Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bumper Pull Campers and hitch set ups….

Default Bumper Pull Campers and hitch set ups….

Hypothetically if you had a f250 gas with 4.30 gears, and a 37’ GVWR 10195 lbs bumper pull travel trailer what type of hitch would you be looking for?

Never pulled a 37’ shit box on wheels so please excuse my ignorance on the topic. I’ve tried the FB groups and answers have ranged from regular ball all the way to a $3k propride 3P.

Trailer is new and will not be loaded up on the initial 2hr ride home involving I95 and I26.

Thanks in advance!

KRT
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

weight distribution hitch is what I used when I pulled the Airstream my wife used to have. I would have the place the camper was purchased from advise me on the hitch needed to safely tow the camper.
    Bone....

https://www.blueox.com/swaypro-weigh...hitch/?weight=

Thats the hitch I have for my 34ft bumper pull. 9k pounds. From the RV forums it seems to be the best on the market. I picked it up off FB marketplace for $350. I would not buy new, there are plenty on there for sale where people bought RV's and paid for them, then sold the RV and are looking to get them out of the way cheap.

Biggest thing on any of them is tongue weight. Make sure its rated for the tongue weight of the trailer, along with Gross weight.

With a dually, you don't need one. And you would probably be alright 99% of the time with a SRW 3/4 ton pickup. The bigger and heaver the trailer and tow rig the better they pull but mine is rock solid no matter what passes me on the interstate, no sway at all with that hitch. Its a peace of mind for sure.
    Last edited by Fireman; 03-14-2024 at 03:02 PM.

Equalizer e4. Screw messing with chain style sway hitches

I may have one to get rid of
    I will look shortly

Short Story - Buy the Pro-Pride
    Long Story- I have a 36' that crosses the scales @9,200lbs with 1,390 tongue weight. I have pulled it with a Blue Ox Pro with 1400lb bars on a 7.3 excursion, and '21 Duramax 2500, it moved more than I liked. Not that it was unsafe, but it was squirrely at times and just was not a pleasurable tow for 3-4 hrs. Could have been partly the hitch and partly the soft suspension on the trucks. I now pull it with a Pro-Pride and a F350 7.3 gas, and can drive with one hand on the wheel if I want. A camper that long is such a wind grab, and you are going to move some no matter what you do, but with the pro-pride it feels more like the camper and truck move together, rather the tail waggin the dog. Very comfortable driving 60-65, which is plenty fast for me pulling that single wide down the hiway. If you want to try a blue ox- I got one I'll make you a deal on.

Thanks for the input!

I have the 10k version of this. Never had any issues. Needs to be set up correctly prior to towing. I’d do 12k in your case.

Skip the bumper pull and go straight to a 5th wheel.

GenY Torsion hitch. Don’t pull a camper but I pull a lot of heavy shit. It’s expensive but it’s been worth every penny.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I'm a fan of the Anderson Weight Distribution Hitch, (https://andersenhitches.com/product/...ibution-hitch/). I put a ton of miles on one and it did everything it's supposed to do. It costs more than most, but worth every penny. I pulled a 28', (loaded it crossed the CAT scales at 8,340 lbs), with my 5.0 F150 from southern Arizona, straight up through the Rockies into Canada, and then west all the way through Canada into Alaska. I aslo installed the RoadMaster Active Suspension, (https://activesuspension.com/), and feel it was a great help as well. I still have it on that truck and it's on rails in corners. No more squishy body roll on the curves! Was I pushing the limits of the truck?, absolutely, but it did fine and the Anderson hitch never let me down.
    Last edited by BrowningGold; 03-15-2024 at 03:48 AM.
    "Truth, is treason, in the empire of lies"

Quote Originally Posted by DJ1 View Post
    Short Story - Buy the Pro-Pride
    Long Story- I have a 36' that crosses the scales @9,200lbs with 1,390 tongue weight. I have pulled it with a Blue Ox Pro with 1400lb bars on a 7.3 excursion, and '21 Duramax 2500, it moved more than I liked. Not that it was unsafe, but it was squirrely at times and just was not a pleasurable tow for 3-4 hrs. Could have been partly the hitch and partly the soft suspension on the trucks. I now pull it with a Pro-Pride and a F350 7.3 gas, and can drive with one hand on the wheel if I want. A camper that long is such a wind grab, and you are going to move some no matter what you do, but with the pro-pride it feels more like the camper and truck move together, rather the tail waggin the dog. Very comfortable driving 60-65, which is plenty fast for me pulling that single wide down the hiway. If you want to try a blue ox- I got one I'll make you a deal on.
    I'm needing one too and really want to look at this but I'm scared to Google Pro-Pride. Can you post a link? Or maybe my phone will do Jedi mind tricks and just start posting it in my feeds,
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

https://www.propridehitch.com/

I hate to buy one from the dealer only to turn around and buy a second, especially at this price point. With all the other essentials this is turning out way worse than I thought.

There are some great videos comparing them, but I always wonder if they are always warranted or if people are justifying their purchase. I feel like I’ve got plenty of truck as far as weight, I’m more concerned with sway. I could be completely wrong also. Don’t want to cause any accidents for sure!

I run the Centerline TS and have had zero issues with it since 2015. I like it because the bars slide into the hitch and pin in place. I do not like the ones where the weight distribution bars pop in from the bottom. My brother ran one of those and had a bar pop out while towing home from Edisto once. I also recommend adding some air bags to the rear suspension on your truck. World of difference in the ride while you are towing. Make sure whoever installs your hitch does it on level ground before you tow it home.

Been towing these shitboxes for 30+ years, but it makes the wife happy to have her towable doll house.

This is the one I've been running for a while and it works great. It has the built in steering stabilizers.

https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...e/RP66084.html

Do not buy what the dealer pushes. I made that mistake when we bought our first. It did pretty good for that camper but not for the second one. I’ve looked at the shocker, bulletproof with the sway control, Andersen, blue ox, and pro-pride. Don’t think you can go wrong with those. I can’t stand the equalizer hitch. As far as pulling it home goes, have them put some water in your fresh tank, not a ton but unloaded they are weighted heavy to the rear and you will want more weight up front to help ride. I use my tanks like ballasts when traveling to get my weight right. You don’t want a full tank because the straps that hold them aren’t the best.
    For the ducks

Wdhigh--I wanted to tow the camper to my comfort level. As seen here in this thread and all over the internet, everyone has their own comfort level when towing. For me, it took the pro-pride, not happy about it, but I'm comfortable with it. Only you will be able to determine your comfort level. I agree your truck will handle the weight, and if it is too soft, you can get airbags or the RAS as mentioned above. It is the sense of sway in my butt-o-meter that made me buy the pro-pride.

I think I noticed you posted in a thread that you are a clay shooter.... If you want to start out with a hitch, my offer to you is..Let's meet up, you pay for a round of clays somewhere between Rock Hill and where ever you live, and you leave with a blue.ox hitch...

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Does your truck have the camper package or anti-sway bar? Trailer tow package? Set the trailer up in it, these new trucks have some tech that makes towing a breeze.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Redleg Camo View Post
    I have the 10k version of this. Never had any issues. Needs to be set up correctly prior to towing. I’d do 12k in your case.
    I pull mine with an F250 and this hitch right here. I've got no complaints.