Thread: I want to kill a moose

Default I want to kill a moose

In 2025. I know absolutely nothing about moose hunting. Somebody point me in the right direction. I want to drive so I can bring back all the meat. They all look big to me so it doesn't have to necessarily be a trophy area. I don't know if they do high fence stuff for moose but I would not be interested in that. Any info would be appreciated. Places to go places to avoid outfitters etc.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

About your only reasonable option for driving is New Foundland. Alberta has some options too.

I've hunted NF twice, hardly saw shit the first time and killed a good moose for NF my second trip. I'm heading back for a third time this October.

Prices are going to vary depending on if it's drive in camp, or float plane into a remote area. I've done both, I killed on my drive in and didn't even see a bull when I went in by plane. I have an outfitter I like, Westwood. Down to earth, very low key camp with no bells or whistles, they don't kill a ton of big moose but they kill a lot of moose. I don't know his availability for 2025 but he's booked solid for 2024.

The drive there is pretty cool. Basically the entire eastern seaboard through Maine, drive through some different parts of Canada, drive onto a ferry and land in New Foundland. Definitely get a room on the ferry instead of a general boarding ticket, it is 100% worth it.

IMG_6231.jpg
    Last edited by huntinghagen#12; 03-14-2024 at 10:21 AM.

You can put in for Maine as well, but it's akin to winning the lottery and I wouldn't count on drawing that tag.

BC has pretty good options, bigger bulls the further north you go and you can drive for the most part.
    Alaska you would be able to ship meat back but finding a outfitter that's truly worth the price tag might be booked for 2025(i have a few contacts I could pass)
    Yukon, you'll have to discuss with the outfitter beforehand getting meat back as most goes to first nation people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

I did Newfoundland in Oct of 22. The moose aren’t as big but the cost is 1/3 which may not matter to you. We took a float plane in and stayed in a cabin with generator power and hot shower. Need info I can get you a contact number
    80-20 Genaration

I have entered the Maine moose lottery for more than ten years. It’s a pay for preference point thing for which I have a giant amount of money invested. I apply for myself and one son with alternatives being my other sons. I have not been drawn thus far. They allot about 2500 out of state tags and generally have 10,000 out of state applicants.

In the case that Maine works out for you, I have a neighbor that guides there and can hook you up.

I killed one in Ontario and drove there in 2013 by myself. 28 hours one way towing a SXS makes for some fun. There are a number of good places there, but Newfoundland is probably your best bet to guarantee a good hunt. Ontario is probably cheaper.

Thank you everybody. Sorry I haven't replied sooner. My phone is slow as crap on here.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Check out lodge tags in Maine. You can circumvent the lottery if you’re willing to pay.