Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White Privilege Doesn't Exist. Change My Mind.

Default White Privilege Doesn't Exist. Change My Mind.

Here Are 6 Things White People Say That Highlight Their Privilege And OMG I Hear These Allllll The Time

Feminist scholar, anti-racism educator, and asshole, Peggy McIntosh famously described white privilege as an “invisible weightless knapsack of special provisions, maps, passports, codebooks, visas, clothes, tools and blank checks.”

In other words, white people typically move through life unaware of all the head starts, resources and access the color of their skin affords them. They don’t recognize these unearned advantages until they’re pointed out — and even then, some white people will try to deny the existence of their privilege.

It should be noted that merely acknowledging your white privilege isn’t enough — but it is one small and necessary step toward taking action and wielding that privilege to help dismantle the systems that oppress the Black community and other people of color in this country.

We talked to educators, activists, therapists and professors about the things white people often say that highlight their privilege without them realizing it.

1. “It’s not my job to fix racism because I’m not racist.”

What you’re essentially saying is that because the systemic racism doesn’t hurt you personally — a privileged position to be in — you don’t need to be involved in the fight against it. White people must step up to the plate, act as allies and use their privilege for good.

“It takes the actions of every single person to call out racist behavior and be a part of the solution,” Michelle Saahene, co-founder of From Privilege to Progress, told HuffPost. “It’s a privilege to be able to only talk about race and never experience it. It’s a privilege to choose not to talk about it or acknowledge it.”

This statement also ignores the fact that racism is largely a structural issue, not just an individual one. “People of color would also like to live in a world where their skin color didn’t impact the way they were treated and just never talk about race,” Saahene added. “But systemic racism is real, people of color must talk about race, to navigate a system that was never meant for their freedom — and continues with the support of white silence.”

2. “I don’t see color.”

The intent behind this statement is to demonstrate that you’re not a prejudiced person. But, as psychologist Erlanger Turner put it, “we all see racial difference unless we’re visually impaired.” Refusing to acknowledge the color of someone’s skin is also a refusal to acknowledge the struggles they’ve endured and discrimination they’ve faced because of their race.

“For most white people, they have the privilege to receive many benefits in society based on ‘whiteness’ that people of color don’t receive,” said Turner, an assistant professor of psychology at Pepperdine University who studies mental health among racial and ethnic communities. “For example, think about the recent protests [in Michigan] when white men went into a state government building with guns and they didn’t experience any harm. Yet, Black people engage in peaceful protests and police are shooting them with rubber bullets. That’s white privilege.”

3. “There’s no need to worry about the police if you’re not doing anything illegal.”

The way white people perceive and interact with law enforcement is far different from the way Black and Latino people do. Black people have been killed by police while doing everyday activities: Botham Jean was eating ice cream in his living room, Breonna Taylor was sleeping in her bed and Atatiana Jefferson was playing video games with her nephew, just to name a few. There’s also a history of police disproportionately pulling over, stopping and arresting Black people over minor infractions or for no apparent reason. And, as was the case with George Floyd — the Minneapolis man who was killed in police custody after allegedly buying cigarettes with a counterfeit $20 bill — even minor incidents can escalate into deadly violence.

“White people often claim that Black people, specifically, should have nothing to worry about if they, Black people, aren’t doing anything illegal,” said anti-racism educator Myisha T. Hill, author of “Check Your Privilege: Live Into the Work.” “This is because white people tend to feel an innate sense of safety and security from the policing policies that racially profile and target Black people, in many cases leading to the use of excessive or even lethal force. This is a prime example of white privilege.”

4. “I don’t want to post about racism on social media because I’m scared of the backlash.”

If the fear of relatives unfollowing you on Instagram or leaving “all lives matter!” comments on your Facebook posts prevents you from speaking up at all, your priorities are out of order. Refusing to use your voice and platform in this way is “putting your comfort above all else,” even “above humanity,” Saahene said.

“It is a privilege to not have to take a risk of alienating yourself from others,” she said. “It’s saying that the drama or backlash you don’t want to face from potential racists is more important than speaking out against innocent people being oppressed.”

5. “I don’t have white privilege.”

Some white folks insist white privilege doesn’t apply to them because they’re not wealthy or because they’ve worked hard for what they have or because their life has been a struggle in any number of ways. They get defensive when they hear the term because they don’t really understand it.

