Thread: Healing PTSD, TBI, Anxiety and Depression

Default Healing PTSD, TBI, Anxiety and Depression

"Over 44 veterans per day (16,060 per year) take their lives daily by suicide, as they are unable to reintegrate back into society, scarred by the horrors of war and violence. They suffer from trauma, depression, anxiety, Traumatic Brain Injury, PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder), and panic attacks, while also dealing with physical injuries. These numbers get magnified by the addition of civilian lives lost due to similar traumatic events and mental disorders, as suicide comes at the top of the leading causes of death in the U.S.

Western medicine has been proven to be a little more than useless for these heroes, as the recommended treatment of SSRIs which come with severe side effects, including suicidal ideations.

In contrast, there are plant medicines that offer a natural and safe alternative. They have been used for centuries by indigenous cultures around the world. Past and latest studies show that these medicines can be highly effective in treating various mental conditions, such as PTSD, anxiety, depression, panic attacks, TBI, and more."

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

If you're passionate about the subject, my uncle (PhD, MDiv, DMin, EdD, Ret Capt USN; Chaplain) has done an enormous amount of work with the Navy and Marine boys and girls that come home with these ailments.

He's pushed the boundaries between Christianity and some of the eastern religions (Yoga, mindfulness meditation, etc). His process is biblically based, but he spends a lot of time connecting the dots between several religions and other disciplines back to the Bible.

https://www.warriorsatease.org/our-team-board

https://www.irest.org/about-irest-institute

He's got a new book out (very, very academic) that's extremely interesting. I've not read it yet, but the reviews I've read and the foreward that I read when my copy showed up tells me there's some very interesting ideas in there.

https://www.amazon.in/Transforming-M.../dp/B0CMG5QVW7

I'm very proud of what he pivoted his career in the Navy into when he retired.
    Last edited by turbo; 03-08-2024 at 12:37 PM.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Why do you think treatments such as these come with such stigma?

I, for one, fully believe in their restorative power. It's being documented daily and I think it's just a matter of time until their efficacy can't be disputed.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    If you're passionate about the subject, my uncle (PhD, MDiv, DMin, EdD, Ret Capt USN; Chaplain) has done an enormous amount of work with the Navy and Marine boys and girls that come home with these ailments.

He's pushed the boundaries between Christianity and some of the eastern religions (Yoga, mindfulness meditation, etc). His process is biblically based, but he spends a lot of time connecting the dots between several religions and other disciplines back to the Bible.

https://www.warriorsatease.org/our-team-board

https://www.irest.org/about-irest-institute

He's got a new book out (very, very academic) that's extremely interesting. I've not read it yet, but the reviews I've read and the foreward that I read when my copy showed up tells me there's some very interesting ideas in there.

https://www.amazon.in/Transforming-M.../dp/B0CMG5QVW7

I'm very proud of what he pivoted his career in the Navy into when he retired.
    That is awesome. Will check him out. That is a life well-lived, there.

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post

I, for one, fully believe in their restorative power. It's being documented daily and I think it's just a matter of time until their efficacy can't be disputed.
    Top-down processing and perception. The inability to receive information or experiences without filtering it through the lens of our history, biases, institutionalization, and dogma. They talk in that video about the irony of how the true medicines have been labeled "drugs" and what would/should be considered drugs, in the sense we use the term, are sold as medicines. We are the sickest we've ever been, physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually, but people can't let go of that belief system.

For certain.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

Don't underestimate the greed of the pharmaceutical industry.
    DILLIGAF

-Samuel Adams

Fear of the unknown drives a lot of it. But there has been an outright war against a lot of these treatments that started with "reefer madness" and "reefer causes black men to rape white women" and gained momentum with Nixon targeting hippies and blacks. They criminalized and demonized their recreational drugs of choice to make it more socially acceptable to lock them up and shut them up when the dot gov was gaining momentum on the authoritarian side of things. It's hard to undo 40-50 years of being told one bad trip and you'll think you can fly and kill yourself.

Now big medicine and big pharma do very well financially with chronic medical conditions. It's a self sustaining business model. And now on the mental health side you have lifelong repeat customers starting as young as 10 for some of these kids. 60-80+ years of prescription approvals x however many millions of people being prescribed these meds and that's a pretty good looking financial forecast. You start "curing" people and that will cut into the bottom line.

I don't think it's any one thing but a combination of a lot of things. Plant medicine works, but isn't easy. Taking a pill is easier than dealing with the stuff and with plant medicine you have no choice but to deal with your stuff. But once you're done, you're done.

https://www.newser.com/story/347418/...h-therapy.html

LSD is in phase 3 trials. It is a 1 time treatment. They call it MM120.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

just so play devil's advocate....

Before we go "blaming" someone on this. Its quite possible that LSD and mushrooms have been used in recreational ways that didn't lend itself to more research ($$) until more recently. Its not always big brother or some mean pharmaceutical company. It could be simply that these recreational drugs have not been tested for alternative uses until now. I agree with Glenn its been a bias against drug use. Not sure that's the worst bias out there and likely slowed the influx of money into this arena.

And, to be honest, why do we have to find someone to blame in this issue? It certainly needs more research, doesn't it? I hate to break the news to many of you but the allmighty dollar is still at work here.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    just so play devil's advocate....

Before we go "blaming" someone on this. Its quite possible that LSD and mushrooms have been used in recreational ways that didn't lend itself to more research ($$) until more recently. Its not always big brother or some mean pharmaceutical company. It could be simply that these recreational drugs have not been tested for alternative uses until now. I agree with Glenn its been a bias against drug use. Not sure that's the worst bias out there and likely slowed the influx of money into this arena.

And, to be honest, why do we have to find someone to blame in this issue? It certainly needs more research, doesn't it? I hate to break the news to many of you but the allmighty dollar is still at work here.
    It's no secret a lot of these alkaloids and compounds were criminalized for nefarious reasons. So there isn't a need to blame someone. It's just one of the reasons. LSD was being heavily researched for its mental health benefits until the government criminalized it in the 60's and all research had to stop. There doesn't HAVE to be a boogyman. But if there IS one, then there's nothing wrong with shining a light on it when someone ask "why?" Well, because of them. That's why.

I don't think a lot of that is still in play today. It's just left overs from that time period. Thankfully tides have and are turning, public perception is changing and the research that is being done is showing amazing results.
    Last edited by Glenn; 03-11-2024 at 12:15 PM.

there was no money in LSD research bc of the social stigma in the 60s.
    There is now.

its still about $$$, not health.
    But I totally agree there is medicinal value.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

No money?

Operation midnight?

You could ask Frank Olson about his knowledge and work with LSD and many other compounds, but the CIA killed him. The government had to admit they did and pay his family. It is suspected he had protested the barbaric use of LSD and other pshycadellics trying to find a "truth serum". Apparently we were using Black Sites in Germany, and WW2 USSR POW's left in Germany as test subjects.

But the CIA was heavily invested in LSD, millions of dollars, over several decades. Sidney Godlieb the "Black Sorcerer" later used LSD in his mind control experiments, MK Ultra being 1. We know this thanks to the Church committee.

His counterpart and student Jolly West was so interested in LSD he caused an elephant to over dose. He miscalculated the dosage, and added an extra decimal place. Very interesting story.
    https://www.theguardian.com/science/...search.science

There has been a ton of money poured into research, its just they were researching it for the wrong things, but surely locked away in some vault is all the research suggesting what they are "rediscovering".
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot