I saw someone on facepage towing an 8k camper with a Tahoe the other day. Asking others “why you scared?”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk