Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bluewings

Default Bluewings

For years I've been outspoken about the under utilization of bluewings in SC.

Thousands of birds stop off and utilize coastal category one WMA properties on their migrations southward.

I have brought up access to these properties for teal hunting for over a decade and have always been met with a myriad of reasons as to why that just won't do from our SCDNR, WAC, and Board.

Everything from concerns about destruction of roads, hunter safety concerning shotguns, to alligators, and even mosquitoes being a serious issue.

My valid rebuttals to these concerns fell on deaf ears.

Destruction of roads is a valid concern on Bear Island WMA. I get that.
    But that's nothing proper signs and maps can't fix.

But it doesn't seem to matter that SC early season teal hunters manage to not shoot themselves or each other just outside the dikes.
    Surely we aren't dealing with a more aggressive mosquito inside Murphy's dikes than we are in the ICW?

Gators? Since the inception of the alligator hunt program, the largest alligators killed have come from Marion or Moultrie.

Teal hunters wade thigh deep in lily pad ponds and shallow flats every year for teal season on these lakes.

In my opinion, we have an under utilized resource that could offer SC residents quality hunting.

I would like public opinion on open access to all coastal CAT1 WMAs for walk in/paddle boat teal hunting.

Discuss....
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Some of the best wing shooting I have in SC is shooting bluewings during early teal. Its always some lame excuse as to why we cant open up more access to waterfowl WMAs in this state. It seems to me that DNR just doesnt want to deal with idiots, or someone is lobbying for public access to not open up. There is no reason as to why these areas should not be open during early teal. Just my .02.

Open it up

Gators shmators.

Early teal is where it be!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Does this state have money to purchase more land for hunting like other states?
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Teal hunters wade thigh deep in lily pad ponds and shallow flats every year for teal season on these lakes.

Discuss....[/QUOTE]

Man you remember that one year down there 2012 or 14 heck I can’t remember but damn the teal! I should have gotten a Airbnb that week or so and stayed my gas bill was outrageous! Damn things were like gnats.
    Last edited by coot nasty; 03-04-2024 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by coot nasty View Post
    Does this state have money to purchase more land for hunting like other states?
    They had several million dollars to buy some water front land on Charleston Harbor as I recall Duck Tape waxing on eloquently about. Hell what happen to the BILLION dollar surplus in budget our state had just a year or two ago. Didn’t they send us like a 600 refund or some such? No reason for them not to open those areas for teal. It’s PUBLIC LAND.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Duck View Post
    They had several million dollars to buy some water front land on Charleston Harbor as I recall Duck Tape waxing on eloquently about. Hell what happen to the BILLION dollar surplus in budget our state had just a year or two ago. Didn’t they send us like a 600 refund or some such? No reason for them not to open those areas for teal. It’s PUBLIC LAND.
    And to answer Bogs question yes I think they should open it but not just for the coastal guys lol open them all! Don’t they allow other types of hunting in these areas after and before duck season?
    Last edited by coot nasty; 03-05-2024 at 05:25 AM.

I have enjoyed the blue wings in S Florida the last few days
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

when i used to shellcracker fish a lot, we would just wade.

a mudfish will scare you more than a gator.

hey boozer
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

In favor of more hunter access. Let's do it .
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    when i used to shellcracker fish a lot, we would just wade.

a mudfish will scare you more than a gator.

hey boozer
    Or a grass carp. They'll get your blood pumping when you walk up on one in the dark.

More access!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    More access!
    Hell you only need 15 preference points to be able to use it now!

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    For years I've been outspoken about the under utilization of bluewings in SC.

Thousands of birds stop off and utilize coastal category one WMA properties on their migrations southward.

I have brought up access to these properties for teal hunting for over a decade and have always been met with a myriad of reasons as to why that just won't do from our SCDNR, WAC, and Board.

Everything from concerns about destruction of roads, hunter safety concerning shotguns, to alligators, and even mosquitoes being a serious issue.

My valid rebuttals to these concerns fell on deaf ears.

Destruction of roads is a valid concern on Bear Island WMA. I get that.
    But that's nothing proper signs and maps can't fix.