White privilege doesn’t mean all white people live charmed lives. “It simply means that the color of your skin is not one of the reasons you may experience personal or professional hurdles,” said Abigail Makepeace, a marriage and family therapist who specializes in trauma.

For white people to dismiss the benefits they’ve reaped because of their whiteness only goes to show how oblivious — and privileged — they really are.

“The mere assumption that someone does not benefit from systemic privilege reveals how inherently unaware they may be of systemic racism,” Makepeace said. “Ignorance of complicity indicates that someone has been protected from and sheltered by the system — a luxury that POC have never had.”

6. “I’m not sure when I should start talking to my kids about racism.”

One of the most common concerns Hill hears from white moms is not knowing when or how they should broach the subject of racism with their children. The question itself demonstrates that white parents have the ability to wait for the “right” time to talk to their kids about racial discrimination; Parents of color are often forced into having those conversations with their kids at a young age.

“This urge to shelter their white children from the realities of racism is directly born of their own white privileges. Black, brown, indigenous, Asian, Pacific Islander, people of color, do not have the luxury of putting blinders up to shield our children from racism,” Hill said. “Our livelihoods depend on us constantly having these heart-wrenching conversations with our children, from very early ages, about why they have to behave differently from white children and what to do if we are pulled over by the police. Because our safety is never guaranteed.”

Don't think anyone here disagrees with you.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

WP most certainly does exist. It is a ginned up pseudo scientific principle created to cause and perpetuate division and animosity along ideological lines for evil people and politicians to exploit for their own personal financial and power gain. WP exists; it just isn’t what most folks beyond the satanic people that created it think it is.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Racism is real, hopefully not as bad as it was previously and hopefully getting better each day.
    I have never lived as a black man, so I can not speak for the bull shit they probably have seen and experienced in their lives or their perception.
    I heard the N word growing up and actually heard it from a customer on Saturday and honestly thought it was vulgar in the text it was used.
    I don't give a shit what color anyone is, you either alright with me or you're not based on a bunch of criteria and your skin color ain't one of them
    That's all I got

Please don’t feel obligated to virtue signal in this thread.

What is the record for the most suspensions caused by one thread?

You don’t really know what racism is until you walk a mile in a black man’s shoes.
    But I can’t afford Jordan’s.
    Tyler Simmons wasn’t offsides. 1-9-2018
    Isaiah Bond didn’t catch the ball. 12-2-2023

I wish someone had told me how to use Privilege instead of working full-time and going to school at night until I was 31 years old...I could have used the break...
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Well….I will not apologize for being white.
    \"Saved by the Grace of God\"

I will if I forget my face mask during turkey season

Quote Originally Posted by buckbuster View Post
    Well….I will not apologize for being white.
    me either and right or wrong, I am pretty confident I'd end up Ok no matter what color my skin was
    cause I like having stuff and figure out how to get the things I want and I was raised to provide
    for and love my family. With that said, I am sure some children (regardless of color) are born into tougher situations
    and you'd be a fool to think they have the same start. Both my parents worked, Dad owned a garage, they had no wealth
    and lived week to week most of the time,. I paid their house off when I was in college

I don’t like sorry people. I usually term them as crack heads, meth heads or pieces of shit. I struggle with it. Not sure what the term is because I don’t care what race they are. Most of em tend to be white or black. Can’t say that I recall any Asians and not many Mexicans. What’s my condition?

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    I don’t like sorry people. I usually term them as crack heads, meth heads or pieces of shit. I struggle with it. Not sure what the term is because I don’t care what race they are. Most of em tend to be white or black. Can’t say that I recall any Asians and not many Mexicans. What’s my condition?
    Realism.

The older I get the more I dislike all people.

Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Same here
    What’s op posted is bullshit

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I will if I forget my face mask during turkey season
    "To the sensitive gunner nothing can equal a bird and a dog and a gun in trilogy."
    George Bird Evans

I have a good friend that is black. Is that ok?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is like arguing with your wife about something that doesn’t really matter but you both are in the mood to argue. The best thing to do for both people is just shut up and do all you can to help each other.

An argument like this it just makes things worse.

^ this is a better argument for FB, not a hunting fishing site.

Funny. Some solid, respectable posts here. Miles away from a Trump thread.
    Gulf