But it doesn't seem to matter that SC early season teal hunters manage to not shoot themselves or each other just outside the dikes.
    Surely we aren't dealing with a more aggressive mosquito inside Murphy's dikes than we are in the ICW?

Gators? Since the inception of the alligator hunt program, the largest alligators killed have come from Marion or Moultrie.

In my opinion, we have an under utilized resource that could offer SC residents quality hunting.

I would like public opinion on open access to all coastal CAT1 WMAs for walk in/paddle boat teal hunting.

Discuss....
    Prayers sent. Ran into the same old tired and lame excuses when we were working on the Sunday hunting on public land. We were told people were going to die, souls would be lost to Hell, horses and horse owners were all going to get shot and killed, deer and turkeys would cease to exist etc etc.

When asked to show where all that negative stuff was happening in the states that do allow Sunday hunting on public there was no data to be produced and we were told "Well, SC is different and we don't care what other people do." (you have to say that in your best foghorn leghorn politician voice.

Bottom line is DNR didn't want it and DNR doesn't want you hunting teal on those properties either.

But hey, they bought you a $23 million dollar monastery on James Island you'll never be able to step foot on. So you got that going for you.

contrarian
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 03-05-2024 at 12:23 PM.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    contrarian
    Baptist and warshed inna blood.

Never even been to a contrarian church.

Are you proposing 2 days a week? 7 days a week?

I think opening it up would be great. Cut off shooting at 11a? Out by 1230?

If you open it up 7 days just like public water without a cut off, I think your teal numbers that are in the area will plummet. Private guys flooded up and Florida guys would probably appreciate it though.

If anything has been proven its that the typical public river gunner needs some guidance on what to do from a courteous and effective hunt. If you want more hunters per impoundment than a tamie pond, let it be wide open access.

A morning of draw to limit access would be fair.

Line up at the kiosk, draw for your spot, if you hit the number super, go hunt. If you want to show up with 3 buddies, each gets a draw and if one guy hits, y'all hunt. If you don't hit the number, try again next draw day or go hunt river. Oregon does a similar draw for public land ducks. Figure out how to pay somebody to run the number draw. Each draw could be for a spot from 1-4 hunters? if two hit, split to twos or shoot 4 wide

(100 chips, lined up when you get there in order you got there, lowest 10 numbers get to go) Or something to that effect based on how big of a WMA you're hunting.

Unlimited, unrestricted access won't work out well I'm afraid.

You have to provide your own transportation to the WMA and your own boat( if your using it) to limit liability on state.

If we take viable solutions to the board/legislature/biologists we are more likely to get somewhere faster than saying "hey, open this up."
    Last edited by scdiver; 03-05-2024 at 04:07 PM.

The Wood ducks vote no. They take enough of a beating on public land during teal season.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 03-05-2024 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scdiver View Post
    Are you proposing 2 days a week? 7 days a week?

I think opening it up would be great. Cut off shooting at 11a? Out by 1230?

If you open it up 7 days just like public water without a cut off, I think your teal numbers that are in the area will plummet. Private guys flooded up and Florida guys would probably appreciate it though.

If anything has been proven its that the typical public river gunner needs some guidance on what to do from a courteous and effective hunt. If you want more hunters per impoundment than a tamie pond, let it be wide open access.

A morning of draw to limit access would be fair.

Line up at the kiosk, draw for your spot, if you hit the number super, go hunt. If you want to show up with 3 buddies, each gets a draw and if one guy hits, y'all If you don't hit the number, try again next draw day or go hunt river. Oregon does a similar draw for public land ducks. Figure out how to pay somebody to run the number draw.

(100 chips, lined up when you get there in order you got there, lowest 10 numbers get to go) Or something to that effect based on how big of a WMA you're hunting.

Unlimited, unrestricted access won't work out well I'm afraid.

You have to provide your own transportation to the WMA and your own boat( if your using it) to limit liability on state.

If we take viable solutions to the board/legislature/biologists we are more likely to get somewhere faster than saying "hey, open this up."
    Well put